Should the new Alien movie be made using jim camerons Avatar 3D technology?

Started by Kimo, Aug 06, 2009, 02:07:36 AM

Author
Should the new Alien movie be made using jim camerons Avatar 3D technology? (Read 12,758 times)

Kimo

Kimo

Heres a quote from Ridley Scott in Total Film magazine june 2009.

"Ridley Scott recently saw some footage (of Avatar) and said It's... amazing, he breathlessly told Total Film" Steven Soderbergh said "The shit is mindblowing." So if camerons Avatar is a big hit, i really hope other Directors start to use camerons updated 3D technology. Just think the Alien world in 3d... i hope Ridley uses this in his new Alien movie.

So what do you guys think? it would also be a good reason for Cameron to have something to do with Alien 5 since most fans want both Ridley and Cameron on board.

Xhan

it should be made with whatever works best for presentation.

Kimo

Quote from: Xhan on Aug 06, 2009, 02:15:42 AM
it should be made with whatever works best for presentation.

I edit my first post since i hit the post button before i finished my message lol.

xenomorph36

this is pretty stupid topic to be honest(not that i dont make one ;D) we havent seen the new movie(avatar) so it's too early to judge.

Kimo

Quote from: xenomorph36 on Aug 06, 2009, 03:22:33 PM
this is pretty stupid topic to be honest(not that i dont make one ;D) we havent seen the new movie(avatar) so it's too early to judge.

Hows it a stupid topic? it's obvious Camerons new inproved 3D cameras, will have some inpact with how films are made by the movie industry in the near future. If Ridley Scott and the likes of Steven Spielberg are blown away with what Cameron has done with this new 3D tech, why is it stupid making a topic asking people if the would like to see Ridley use it for Alien5? And like i said it would be a great way to get Cameron onboard.

I agree that Avatar aint out to judge yet. Avatar could be one big turd when it comes to plot, but i bet my ass that the 3D he uses will blow people away and will change how films are made.

TJ Doc

RumorControl

In a word, no.  3D is a stupid gimmick, and I'll only be seeing Avatar on a regular screen.

Mr. Slugworth

I'm not so sure that 3D is the right way to present a new Alien film... it relies on too many scenes where images need to "pop out" at you. It works in your basic horror movie, but this film needs to be something a little more than that. Then again, I havent seen Avatar so I cant really judge Camerons new technology. This isnt a stupid topic by any means, but it can be discussed more thouroughly once we've all seen Avatar.

And 3D isnt a stupid gimmick. Its a classic format dating back to when your parents were kids. I still like 3D movies, but I'm not so sure that I want a Ridley Scott Alien movie to be done in that format.

SiL

It was a gimmick in the 50s, it was a gimmick in the 80s, and unless people have grown up and decided to stop throwing shit at the audience for a cheap jump - I'm looking at you, Beowulf. Good God - it's still a gimmick.

Kimo

Quote from: Mr. Slugworth on Aug 07, 2009, 09:27:37 PM
I'm not so sure that 3D is the right way to present a new Alien film... it relies on too many scenes where images need to "pop out" at you. It works in your basic horror movie, but this film needs to be something a little more than that. Then again, I havent seen Avatar so I cant really judge Camerons new technology. This isnt a stupid topic by any means, but it can be discussed more thouroughly once we've all seen Avatar.

And 3D isnt a stupid gimmick. Its a classic format dating back to when your parents were kids. I still like 3D movies, but I'm not so sure that I want a Ridley Scott Alien movie to be done in that format.

Yes your right i should of made this topic after Avatar has been released. Im sure Cameron 3D tricks wont be your typical run of the mill 2 seconds scare, like in them 3d teeny slasher movies. If Ridley did use it in any of his future films im sure he will only use it if its mind blowing.

Mr. Slugworth

Quote from: SiL on Aug 08, 2009, 01:10:38 AM
It was a gimmick in the 50s, it was a gimmick in the 80s, and unless people have grown up and decided to stop throwing shit at the audience for a cheap jump - I'm looking at you, Beowulf. Good God - it's still a gimmick.

Say what you want,  but people like 3D movies because of the visual effect.  Stupid gimmicks don't usually last 50+ years... this is a gimmick that people have grown to love and is still valid due to progressive technology. So you don't like 3D movies... sorry to hear that.

SiL

Quote from: Mr. Slugworth on Aug 09, 2009, 12:06:47 AM
Stupid gimmicks don't usually last 50+ years...
Exactly. Which 3D pretty much hasn't.

It died off from practice in the 50s, it died off in the 80s, and until it rocked up again this decade it was reserved for 4D theme rides and tacky, tacky productions.

When something needs to get reinvented a number of times before people start taking it seriously, yeah, I'd say it's a gimmick, or near enough.

I don't mind 3D, but I don't mind it in the same way I don't mind cheesy bad movies.

Mr. Slugworth

If 3D visual entertainment started over 50 years ago and is still being reinvented today, than I say it has lasted, regardless of the ups and downs.  I never said that 3D wasnt a gimmick... I said it wasn't a stupid one... the reinvention of it over that last few decades has proved that. 

And for those of you that need a definition of a "stupid gimmick":  anything that makes the consumer spend money only to get nothing in return is in my opinion a stupid gimmick... But a gimmick for entertainment value is usually rewarded. Unless the movie is horrible or the band sucks. ;)

SiL

Quote from: Mr. Slugworth on Aug 09, 2009, 01:33:11 AM
I said it wasn't a stupid one
And I never said it was a stupid gimmick, so where's the beef?

Ratchetcomand

I can't say for sure since Avatar is not out yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed