Yautja vs Hish?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 19, 2006, 05:29:28 PM

Which conception of the Predators do you prefer more? Yautja or Hish?

Yautja
Hish
Author
Yautja vs Hish? (Read 73,855 times)

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

while the other wants to glass us, still they're a little similar at least with the Elites(mandibles, plasma weapons, 7ft tall, etc.). so according to the interview i guess we can say the yautja are part of canon ?  ;D

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Nope. That's why I've got no problem with having the Hish. Sure, they contradict Perry's Yautja, but the idea's been around so long that some people consider it cannon when it isn't. New novels, new ideas and new Predator culture. s

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

I know next to nill about any of the comics (becuase to me, IMHO they suck) except what I've heard through forums, and I like the sounds of the Hish much more than the Yautja. If theres more you could say about them, Id be interested in hearing.

Like, the Hish hunt for the pure sport of it, and the Yautja do becuase...of honor? I've always felt the preds have a sense of honor cause you know how they act in 1 and 2, but i guess it makes just as much sense that they disarmed themselfs against the unarmed because it was more challanging that way, and thus more fun.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I never saw the honor stuff in their acts until I heard about the Yautja. All the movies show is that they love a challenge.

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2007, 03:53:09 PM
I never saw the honor stuff in their acts until I heard about the Yautja. All the movies show is that they love a challenge.

I disagree. P2 - won't kill a women who is pregnant. AvP - Won't kill a guy with disease.

If they wanted just a challenge, they'd slaughter everything in sight.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

What's the point in fighting a man who can barely walk? Where's the challenge in that? And I'm asking an honest question here, since I don't know, but do Hunters kill pregnant deers?

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 27, 2007, 10:56:44 AM
Nope. That's why I've got no problem with having the Hish. Sure, they contradict Perry's Yautja, but the idea's been around so long that some people consider it cannon when it isn't. New novels, new ideas and new Predator culture. s

exactly why is it not canon ?  and does that make the original AVP comic not canon then, even though they're rereleasing it ? the Yautja follow the movie Pred's rules of the hunt , while all we see the Hish as a warring slaver race, honestly I could care less if the Hish are around or not(), but with Shirley including the Yautja if he ever did another book makes me happy.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

also I wouldn't think a Hish would care to kill a child or a pregnant woman, they almost did in FM.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Novels and comics aren't counted as cannon. Someone did a ladder of cannon stating which sources were more reliable and etc but I can't remember it.

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

You see the Preds removing their weapons and masks to an unarmed opponent, which could be viewd as honorable and/or for the sake of the hunt, so its fairly eas to see both. However, I think Im gonna go with the Hish and say that its for the hunt, because how honorable is it to sit in the trees, with a cloaking device, infared tracking and targeting systems, and a plasma canon and shoot people who dont even know your there.

There could be some sense or honor, but im going with the thrill of the hunt. However in P2 it is clear they have some sense of honor and respect when the elder lets Harrigan go, even give him a gift.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I guess trying to make comparisons between Human hunters and our prey is harder because we can't respect our prey. I still think Dark Horse took the honor thing too far with the Yautja and if it wasn't for how long we went without new media, I doubt it would be as rooted in the fanbase as it is.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

I have to think at least the orignal comic had to be canon at least, since the movie follow it to a degree, as well as the movies.

Then again that's the deal with Preds, they're the hunters they will hunt usually with a advantage.

but I doubt the Pred and Alien series have gone through an entire reboot.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Nope, movies are cannon, scripts of the movies, crew comments and novelizations are below that. Nothing from the original novels and comics is cannon.

BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk

you wouldn't have the list would you of what's canon etc?

also if Yautja aren't canon, then suppose why do you think Shirley might include them in his next book ?

sorry to bug you on the same subject, its that until they announce the Alien and Predator franchises are going through major reboots I'll accept the orignal comic as canon.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I doubt he will be including the Yautja because essentially, the DH Press novels are totally ignoring the AvP novels. Mr Shirley hasn't actually read the other novels and I don't think he knows what's really going on.

The Hish have pretty much replaced the Yautja for these new novels. That's all there is to it really.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed