All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 346,374 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

No kidding he shouldn't have to apologize. I guess feminists are just a tad more touchy than people thought.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

At least it wasn't Bibi Besch.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Funny how a shirtless Kirk in both movies (and countless episodes, come to think of it) was never a problem...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That's equality for you.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I guess everyone's cool with Orion chicks in their skivvies?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 21, 2013, 06:52:21 AM

Definitely a fantasy of mine.  :P

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 21, 2013, 06:09:30 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/damon-lindelof-apologizes-for-carol-marcus-underwear-scene-in-star-trek-into-darkness

I just facepalmed.
That scene should not have to be apologized for. It was just Kirk taking a peek... he's Kirk... and she's Alice Eve. Oh well, it's not the kind of movie you want controvertial PR surrounding, so I guess a transparent apology is better than letting angry hyper-sensitive soccer moms and their 'convinced' boyfriends/second husbands fester and make a stir. For god's sake, if it has something to do with a highly intelligent female character being seen in their underwear, they should try watching the first Abrams movie.

Objectify my ass.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I'm definitely getting a sarcastic vibe from that apology. Lindleof is a smart guy, he knows as well as everyone else that these people are just looking for something to complain about. He said what he had to say to shut them up, whether he means it or not.

Anyways, sarcastic or not, Sweeps said it best.

Xenodog

Xenodog

At first, like the 09 film, I thought this would be 'ok'. Great sci-fi, a good film, but nothing that really cements in my memory.

I read a few, short reviews and became more ambivalent to it, and then came on here for some of the full-length ones by our members. After being baited long enough by such positivity about it, I went to see it this morning.

Holy crap am I glad I did.
This is my favourite iteration of Star Trek - others may disagree: 'older series was better', 'Wrath of Khan rocked!', etc. I won't go into a huge review, others have already done a longer, better job such as Sweeps.
But I also have to agree with something else I read, that is Cumberbatch stole the film from the other actors.

Mother of god he did. In his role, with the excellent writing and acting Cumberbatch redefined what it meant to be a villain. Should we even use that term anymore? Or even 'antagonist'? Because those terms bring to mind a lazy, moustache-twidling black hat. A Disney villain. A bad real-world dictator anology or rip-off. Cumberbatch's character was a character, and just that, a character we could feel sympathy for, root for, enjoy his bone-crunching combat, lose ourselves in his story and cry alongside with him over his plight. He is simply the best 'villain'(?) I think I've ever seen.
Similarly his interactions with other characters really upped the emotional scale of the film fantastically, and brought it into the status of an instant classic of its genre.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Mfw reading all of these wonderful positive reviews from members on here:

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I gotta see this thing again.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: Space Sweeper on May 21, 2013, 01:58:08 PM
Mfw reading all of these wonderful positive reviews from members on here:

http://www.rpgmmag.com/misc/images/herman_cain_smile.gif

It makes up for the IM3 shitstorm.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2013, 08:55:21 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 21, 2013, 06:52:21 AM

Definitely a fantasy of mine.  :P

Especially when played by Rachel Nichols.  8)

Too bad she most likely died in Nero's attack.  :'(

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed