All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,362 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I've met one or two East Indians that looked more white than anything else.

scarhunter92

Greedo

SM

SM

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 03, 2013, 09:04:43 PM
I've met one or two East Indians that looked more white than anything else.

Many people from northern India have fairer skin, especially compared to southern Indians.

Hardly call them 'white'.

Highland

Highland

I really don't get the fuss about the ethnicity of the character.

Why does having Khan played by an Indian guy make it better? Serious question.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

It's a very high-profile role, and very few of those ever go to Indian actors.

I did love Cabbagepatch in this, but I think it would've worked better if he were a different character.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Highland on Sep 09, 2013, 12:35:03 AM

I don't think it's so much 'better' or 'worse' as it is the fact that, while this is a reboot, it is still technically the same character as the one in the original series, just an alternative version in a different timeline. So one would assume that he looks the same (or at least as similar as the new Enterprise crew look in comparison to the original Enterprise crew) as he did in his previous appearance.

That being said, I personally had no problem with it. I loved Cumberbatch in the role.

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Sep 09, 2013, 12:37:31 AM
I did love Cabbagepatch in this, but I think it would've worked better if he were a different character.

Yeah, that would have been really cool as well. If John Harrison was just one of many supersoldiers that could have been unlocked, and Khan was among the ones sleeping with the potential of appearing in another film.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Maybe Section 31 turned him white... I guess?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I think it should be taken into account that many of these characters are "in name only", as not to simply rehash the exact same character traits of the TOS crew. Many of them all grow and change in different ways, have different companions, altered back stories, whatever; completely different universe with entirely different possibilities. Having Khan change ethnicity on top of character traits really doesn't phase me, nor does it surprise me.

He could've been Japanese or African, the point is that he was the commander of the Botany Bay, a conquerer from the Eugenics War, and the only, and most vicious of the augmented humans to be taken out of cryo (which, if I can recall, was specifically because he was the commander). Khan is just the name to be associated with that role, so character traits and ethnicity really don't make much of a difference on top of that.

And besides, wasn't there something about identity alteration, name being part of this, going on in Into Darkness?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 09, 2013, 12:55:19 AM
I think it should be taken into account that many of these characters are "in name only", as not to simply rehash the exact same character traits of the TOS crew. Many of them all grow and change in different ways, have different companions, altered back stories, whatever; completely different universe with entirely different possibilities. Having Khan change ethnicity on top of character traits really doesn't phase me, nor does it surprise me.

He could've been Japanese or African, the point is that he was the commander of the Botany Bay, a conquerer from the Eugenics War, and the only, and most vicious of the augmented humans to be taken out of cryo (which, if I can recall, was specifically because he was the commander). Khan is just the name to be associated with that role, so character traits and ethnicity really don't make much of a difference on top of that.

And besides, wasn't there something about identity alteration, name being part of this, going on in Into Darkness?

Yeah, he was working in cognito for Marcus and Section 31.

SM

SM

I haven't seen the flick so can't comment either way on the performance.  Casting someone of a particular racial group with someone from another racial group is something of a bug bear of mine.  It was a different time in the 1960s and couldn't be helped.  Using Montalban again Wrath of Khan made sense in terms of continuity, plus he delivered a great performance despite neither looking or sound Indian.

I wasn't all over the build up to Into Darkness, but wasn't it kept under wraps that Cumberbatch was playing a guy called Khan?  Casting someone with Indian heritage would've blown that surprise.

But site unseen - on general principle I personally would've preferred an Indian cast as an Indian character.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2013, 01:02:51 AM

I haven't seen the flick so can't comment either way on the performance.  Casting someone of a particular racial group with someone from another racial group is something of a bug bear of mine.  It was a different time in the 1960s and couldn't be helped.  Using Montalban again Wrath of Khan made sense in terms of continuity, plus he delivered a great performance despite neither looking or sound Indian.

I wasn't all over the build up to Into Darkness, but wasn't it kept under wraps that Cumberbatch was playing a guy called Khan?  Casting someone with Indian heritage would've blown that surprise.

But site unseen - on general principle I personally would've preferred an Indian cast as an Indian character.

To hide the twist does make a lot of sense although I wouldn't say the twist was all that revealing. I'm sure most of the Star Trek fans got it before the cat was out the bag. As a loose fan myself (I watch the shows, I follow the movies but, I wouldn't say I was a fan) , it made no difference to me that he was revealed as Khan, he might as well have stayed as John Harrison as far as impact goes.

The only other point I would question is that if Khan is a genetic creation, is he in fact Indian anyway? I don't remember (correction welcome) any of his other crew members being Indian, in fact I don't remember him being Indian relevant at all in the old movie (it has been quite some time since I saw it).

I could be completely wrong on all of that. Just my thoughts as a somewhat neutral.

SM

SM

I think the name and Nehru collars are a bit of a giveaway.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Sep 09, 2013, 12:55:19 AM

Yeah, that's how I always explained it away. The usual "alternate timeline" explanation doesn't really fit here, since the Eugenics War and the departure of the Botany Bay both occurred long before the Narada divergence.

scm

scm

Id rather have cumberbatch then get someone like dev patel. f**king avatar

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed