Godzilla
101 (75.4%)
King Kong
25 (18.7%)
I don't know?
8 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 133

Author
The GODZILLA thread (Read 2,516,932 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 26, 2019, 01:16:35 AM
He'll probably be too busy directing the 40k series anyway.

Not even remotely funny.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Well Avengers was aces.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 26, 2019, 01:38:31 AM
Well Avengers was aces.

He's a quippy jokester which is fine for superhero stuff but would nuke the 40k thing deader than dead. And i reckon it's the wrong tone for gadziller too.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

^ That would be Arthur Adams' excellent piece for the Criterion Godzilla set.

Speaking of which, I finally got the see the Japanese version thanks to that set. Here're my rambling thoughts...
Spoiler
It's a shame it's shoved aside on the bonus disc, in the middle of all the other extras, it's not treated as a main feature at all. The visual quality is also noticeably inconsistent, some scenes look decent, others are really rough. At least the subtitles are as good as they could possibly be, I guess.

Grew up with the US release so it was definitely a little jarring, in a good way I mean. I couldn't help but feel it had a more small scale, domestic feel to it. The humor is a lot more evident, of course. It was interesting to see how things were originally meant to link up, and elements people normally poke holes at in the US cut were made a lot clearer. There's a simple logic to the film that is very endearing, more so than other Honda/Tsuburaya films, it's definitely aware of what it's supposed to be - a charming, celebratory goodtime.

I know Honda had misgivings about Godzilla's behavior, he's perhaps a bit too jovial and 'human' at times, but still a big, mean, destructive bully. And then we have Toho Kong, the lovable drunk ogre he is.

There's some stuff that still bothers me, some just from the time period (handing out cigarettes to the natives, using a real octopus [and to add insult to injury, eating him afterwards]), but something that really struck me was the lack of a real strong female character you normally see in these films, usually as the film's moral compass. There's no Emiko, Junko/Naoko, or Miss Namikawa. Even Raids Again had the two radio girls. You're just kinda stuck with the bumbling male characters. Maybe that's a silly nitpick but it jumped out to me compared to the others.

Overall I think the formula improved over the next few films, but it's so nice to see the original version and what the core creative team behind the classic Godzilla mythos had intended.
[close]

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: Nyarlathotep on Nov 24, 2019, 09:11:11 AM
I am so very tempted to buy the Cirterion set.

The Barnes & Noble Criterion sale ends Dec 1, so jump on it while you can!

razeak

razeak

I just caught the US version 2 weeks ago. Wow. What a trip.
Spoiler
I would probably be the guy handing out cigarettes and diet soda to natives haha. The blackface was insane. It was also laughably bad.  What a different world.
[close]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 25, 2019, 11:20:27 PM
Don't fret. I hear they will be using the extra time to add more tree throating.

https://madcastmedia.com/shows/gvpz/3/gvpz_kingkong1.gif

American imperialism symbolism? Lol.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: ace3g on Dec 08, 2019, 08:16:12 PM
https://twitter.com/PacificRimMovie/status/1203767152307777537

Is that even real?  Meaning wouldn't the aircraft carrier crack in half? Or sink? Or capsize with BOTH Godzilla and King Kong standing on top it?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Isn't Godzilla too big to stand on an aircraft carrier?  Or are they going to shrink him down to Kong's size for the fight?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 08, 2019, 11:45:40 PM
Isn't Godzilla too big to stand on an aircraft carrier?  Or are they going to shrink him down to Kong's size for the fight?

Perhaps being in the water too long can cause shrinkage...

;D

Shasvre

Shasvre

Could just be a super sized carrier, just like Monarch had that giant plane in the last film. Perhaps their new HQ?

Huggs

Huggs

I imagine after the events of KOTM that Monarch pretty much has a blank check.

Besides, supercarriers shouldn't be a problem considering they already had planes that you could land other planes in.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 09, 2019, 05:45:50 PM
I imagine after the events of KOTM that Monarch pretty much has a blank check.

Besides, supercarriers shouldn't be a problem considering they already had planes that you could land other planes in.

Planes that can land on planes that can land on planes that can land on . . . planes.

Huggs

Huggs

That's classified.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed