Alien Anthology Discussion

Started by AVP66, Feb 19, 2009, 04:11:42 PM

Author
Alien Anthology Discussion (Read 362,944 times)

RumorControl

RumorControl

The moment I heard that Cameron re-did the color grading of Aliens, I knew that meant he simply increased the blue/green levels and contrast to make it look like a music video.  I'm sorry but I think the Blu Ray captures look like shit; Aliens was not meant to look like an oversaturated SyFy original movie.  The grainy, washed-out, steely tone of the original is what gave it its unique look and feel.  Ridley Scott similarly ruined both Alien and Blade Runner by turning the films green, especially the 2007 cut of Blade Runner, which I think is unwatchable.  Looks like I'll be sticking with my 1999 DVD version of Alien and the Quad version of Aliens...   

Nope

Nope

They all look great! But the main reason im buying is all the special features.

Keyes

Keyes

Quote from: PHANTOM on Sep 09, 2010, 07:46:13 PM
Brace yourself for the Predators Blu-ray release because the same guy who edited AVP-R and his editing team will be back. I'm gonna be positive and believe that Antal and Robert would never allow something like that to happen but....

when people get their paychecks they tend to careless what the final product will be.

Why would the editor have anything to do with the final colour/contrast of the film? Just because one person who was involved with AVPR worked on Predators mean that everyone else has gone to hell!

Firestorm

Firestorm

I think they look great, the perception some have had of the new shots appearing darker is accurate, however the actual encode and master of this new Bluray will alow deeper black levels and increased shadow detail so although it appears darker (blacker), there will be much more detail in darker scenes.  Dvd tends to have a greyish, crushed looking depiction of black areas, where-as on Blu Ray the extra headroom with having higher bit-rate and pixel count alows the low light scenes to really breathe.

Also, the suggestion that the Aliens re-master is simply an RGB level adjustment is plain wrong, although if you simply don't like what you see i guess you dont have to buy the set.

As for how Aliens is meant to look, i think Cameron knows that more than anyone.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Sep 09, 2010, 04:30:57 PM
Dvd looks dry.
Blu-Ray looks humid.
Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!

The Aliens comparisons are perfect, though. I can't wait to see them in motion--if the Pred Blu-Ray was any indication it's going to look a great deal more impressive after you press play.

Joe117

Joe117

Where can I preorder the egg edition of this?

SM

SM

Hey!  My lunch money!

BANE

BANE

My fifth and last prayer sess-AAAUUUGHHHH!!

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Hey! The franchise!

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Brad Dorif. Great talent. Unfortunatly he often uses it to end up in bad movies.
Just noticed that big hole in the Queen.
Damn it all.
That's like the bar scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where Indy's gun changes from a revolver to a 45 between shots.

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

I'm not sure I want Aliens to look like it was made yesterday. The still of Ripley flaming the eggs looks like it's from an elaborate video game.

SM

SM

Quote from: Sharp Sticks on Sep 09, 2010, 10:55:46 PM

Hey! The franchise!

"We're not recovering from Alien3 after all - though I think I can just make out it's reception down there."

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2010, 11:04:11 PM

Hey! The franchise!

"We're not recovering from Alien3 after all - though I think I can just make out it's reception down there."
Curse your differing opinion!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Anyone seen if they're cleaning up the TEs as well as the SEs?

BANE

BANE

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2010, 11:04:11 PM

Hey! The franchise!

Touche.
Your floor, Mr. Sharp sticks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed