All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 348,546 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Do you guys think we'll ever achieve a Star Trek-style of life one day? Where humans explore space at will like that, making peace and alliances with other races?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I like to think that the achieving relative peace thing and exploring space on a grand scale will happen, but I guess that all depends on how the world goes moving forward.

About the other races, I guess that all depends on whether there are any (and is so whether they are anything vaguely at all like us).

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

It is my greatest hope for mankind that we eventually find other races which we are capable of having sex with. Be they Vulcan, Klingon, Orion Slave Girl, or Tribble.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 09, 2013, 03:32:24 AM
Do you guys think we'll ever achieve a Star Trek-style of life one day? Where humans explore space at will like that, making peace and alliances with other races?

The biggest thing that Star Trek has shown me, is that we didn't blow each other up to oblivion. That's all I want.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Although, according to the future-history of the series, we tried our damndest sometime in the 21st Century. And then the whole Eugenics War happened... :-\

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

My cynical side says things are more likely to end up like Babylon 5.

SM

SM

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 09, 2013, 03:43:14 AM
Although, according to the future-history of the series, we tried our damndest sometime in the 21st Century. And then the whole Eugenics War happened... :-\

Wasn't it the other way around?  Eugenics Wars in late 20th century and WW3 in 21st?

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I was under the impression that they ret-conned it sometime in the TNG era when it became evident that the Eugenics Wars weren't gonna happen in the 1990s.

I may be wrong, though. My knowledge of ST lore is a bit squiffy.

SM

SM

Oh, right.  My Star Trek timeline book is rather old.  Doesn't cover Voyager or any of the Next Gen films.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I just use Memory Alpha now and then.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Eh, I'll stick with the original chronology. It's much more fun to try and fit the Eugenics Wars into actual history.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I wasn't aware that Star Trek has such an extensive backstory, actually. Should be interesting to read up on a little bit of it, now that I'm finally getting into the franchise.

SM

SM

I'm guessing a lot of the backstory has changed now.  Or at least there's two versions.

Not including the mirror universe.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Xenokiller on Jun 16, 2013, 06:00:52 PM
Quote from: Alienseseses on Jun 16, 2013, 01:25:14 AM
I just saw ST:ID. I liked it a lot more than I expected to. I think it works because there were actual emotional arcs for the characters, despite the crazy goings-ons.

Spoiler
The ending was odd, though. Why didn't they draw blood from the other Khannies for Kirk? Why did they need Khan himself?
[close]
I suppose
Spoiler
1) they didn't want to risk waking up another one, you saw what one of them could do
2)They needed to stop Kahn anyway
[close]
Spoiler
The problem with (1) is that they do unfreeze another Khannie. Bones puts a guy into an induced coma so that he could make room in the freezer for Kirk.
[close]

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 09, 2013, 03:54:58 AM
I wasn't aware that Star Trek has such an extensive backstory, actually. Should be interesting to read up on a little bit of it, now that I'm finally getting into the franchise.

If you can, get your hands on The Star Trek Encyclopedia. Yes it's outdated, but it's a really great guide all the same for timelines and general info about what you see in the ST universe.

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jul 09, 2013, 03:36:40 AM
or Tribble.

So you're into bestiality. Fascinating.

;)

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 09, 2013, 03:35:31 AM
I like to think that the achieving relative peace thing and exploring space on a grand scale will happen, but I guess that all depends on how the world goes moving forward.

If we can stop squabbling over natural resources, maybe one day for sure. The thing with Star Trek is that it presents a world that isn't ruled by money anymore. The only thing that drives humanity forward is the desire for knowledge. Somehow, the current economic system would have to be abolished for that to happen.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed