No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 917,337 times)

Quote from: First Blood on Aug 15, 2012, 05:32:53 PM
Quote from: Blacklabel on Aug 15, 2012, 04:49:50 PM
I've begun reading Birthright.. wow. :o

It's good, right? How far have you gotten? ;D

Just finished Superman: Last Son and thought it was great.  A Kryptonian child crash lands on Earth and he comes under the protection of Superman, who in turn adopts him. General Zod comes to Earth to try and get the boy. I won't reveal the significance behind why Zod wants him but it's pretty interesting. I really loved the art in this. Andy's pencils were pretty damn good. And the moments when Superman would confide with the hologram of his father at the Fortress of Solitude were moments I really enjoyed. Also when Superman was trapped in the Phantom Zone. The Phantom Zone is something I've never read seen much of, so this was a great eye-opening look at what it's like to be trapped there. Lex Luthor is great as always. The guy literally steals panels and pages because he's so incredibly written.

And I also just read Rorschach #1 which I really enjoyed. The plot was pretty straight forward. Rorschach is trying to track down smack, and the dealer who peddles it. That leads him to the sewers under New York. And that's about as simple as it gets really. But Lee Bermejo's pencils fit the character perfectly. They set the mood perfectly. Even in the opening pages, I loved that seedy look that the streets of New York had to them. My new favorite Before Watchmen book next to Ozymandias and Night Owl at the moment.
My new favorite Before Watchmen book next to Ozymandias and Night Owl at the moment.
Night Owl at the moment.
Night Owl
Night

First Blood

First Blood

What's the problem?

Shasvre

Shasvre

Night Owl instead of Nite Owl. ;)

First Blood

First Blood

Urgh. Sorry 'bout that... :D

lol, I was only joshing you.
Nite Owl comes from the DC superhero Doctor Mid-Nite, who wears special goggles and has a pet/sidekick owl http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Mid-Nite

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Question for the Mignola guys here: my memory is a bit rusty on the matter, but did Sammael appear in any of the HellBoy comics?

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Aug 16, 2012, 08:00:48 PM
Question for the Mignola guys here: my memory is a bit rusty on the matter, but did Sammael appear in any of the HellBoy comics?

He didn't. He basically fills in the movie the role the Frogs (kind of human/giant frog hybrid) in the comics.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

So I just finished up all of Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings Book 2 (volume 3, issues 13-19) and wow, that was absolutely amazing. I especially loved the
Spoiler
time travel elements, and seeing the new and old Guardians interacting together was an absolute blast! The revelation behind Groot's catchphrase was a ton of fun, the inclusion of the Inhumans made for some genuinely awesome moments, and the whole War of the Worlds scenario was a lot of fun.

And then, there's all of the stuff that went down at the ending. So many characters were brutally murdered by Magus, and I was genuinely shocked by all of them. And something is telling me that a lot of these death (if not all) are going to be permanent.
[close]

The ending was absolutely amazing, and I can't wait to get started on volume four, Guardians of the Galaxy: Realm of Kings!

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Magegg on Aug 16, 2012, 09:17:16 PM
He didn't. He basically fills in the movie the role the Frogs (kind of human/giant frog hybrid) in the comics.
Ah, so those were the guys I remember. Thanks!

Shasvre

Shasvre

Have anyone checked out Marvel's Season One novels? They're supposed to be updated origin stories for some of the characters. I just read Hulk and X-Men myself and they were both pretty good.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Season one is just dumb as shit. Why can't they just re-release the first issues that each character appeared in? I just don't like these season one comics, it makes no sense to me and just completely feels to me like it shits on the people that worked on the first issue for each of these characters years back.

Shasvre

Shasvre

It's really not the same thing. Those issues were usually really short and didn't tell much of a complete story. And they do feel pretty dated, to be honest. They have their own kind of charm, but I really don't see what's wrong with updating it a bit. If anyone want to check out those original issues, they're out there as well.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Yeah, they're out there which makes these season one issues look pointless other than being some sort of pseudo reboot. The idea of this just doesn't fly well for me.

Shasvre

Shasvre

One the readers in general don't seem to mind. And new readers are less likely to pick up a comic book from the 60's, so it's good business. And how many times haven't the character origins been updated over the years anyway? It's not out of disrespect for the original writers.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Laufey on Aug 17, 2012, 06:28:46 PM
One the readers in general don't seem to mind. And new readers are less likely to pick up a comic book from the 60's, so it's good business.

Re-releasing the old issues pretty much does the same exact thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed