Metal.

Started by CELTICPRED, Dec 29, 2006, 10:38:37 PM

Author
Metal. (Read 70,503 times)

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

Quotei hate the term "real metal"

its too wide a style of music now to just classify stuff as "real metal"

Anyone who talks about "real metal" or "tru-metal" and takes the time to split it into endless amounts of sub-genres gets on my nerves.  I just say f**k it, it's all metal and you either like it or you don't.  I am quite sick and tired of some pretentious prick sneering at me because I thought band X might be classed as speed metal when infact it's considered to be thrash metal.  I also get tired of people deciding that band X is/isn't metal based on comparisons against much older bands.  It's fairly pointless.  Metal evolves just like any other music genre, people need to learn to accept change.  It's probably just a bad stereotype but metal elitists strike me as very sad people who clutch desperately to their elitism as it's one of the few things that allow them feel superior to other people.

9 times out of 10 when someone says "Band X isn't metal!" what they really mean is "I don't like that band".  Unfortunately for these people it's too difficult for them to understand that just because they don't like it doesn't mean it isn't metal.

Currently some metal I have been listening to includes;

In Flames (old and new)
All That Remians (mostly new stuff)
Dimmu Borgir (old and new)
Machine Head (older stuff, havn't got their newest album yet)
Decapitated (older stuff)
Hypocrisy (newer stuff)
Zyklon (old and new)

/end rant.

Corporal Harrison

Corporal Harrison

Metallica and Black Sabbath are hands down my favourite metal
I do like Lamb of God i just hate the singer IMO

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Love Fear Factory, greatest metal band!!!

Iron Hide

Iron Hide

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jan 22, 2008, 09:00:09 PM
Love Fear Factory, greatest metal band!!!

yes fear factory kicks some serious ass!  ;D

KARHAN

KARHAN

Anyone know the Yugoslav metal band:

Divlje Jagode (Wild Strawberries) - Bosnian metal rock band that was (and still is) very popular and successful all over former Yugoslavia. They sold many records and played huge arenas in the 80´s.  In 1987 they released a self-titled album featuring Don Airey (Whitesnake, Deep Purple....) on keyboards.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=niB6Bg-ALDY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-xocVv3or3g&feature=related (newer version of one song with diffrent singer)
2 very badass songs.

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Fear Factory has always been a favorite of mine.

I'm hoping to buy tickets soon to this years Gigantour.

In Flames and Children of Bodom are out before MEGADETH!!!!!!!!

Corporal Harrison

Corporal Harrison

what do i think of metal? well its a mineral, its generally tough people use it a lot.... oh wrong metal (sorry im being a smart ass)
music metal rocks

KidPresentable

KidPresentable

I've always thought metal to be one of the more mediocre genres out there. So much potential to be awesome but all I ever see is same old predicable stuff. That being said these metal bands kick it up a notch in terms of creativity and badassness:

Sepultura
Fear Factory
Fantomas
Faith No More

WarMachine

WarMachine

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Jan 19, 2008, 09:24:22 PM
Quotei hate the term "real metal"

its too wide a style of music now to just classify stuff as "real metal"

Anyone who talks about "real metal" or "tru-metal" and takes the time to split it into endless amounts of sub-genres gets on my nerves.  I just say f**k it, it's all metal and you either like it or you don't.  I am quite sick and tired of some pretentious prick sneering at me because I thought band X might be classed as speed metal when infact it's considered to be thrash metal.  I also get tired of people deciding that band X is/isn't metal based on comparisons against much older bands.  It's fairly pointless.  Metal evolves just like any other music genre, people need to learn to accept change.  It's probably just a bad stereotype but metal elitists strike me as very sad people who clutch desperately to their elitism as it's one of the few things that allow them feel superior to other people.

9 times out of 10 when someone says "Band X isn't metal!" what they really mean is "I don't like that band".  Unfortunately for these people it's too difficult for them to understand that just because they don't like it doesn't mean it isn't metal.

Currently some metal I have been listening to includes;

In Flames (old and new)
All That Remians (mostly new stuff)
Dimmu Borgir (old and new)
Machine Head (older stuff, havn't got their newest album yet)
Decapitated (older stuff)
Hypocrisy (newer stuff)
Zyklon (old and new)

/end rant.

Awesome 8)

Killswitch Engage
All That Remains
In Flames
Bloodsimple
Megadeth
Mudvayne
Mastodon
Metallica
Slipknot
Stone Sour
Children of Bodom
Avenged Sevenfold (eh debatable if they're metal but wtf...)
Ill Nino
Bullet for my Valentine (their new stuff, not the old)
Dethklok
Disturbed
Every Time I Die
Fueled By Fire
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Static-X

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Slipknot.................................................= guitar punching

Not metal.

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

Is Metal.

severen76

severen76

I think stone sour alone proves that slipknot can play their guitars  :)

WarMachine

WarMachine

Yeah but isn't Corey the only guy from Slipknot in Stone Sour? I didn't know there were others.

severen76

severen76

Quote from: Internecivus Raptus on Feb 13, 2008, 09:08:07 PM
Yeah but isn't Corey the only guy from Slipknot in Stone Sour? I didn't know there were others.

No, Jim Root plays guitar for both bands.

CELTICPRED

CELTICPRED

Playing guitar =/= technical guitar work. Technical guitar work is basically the first must when considering whether a band is metal or not.

Breaking Benjamin use guitars, but they aren't metal now are they?

I will give Slipknot this, they are nu-metal, which isn't metal at all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed