All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,277 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 14, 2015, 10:02:38 PM
That trailer was shit. This film looks terrible. f**king Justin Lin, really? I didn't know he was directing. I swear Paramount has completely lost focus on what ST is supposed to be about: exploration.

By all accounts, this is actually a result of them doing just that. Exploring. And the best Trek films have been actiony.

I really want to like these new films but I just can't get into them. I didn't really dig the trailer. It looked kind of shallow. The only bit I really liked in it was the bit with Bones and Spock.

The Son of Paragus

The Son of Paragus

The trailer felt a bit all over the place.

Bjørn Half-hand

Bjørn Half-hand

So the reports that Paramount wanted Star Trek to be like Guardians of The Galaxy turned out to be accurate by the looks of this trailer.
Looks like utter s**t.
I've had a tradition of going to see every Star Trek movie with my dad, since ''The Undiscovered Country''. This might be the only one we don't bother with.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 15, 2015, 08:53:51 AM
That trailer was shit. This film looks terrible. f**king Justin Lin, really? I didn't know he was directing. I swear Paramount has completely lost focus on what ST is supposed to be about: exploration.

By all accounts, this is actually a result of them doing just that. Exploring. And the best Trek films have been actiony.

I really want to like these new films but I just can't get into them. I didn't really dig the trailer. It looked kind of shallow. The only bit I really liked in it was the bit with Bones and Spock.

Yeah, actiony to a point. They didn't have one-liners or slow-mo or OTT moments. I'd call Star Treks IV and VI action-packed but it wasn't ridiculous.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 15, 2015, 11:10:08 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 15, 2015, 08:53:51 AM

Yeah, actiony to a point. They didn't have one-liners or slow-mo or OTT moments. I'd call Star Treks IV and VI action-packed but it wasn't ridiculous.
Totally agreeing with Doom here. What that trailer showed me was not a Star Trek movie, in fact it didn't even look like a good movie of any kind.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Good God! that was awful!!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 15, 2015, 11:55:38 PM
Totally agreeing with Doom here. What that trailer showed me was not a Star Trek movie, in fact it didn't even look like a good movie of any kind.

Don't misunderstand me - I think the trailer looked awful. As I said above, it looked so shallow. I just don't think it's issues lie with it being action. I was thinking more of TWoK and First Contact when I said the best movies. Both are very action heavy movies with some silly quotable dialogue.

I want to like these new movies. I really do but they're so frustrating to watch. They're so stupid.

http://www.techinsider.io/george-takei-reviews-star-trek-trailer-2015-12

http://trekmovie.com/2015/12/15/41155/

Elba's new bad guy is called Kraal apparently.

QuoteI really like his character because he's challenging the Federation's philosophy, and it's something growing up I wanted to see. He's a character that has a distinct philosophy. Sometimes I watch Trek and I see utopia in San Francisco, and you think "They don't have money, so how do they live, how do they compete?" Those are things that his character, in a way, has a very distinct and valid point of view about...when someone is really challenging a way of life, how the Federation should act, I can see – right or wrong – that this is a valid point of view, and that's a point of entry."

That certainly sounds more like Trek.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2015, 09:43:08 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Dec 15, 2015, 11:55:38 PM

Don't misunderstand me - I think the trailer looked awful. As I said above, it looked so shallow. I just don't think it's issues lie with it being action. I was thinking more of TWoK and First Contact when I said the best movies. Both are very action heavy movies with some silly quotable dialogue.

I want to like these new movies. I really do but they're so frustrating to watch. They're so stupid.

http://www.techinsider.io/george-takei-reviews-star-trek-trailer-2015-12

http://trekmovie.com/2015/12/15/41155/

Elba's new bad guy is called Kraal apparently.

QuoteI really like his character because he's challenging the Federation's philosophy, and it's something growing up I wanted to see. He's a character that has a distinct philosophy. Sometimes I watch Trek and I see utopia in San Francisco, and you think "They don't have money, so how do they live, how do they compete?" Those are things that his character, in a way, has a very distinct and valid point of view about...when someone is really challenging a way of life, how the Federation should act, I can see – right or wrong – that this is a valid point of view, and that's a point of entry."

That certainly sounds more like Trek.
Well I thought you were agreeing with doom actually... the trailer was underwhelming at best. However on the later point, yes, ST is about dilemma and philosophical questions. There's a purpose to the movie. That's why I call the first two in the reboot bad ST films cause none of that was present. I mean f**k that entire Nero... I mean there was nothing. Then Darkness was with a maniacal robocop trying to kill Khan and the whole thing about the torpedoes... so what. There wasn't any lesson to be taught. Then there's Khan's superblood... good grief. I guess looking back, ST1 was trying to be a hard sci-fi movie, ala 2001. Yea it was boring. Then Khan was about revenge and totally forgetting that perhaps you should check-in on people you marooned. The Search for Spock was about loyalty and the dangers of stepping beyond your capabilities because you got impatient. The Voyage Home is about our current stupidity and arrogance. The Final Frontier tried to do something, I think, but at least it taught us, what does god need with a star ship. Meh, Shatner directed that one I think. The Undiscovered Country had, let them die. I watched the TNG movies but for the love of me I can't remember shit from them. I do remember thinking FC wasn't all that great though. I watched it a while ago and it sure didn't age well.

Now it seems at least they're attacking philosophy in this movie but then that trailer with the chick that kicks... f**k me man. :P

Wrecktangle

Wrecktangle

Trailer looks absolutely woeful. Wow.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/jj-abrams-and-the-long-road-to-star-wars%23.pyR358Xp27#.xv61mPBay

QuoteBut his follow-up, Star Trek Into Darkness, did not receive the same across-the-board positive critical and fan response. The first movie was written by Kurtzman and Orci; they signed on to write the sequel, along with Damon Lindelof, Abrams' collaborator on Lost (who had been a producer of Star Trek). "I take full responsibility for this — I was encouraging the writers in certain directions, and we were working on the script and putting it together," Abrams said. "But by the time we started shooting, and this was literally at the very beginning of the shoot, there were certain things I was unsure of."

"Any movie, any story has a fundamental conversation happening during it," he continued. "There's a fundamental argument; there's a central question. And I didn't have it."

The first movie, according to Abrams, had a "very strong story" about "two orphans who are completely at odds, who then come to realize they need to work together to survive"; the second did not. Kirk and Spock remained the film's central characters, but, Abrams asked: "What was their issue? What was their dynamic? What was their problem?" He answered: "And it wasn't really clear."

"It was a little bit lightweight, ultimately, that Kirk was disappointed that Spock didn't feel that their friendship was as meaningful to him as it did to Kirk, which is sort of what we're saying," Abrams said. "And that Spock's arc is coming to unabashedly love his friend Kirk."

Then there was Khan. Word leaked out early that the canonical Star Trek villain would be featured in Into Darkness, and that Benedict Cumberbatch would be playing him. The spoiler-averse Abrams sought to put this genie back into the bottle, and said Cumberbatch was playing someone named John Harrison — true. But Harrison's real identity was Khan, and the attempt to fool fans only succeeded in angering them.

Abrams laughed while talking about it now: "At the end of the day, while I agree with Damon Lindelof that withholding the Khan thing ended up seeming like we were lying to people, I was trying to preserve the fun for the audience, and not just tell them something that the characters don't learn for 45 minutes into the movie, so the audience wouldn't be so ahead of it."
(He added: "But it was Simon Pegg who lied outright, and I adore him for doing so. I remember when I read that he basically said, 'He doesn't play Khan,' and I thought, Oh my god, Simon Pegg!")

Abrams did reshoots on Into Darkness, which he felt "helped a little bit here and there." But his problems with the final movie come back to its plot, which, he said, "was not anyone's fault but mine, or, frankly, anyone's problem but mine."

"I felt like, in a weird way, it was a little bit of a collection of scenes that were written by my friends — brilliantly talented writers — who I somehow misled in trying to do certain things. And yet, I found myself frustrated by my choices, and unable to hang my hat on an undeniable thread of the main story," Abrams said. "So then I found myself on that movie basically tap-dancing as well as I could to try and make the sequences as entertaining as possible. Thank god I had the cast that we have, who are so unbelievably fun to watch. And an incredible new villain in Benedict Cumberbatch."

"I would never say that I don't think that the movie ended up working," Abrams said. "But I feel like it didn't work as well as it could have had I made some better decisions before we started shooting."

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

It still looks better than TMP, Final Frontier and Insurrection. :P

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I saw the trailer tonight. The music in the trailer was awful, but I will give the movie a try. It could surprise us all and be good.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I do think it's a fairly meh trailer. I'll need some more context and plot details to give any real early thoughts on the movie itself. I like the idea of the crew being stranded on a strange planet, and what Elba has said about his character sounds interesting. I hope they work in some of moral ambiguity the Federation displayed in Into Darkness as part of the conflict.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Oh, they're doing this trick already, only the third movie in and already ignoring what came before.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10298472/star-trek-beyond-will-ignore-everything-that-happened-in-into-darkness

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed