End Of The World Thread.....

Started by scarface, Jan 09, 2009, 05:24:14 AM

Author
End Of The World Thread..... (Read 158,827 times)

maledoro

maledoro

It's...it's...1996 again!!! Yes! I can see the power of belief! I'm going to warn the FBI about those nasty men who will bomb the parking garage of the Twin Towers!

Ghostface

Ghostface

Pffft Ima buy me a lottery ticket

maledoro

maledoro

I'd wish you good luck, but then, you won't need it!
;)

Ghostface

Ghostface

I'll split it with you. But first you have to believe me when I say you can fly.  ;D

KirklandSignature

Maybe believing in god makes him exist? After all when logic and reason fail, you have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you lol..I love South Park.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: KirklandSignature on May 25, 2011, 03:25:13 PM
Maybe believing in god makes him exist?
If it did, I wouldn't have doubted his existence.

Quote from: KirklandSignature on May 25, 2011, 03:25:13 PMAfter all when logic and reason fail, you have to be a dick to everyone who doesn't think like you lol
No, you don't. Sure, there are some people who don't believe that there are any gods who may go about it in a nasty way, but most atheists do no more than poke a little fun at the Believers; no more than the Believers do themselves.

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

Quote from: Ghostface on May 25, 2011, 12:09:10 PM
Quote from: maledoro on May 25, 2011, 11:20:57 AM
Quote from: TheMonolith on May 25, 2011, 03:02:21 AM
He doesn't believe in concept of God. He DOES however believe in the afterlife.

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 25, 2011, 03:04:24 AM
Afterlife, I can accept. Don't why, I just do. But God seems a bit out there.
Which begs the question, when there is equal evidence for both, why believe in one but not the other?

Faith
Or people still being self aware despite being, by all practical definitions, stone cold dead.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: TheMonolith on May 25, 2011, 09:29:16 PM
Or people still being self aware despite being, by all practical definitions, stone cold dead.
More like they assumed that was what had happened or they (and/or their doctors) were being deceitful. Sadly, the Afterlife fails under proper testing.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Lets see what Stephen Hawking says

http://www.news.com.au/technology/there-is-no-heaven-but-im-not-afraid-to-die-says-scientist-stephen-hawking/story-e6frfro0-1226057428507

I especially love some of the comments:

Quoteoops-- I guess he's going to the other place then LOL! - where computers get refurbished and sent to a 3rd world country to send emails from Nigerian Princes.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: maledoro on May 25, 2011, 11:20:57 AM
Quote from: TheMonolith on May 25, 2011, 03:02:21 AM
He doesn't believe in concept of God. He DOES however believe in the afterlife.

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 25, 2011, 03:04:24 AM
Afterlife, I can accept. Don't why, I just do. But God seems a bit out there.
Which begs the question, when there is equal evidence for both, why believe in one but not the other?

That boils down to simple convenience I think. Based on what is known of God, I'd rather go into an afterlife and have fun rather than face judgement.

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 26, 2011, 12:30:46 AMThat boils down to simple convenience I think. Based on what is known of God, I'd rather go into an afterlife and have fun rather than face judgement.
Not saying that God exists, but if he did, you'd be facing judgement one way or another. And, depending on which way the scales dip, you could either get rewarded with fun or with misery. Of course, there are a few sticking points one might keep in mind.

First, the Bible says in many parts that if you displease God you'll be tormented in Hell for all eternity. Another part of that same Bible also says that since Jesus had died for your sins, you've been pardoned. Secondly, as many times as the Bible has been translated into many languages and edited(!), one cannot be too sure to know what God is really all about and what pleases him and what pisses him off. After all, the Abrahamic god is worshiped differently by the Jews, Christians, and the Muslims. And, to add more to the confusion, there are various sects within each of those religions that do things differently from each other. One (or more) of these groups is (are) bound to f**k up and get roasted. (Or will they be forgiven as that one part of the Bible says? Too bad that part isn't in the Pentateuch or Koran. But then, Moses and Muhammad were given instructions on how to behave to avoid eternal punishment; albeit in different books.)

One could dismiss all this and say that that if they live decent and moral lives, they'll make it into Paradise. But, disregarding the Word of God is a big no-no. There are sections of the Bible that tell about people who lived moral and decent lives but did not accept Jesus and Bad Things had happened to them. So, just doing your own thing and worshiping God in your own way is not good, either.

To add even more to the confusion, there isn't any more evidence pointing to Yahweh (or Allah) as there are to other Gods. Sure, Yahweh said that we should have no other gods before him, for he is a jealous god [his words!], but that doesn't mean that other gods do not exist. There is mention of a Divine Council in the Bible, over which Yahweh presides. (Be careful not to worship Asherah. Yahweh would have even more reason to be jealous as she was once his wife!) Even though there are hints of this still in the Bible, they are just holdovers from the days when Judaism was polytheistic. And then, we have other pantheons to consider. Who knows? Maybe it's been Zeus all along who's been zapping Yahweh's churches with lightning?

Even if the heavens weren't that crowded, and there is only one god up there, most of what's been credited to him has been explained by science and reason. Not everything, mind you, but a lot of it. Science doesn't pretend to know all the answers (like some religions do), but it doesn't take something abstract that can't be verified in some way and plug the holes with it. Sure, some like to ask, "What if it's God?". Great. I would like very much to see if a god was responsible for that. Not something inconclusive that could be attributed to anything, but something that actually points to a being that has the attributes that matches the definition of what God is. The hard part is, as much as people think they know about God, they really don't know that much after all. "God works is mysterious ways!" is just someone's way of saying, "I don't know how/why/when/where/what, but I just know it's God!" If they don't know how he works, what he looks like, sounds like, smells like, tastes like, feels like; they can't know for sure it's God.

I believe that I have only one life to live, and that it is very special, and that I am going to enjoy it as much as I can for as long as I can. I am going to live it as if I am not getting a second chance here or someplace else and not worry about someplace that might exist and that I might be invited to if I follow the rules whatever they may be...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Not sure how to respond to that piece other than it's very well-written, well-thought out, and sums up why I have a problem with religion.

When people say they believe something, that's their way of saying "I don't know". They want to convince themselves of something so they just keep saying "I believe, I believe" when in reality, like you said, they just don't have a f**king clue. Science helps, but at the same time, science is merely a tool for explaining what was already there. Science has yet to discover something that's actually new. At this point it only serves to explain phenomenon we couldn't describe before as you mentioned.

I find the description of Hell most amusing. Even the Bible doesn't explicitly say Hell is a place where there's a guy in a red suit with a pitchfork, laughing at everyone who's burning in a sea of sulfur and brimstone. That image only came about due to Dante's Inferno, which was then painted by a Dutch artist named Bosch. It's a classic tale of artists and writers running with a vague description. Even the devil isn't described in the Bible as I mentioned him. It's the same situation with artists being creative. I've always believed that Hell could be anything. It could be that fiery inferno or it could even be one's own personal hell; like you're forced to relieve every moment you've ever regretted or something.

I just live and love. Life is simpler that way. Like you, I'd rather not worry about a whole lot of "what ifs?"

SM

SM

QuoteWhen people say they believe something, that's their way of saying "I don't know". They want to convince themselves of something so they just keep saying "I believe, I believe" when in reality, like you said, they just don't have a f**king clue.

If one had a real solid actual clue as to the existence of God, then it'd be a fact and it wouldn't matter if one believed or not.

Ghostface

Ghostface

I dont have any problem with any religion that spreads the message of peace and how to live as a moral human being, and leads by example, even if its 110% bollocks. If it makes people happy, gives them hope and generally makes them and their lives better, its a great things.

What I do have a problem is with religions that state "our way is the only way and if you dont follow us you will burn in hell forever!" I dont appreciate getting blackmailed by anyone, especially a devine being thats very existance is questionable.

The other problem I have is where it became very profitable to be a religion, and grand buildings were built while the people of the land starved. I thought we were all born equally?

SM

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed