All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,419 times)

genocyber

genocyber

I like how we've gotten to know absolutely zero members of the bridge crew through this show. Who the f**k is that robot Data woman who we keep seeing? When is she going to be a character?

Sabby

Sabby

Yeah, honestly just feels like something someone was making that was just stapled onto an existing franchise, hoping to get a free ride. If it was just it's own show with no connection to Star Trek whatsoever, it would be an average science fiction show. Reminds me a lot of Stargate Universe in that regard. Average at best science fiction show that could be easily removed from the Stargate series and get less criticism if it did.

SM

SM

Currently a few episodes into re-watching series two of the original series.  It's got a charm that is utterly lacking from every other iteration of the show, but there is some bizarre shit too.  Watched The Changeling last night, Uhura gets her mind wiped, but is able to relearn to read in a matter of hours (her speaking Swahili was a great touch though).  And Kirk and co. have a good chuckle on the bridge at the end despite four redshirts being vapourised by Nomad.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: genocyber on Nov 27, 2017, 11:22:53 PM
I like how we've gotten to know absolutely zero members of the bridge crew through this show. Who the f**k is that robot Data woman who we keep seeing? When is she going to be a character?

That's a deliberate thing. The main characters of Discovery aren't the bridge crew. Personally, I find it refreshing. And we're only 8 episodes in anyway. Plenty of room to expand out this different set of main characters.

Quote from: Sabby on Nov 27, 2017, 11:53:00 PM
Yeah, honestly just feels like something someone was making that was just stapled onto an existing franchise, hoping to get a free ride. If it was just it's own show with no connection to Star Trek whatsoever, it would be an average science fiction show. Reminds me a lot of Stargate Universe in that regard. Average at best science fiction show that could be easily removed from the Stargate series and get less criticism if it did.

I still think it's too early to give any definitive label on Discovery like this. I'll wait to see how it all reconiles with the canon as it apparently is going to. I will give you that the aesthetics don't fit in right with the supposed timeline which is why I head-canon it to be set within the Kelvin-verse but the battle of ethics are there in the characters and it's so refreshing to have a set of characters that don't follow the same template time and time again.

Same as Universe. I will stand by that show until the end of time. It may have been slow going but it was Stargate. It was just a different take on it and once it found it's feet after that first quarter it just kept getting better and better and better. Time has to be one of the best episodes of Stargate ever.

Quote from: SM on Nov 28, 2017, 12:03:11 AM
And Kirk and co. have a good chuckle on the bridge at the end despite four redshirts being vapourised by Nomad.

:laugh: Pretty standard. To be honest, I do think TOS is all over the place. There's some cracking stuff in that show but some truly f**king weird crap.

Also  :laugh:

https://trekmovie.com/2017/11/27/william-shatner-blocks-jason-isaacs-on-twitter/

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

That could be said about ever Trek series. Need I bring up TNG Season 1? :laugh:

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 28, 2017, 03:25:23 PM
That could be said about ever Trek series. Need I bring up TNG Season 1? :laugh:

Good point. The Original Series had some very good episodes in the first season including; "The Corbomite Maneuver", "The Menagerie 1&2",  "Space Seed", and "The City on the Edge of Forever".
- But that was not typical of the ST franchise.
The first season of both The Next Generation and Deep Space 9 had almost all subpar episodes.
Yet many fans believe that TNG and DS9 are the best Star Trek series. They got a lot better.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 28, 2017, 10:56:47 AM
I'll wait to see how it all reconiles with the canon as it apparently is going to. I will give you that the aesthetics don't fit in right with the supposed timeline which is why I head-canon it to be set within the Kelvin-verse...

I think there is no way to fix this canon issue with the extensive use of the spore drive in the series and it being known throughout the Federation.
So, Discovery is alternate reality (Kelvin?) Trek for me.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 28, 2017, 10:56:47 AMbut the battle of ethics are there in the characters and it's so refreshing to have a set of characters that don't follow the same template time and time again.

Agreed.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 28, 2017, 10:56:47 AMSame as Universe. I will stand by that show until the end of time. It may have been slow going but it was Stargate. It was just a different take on it and once it found it's feet after that first quarter it just kept getting better and better and better. Time has to be one of the best episodes of Stargate ever.

I'm completely with you on "Stargate Universe". Yes, it didn't have the humor of the other Stargate series (being influenced by the Battlestar Galactica reboot). But I thought it was very good TV space travel science fiction.
- But the blow back on the web, from mostly hardcore Richard Dean Anderson fans, was very harsh. They started a campaign to kill "SG: Universe". There was even a website saying that the show should die. The campaign helped to end the series and another result was that the proposed "SG: Atlantis" TV movie didn't happen.

;)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I ordered the first volume of The Fifty Year Mission last night. It should be interesting given it's an unauthorized, uncensored history of the franchise.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: bb-15 on Nov 28, 2017, 07:37:26 PM
I'll wait to see how it all reconiles with the canon as it apparently is going to. I will give you that the aesthetics don't fit in right with the supposed timeline which is why I head-canon it to be set within the Kelvin-verse...

I think there is no way to fix this canon issue with the extensive use of the spore drive in the series and it being known throughout the Federation.

Someone I play Attack Wing with suggested that they'd solve it by somehow de-stabilising the entire magical mushroom network so it's just not usable which I think would work.

ace3g

ace3g

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: ace3g on Dec 05, 2017, 01:54:17 AM
See where this goes

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/937860099363635201

Sam Jackson shows up and shows Discovery how F bombs are done. ;D ;)

ace3g

ace3g

Sam Jackson would be the MF'ing Captain!!!

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 29, 2017, 10:08:16 AM
Quote from: bb-15 on Nov 28, 2017, 07:37:26 PM

Someone I play Attack Wing with suggested that they'd solve it by somehow de-stabilising the entire magical mushroom network so it's just not usable which I think would work.

Thanks for the theory.
I think it's pretty amusing that a network which can instantly connect the entire universe can suddenly be completely dysfunctional.
But "Discovery" has done some pretty wacky things with the spore drive so who knows?

;) 

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 29, 2017, 10:08:16 AM

Pretty sure i posted a similar idea in this very thread.  :P

And L'rell is currently in a position to do some spy shenanigans...

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Magical mushrooms...? Now I want a John Boorman/Rospo Pallenberg Trek film. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed