Godzilla
101 (75.4%)
King Kong
25 (18.7%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,516,924 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Apr 08, 2021, 02:16:01 AM
Yeah, I know. The Transformers films are some of the most hated films of all time...doesn't make Godzilla vs Kong objectively better.
Getting better reviews doesn't mean it's objectively better. It means people like it more. That's it. You've never seen an unapologetically awful film you loved all the same?

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

I thought the mass appeal of big monke punch big lizard is far stronger than trucks that can transform into robots. Godzilla and King Kong has a long cinematic historic influence in film history than Transformers did so people would look at the film more favorably? I'm also saying this as someone who isn't into Transformers cuz again, big lizard and big monke is more appealing to me than transforming trucks.

Huggs

Huggs

That and we haven't seen Godzilla vs Kong in like 60 years. We've had plenty of transformers movies lately.

Stitch

Stitch

GvK I enjoyed, but felt slightly disappointed at the end. Age of Extinction I turned off.

reecebomb

reecebomb

How does GvK fare against Pacific Rim? The latter I enjoyed a lot but have almost no desire to see GvK, even though the visual presentation seems very similar.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The first Transformers was enjoyable because the good stuff far outweighed the bad. Unfortunately that balance shifted in the sequels (to varying degrees) to the point when I don't enjoy them at all.

Having only seen the first two monsterverse movies I can't comment on GvK, but with Godzilla I thought it was a similar case of too much bad for too little good, except replace bad with simply dull. Skull Island was a lot of fun though.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on Apr 08, 2021, 01:42:14 AM
I'm just struggling to understand why Godzilla Vs Kong, an objectively bad film is getting such praise after 10 years of everyone ripping on the Transformers movies for pretty much being the same thing, did everyone just decide overnight it was ok to lower the bar?

Well...

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 08, 2021, 12:29:49 AM
It's the first truly big movie, that feels like a movie since the pandemic started. It symbolizes a return to normalcy and that has people amped up. And that's not counting the fans who have waited an extra year just to see it. Like the movie, we've all just faced a giant adversary and have overcome. It's a big deal to all kinds of people right now, and on many levels.

As time goes by, and things keep returning to normal, those tomatoes may go slightly more rotten. Right now, its barely been in theaters for a few weeks and it's riding one heck of an unusual wave. It's not going to be unfairly regarded as some great masterpiece once all is said and done. But it will be remembered as part of the pandemic saga, and likely in a positive manner.

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 08, 2021, 03:33:25 AM
That and we haven't seen Godzilla vs Kong in like 60 years.

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Apr 08, 2021, 03:24:47 AM
Godzilla and King Kong has a long cinematic historic influence in film history than Transformers did so people would look at the film more favorably?

All fair and clear points that should help you understand, no ?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: reecebomb on Apr 08, 2021, 08:00:17 AM
How does GvK fare against Pacific Rim? The latter I enjoyed a lot but have almost no desire to see GvK, even though the visual presentation seems very similar.

As someone that really enjoys all four MonsterVerse movies, I find Pacific Rim to be better than all of them, and find Pacific Rim: Uprising to fall underneath all of them.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 08, 2021, 11:13:21 AM
Pacific Rim: Uprising

Pacific Rim: What ?

Nightmare Asylum

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

More like Pacific Rim: WHY?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Weird hill to die on to most people, but if you have a particular distain for big monsters fighting, I can understand why.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 08, 2021, 08:12:52 AM
The first Transformers was enjoyable because the good stuff far outweighed the bad. Unfortunately that balance shifted in the sequels (to varying degrees) to the point when I don't enjoy them at all.

Having only seen the first two monsterverse movies I can't comment on GvK, but with Godzilla I thought it was a similar case of too much bad for too little good, except replace bad with simply dull. Skull Island was a lot of fun though.

The rest of them are much more like Skull Island.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Trash Queen on Apr 08, 2021, 09:10:36 PM
Weird hill to die on to most people, but if you have a particular distain for big monsters fighting, I can understand why.
Saying people should dislike the movie because people disliked another movie with a similar plot is a dumb hill to die on no matter how you look at it.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

It is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed