All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,383 times)

skhellter

skhellter

Another decent episode.

But it was the first with a really unintentionally funny scene.
(Sarek-Fu?)  :laugh:

And Trek Trivia -

Lots of fans are freaking out about the holodecks in this new episode.. but..

Holodecks first showed up in an episode of the Animated Series.
Way back in the 60's.. The Enterprise had that tech, way before The Next Generation.

Animated series was never seriously considered part of the canon.. but i love it.. so  :-*

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Perhaps it's just a case of them being not widespread until TNG days. I can't remember Season 1 well enough to be specific. Or more specifically, it's a combat training simulator rather than an actual holodeck.

But that makes what? 2 TAS nods? Seems they really did some classic research for this. lol

Oh and it was also pretty interesting about Sarek. It gives his falling out with Spock and his attitude in Babel (I think that's the episode?) some added depth.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Really enjoyed the latest episode. Despite it being such a dark take on the time loop thing, it was a pretty fun episode, I think. I quite enjoy this more serious take on Mudd - though I understand how folk can be a little pissed at that ending.

Nice to see the character dynamics evolving too.

skhellter

skhellter

Last episode was probably the best of the show so far.

And the best Harry Mudd episode.. ever?
Dude really mellowed out in the TOS era.  :laugh:

Wycleaf Jean out of nowhere.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 01, 2017, 12:25:41 PM
And the best Harry Mudd episode.. ever?
Dude really mellowed out in the TOS era.  :laugh:

Yeah...maybe he sought some help for those murderous tenancies?  :laugh:

Looking forward to the new episode tonight.

Work on Season 2 starts shortly - https://trekmovie.com/2017/11/05/showrunner-reveals-work-on-star-trek-discovery-season-2-to-begin-in-two-weeks/

SM

SM

Couple of episodes behind on Discovery 'cos I noticed TOS is on Netflix, so I'm catching up on all the shows I haven't seen since the 70s.

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: Vermillion on Oct 20, 2017, 02:36:43 AM
The F word in Trek.
Not needed. 

Entertaining though

We've had "Way cool", "Groovy", and a Frat party complete with music that would be dated today, let alone in the future. Kind of wish we could have just stopped at the swearing.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Sabby on Nov 11, 2017, 03:26:02 PM
The F word in Trek.
Not needed. 

Entertaining though

We've had "Way cool", "Groovy", and a Frat party complete with music that would be dated today, let alone in the future. Kind of wish we could have just stopped at the swearing.

I wish you could have stopped at calling the lead character a "c**t".
But you're still shitposting in this thread.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And YOU'RE one of the people complaining about the F word in Trek?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sabby

Sabby

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 11, 2017, 03:41:12 PM
Quote from: Sabby on Nov 11, 2017, 03:26:02 PM
The F word in Trek.
Not needed. 

Entertaining though

I wish you could have stopped at calling the lead character a "c**t".
But you're still shitposting in this thread.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: And YOU'RE one of the people complaining about the F word in Trek?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, the swearing itself doesn't bother me, just feels a bit out of place. Like I said, it's kind of a small gripe, all things considered.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Nudity now.
Albeit brief. 
It's just odd for Trek.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 10, 2017, 07:45:36 AMI imagine it's in the Kelvin-verse, personally.

Agreed for a couple of reasons;
* Instant multiple light year transportation by Starfleet has always been limited in the franchise. Otherwise a 5 year mission could last 5 months.
"Star Trek Discovery" with its spore drive in several episodes makes light year transport far too easy.
- That fits the style of the Kelvin alternate reality with its transwarp beaming which was done in Abrams' ST movies. In "Into Darkness" it was pretty routine where Khan (John Harrison) beamed from earth to Qo'noS, of the Klingon Empire, in seconds.

- Original universe Star Trek stories that tried long distance instant transport. Had it as a failure; ST Enterprise "Daedalus" (sub-quantum transporter); or it was too unstable to be used more than once; TNG "Bloodlines" (subspace transporter).
- Or instant long distance transport could only be used by aliens; TOS "Assignment Earth".

* Spore drive cannot blend into TOS, TNG, DS9 and especially Voyager (where that crew certainly would have discussed something like this if it had existed).

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 10, 2017, 07:45:36 AMStill not keen on the Klingon ship designs.

Very much agree. The "ST Discovery" designs for the Klingon ships (like the warbirds) don't modernize what was done before but just make arbitrary changes.
- And these Klingons can't speak clearly due to all the makeup. A problem if compared with Worf from TNG/DS9.

* Overall; this is Kurtzman's series. He had worked on the JJ Abrams ST movies. And the style of JJ's alternate reality idea fits "ST Discovery" very well no matter if the producers deny that.
- As entertainment after the first 5 episodes, I'm enjoying a lot of it as I did with the 2009 Star Trek movie. From the quality visuals, it's clear that Netflix put a lot of money into this series.
But that flashiness only works if I keep reminding myself that this is an alternate reality, (like the Mirror Universe or Kelvin Trek) and it is not original universe Star Trek.

;)

PS. Saw episode 6. Enjoyed the story. But a holodeck? Another reason this should be part of the Kelvin alternate reality. 
PPS. Episode 7 Mudd (like a twin from the Mirror Universe) does not fit with his character in TOS.

Vermillion

Vermillion

They jumped to the TOS universe out of the mirror universe.   
This trek is entertaining. Despite the straying from Roddenberry's bible...
Looking forward to the next episodes

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

The F word in Trek.
Not needed. 

Entertaining though

Funny how you had fans wanted Trek to be more adult and mature for years.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Real Trekkers would follow Roddenberry's lead and not what the pseudo-fans want.

Imagine TNG with boobs and swearing.   
Would it be like Game of Thrones?
Fully functional Data.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Roddenberry got kicked upstairs for a reason after TMP.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed