AVP3 Ideas

Started by Originalsin, Jun 06, 2007, 08:25:09 PM

Author
AVP3 Ideas (Read 363,467 times)

SM

SM

And since the whole thing is based on The Most Dangerous Game, with rich hunter replaced by crab faced Rastafarian hunter from outer space...

The key word is 'hunter'.

It might not be sadism by Predator standards, but by human standards - it's pretty close.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: keylight-di on Mar 08, 2010, 10:22:48 PM
If so, Xenos are sadistic too. Much more sadistic. Could you stop antropomorphization, talking about aliens? :-\
Except they don't fit into the definition in the least. Aliens don't show the capacity for sadism; Predators do.

Predators were closely modeled after humans. Aliens weren't. It's entirely fair to interpret Predator actions through human means.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Aeus, SM, SiL...

Hopeless.

Calling some species sadistic, just because you don't like them.
This is racism. ;)

I expected more from you... :-\

EDIT: Aliens don't show the capacity for sadism? In human standards they play them prey, they smell their fear, looking for more... in human standards. ;)

Aeus

Aeus

I love Predators!

And wouldn't it be speciesism? Or did I just make that word up?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: keylight-di on Mar 09, 2010, 04:20:50 AM
Calling some species sadistic, just because you don't like them.
This is racism. ;)
No, no it isn't. :-\

SM

SM

QuoteI expected more from you...

Why?

I expected more than the usual blinkered litany of "Don't anthropomorphise Predators" but what are you gunna do?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Aeus on Mar 09, 2010, 04:23:29 AM
And wouldn't it be speciesism? Or did I just make that word up?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speciesism ;)

Reaper Pred

Reaper Pred

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: SM on Mar 09, 2010, 04:25:39 AM
QuoteI expected more from you...

Why?

I expected more than the usual blinkered litany of "Don't anthropomorphise Predators" but what are you gunna do?

Because this is essential...
I tried to explain, but it's hopeless, when someone only repeats, that I tell people their interpretation is wrong, that I  act like my interpretation  objectively "right". I never claim, that I know better, but I try to understand.... If someone try to attack my arguments only because it's my arguments... No, not this way.  I try to have open mind, I try to explain many things in many ways... If you (all of you) can't understand it, it's OK. But if someone don't try to understand, explanations are hopeless. :-\

SiL

SiL

We understand where you're coming from.

We just disagree, the same way you disagree with us.

You don't think we should apply human standards to Predators. We think we should.

SM

SM

So ner.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: SiL on Mar 09, 2010, 05:12:47 AM
We understand where you're coming from.

We just disagree, the same way you disagree with us.

You don't think we should apply human standards to Predators. We think we should.

Thinking in this way, you give one species a right to a fair assessment, but refuse the same to another species.
Even on Earth there is cultural diversity. You can't use the same, rigid standards to every community and every culture. This is what I call "a trap". Intellectual trap. This is an extreme anthropomorphism, self-centeredness. Thinking "my standards are only appropriate". If so, the existence of anthropology, sociology and related disciplines doesn't make sense. Why we should study other cultures, if there are one, the only rigid standards? ;)
The Aztecs and the ancient Greeks were deviants, because they don't fit those standards?
But following this reasoning, we still can't call Preds sadistic. Because sadism it's deviation . If this behavior is dominant in them, this is not the deviation, but standard, huh?
And it's not true that the Xenos we could consider in humans category, and the Preds we can't. The whole idea of Xenos was a reflection of our, human fears and obsessions. Their existence, their behavior and their essence is more human than you think, Sil. Because they come from us. From the interior of human folly. And in this sense they are just human like you and me. ;)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: keylight-di on Mar 09, 2010, 07:32:17 AM
Thinking in this way, you give one species a right to a fair assessment, but refuse the same to another species.
Not at all. They're given the assessment they invite in the movies.

The Aliens don't invite a comparison to humans. Social insects, maybe, but there's more than enough material in the movie to show they clearly aren't bound by anything resembling human thought processes.

Predators, on the other hand, do invite such a comparison.

QuoteYou can't use the same, rigid standards to every community and every culture.
Which is why we're not doing that to the Predators. We're looking at one species that clearly displays traits of various human behaviours and compiling an image of them based off of that.

QuoteThis is an extreme anthropomorphism, self-centeredness.
Except totally not, because it's invited by the source material.

QuoteWhy we should study other cultures, if there are one, the only rigid standards? ;)
We shouldn't, were that the case.

But it clearly isn't.

We aren't keying Predators to one rigid human structure, we're creating a new structure for them out of various human elements - Elements that they were transparently based on in the first place.

QuoteBecause sadism it's deviation .
Not by definition, no - It's only a deviation if it isn't the norm. Sadism can be the norm, and still be sadism.

QuoteThe whole idea of Xenos was a reflection of our, human fears and obsessions.
But because of that they aren't human by any means. They're a perversion of people, maybe - Which means we could only seek to understand them by essentially going by the opposite of us.

QuoteBecause they come from us.
And anything else large enough to fit a tube down.

QuoteAnd in this sense they are just human like you and me. ;)
Not really, no.

The Demon

The Demon

Quote from: SM on Mar 09, 2010, 04:11:49 AM
And since the whole thing is based on The Most Dangerous Game, with rich hunter replaced by crab faced Rastafarian hunter from outer space...

The key word is 'hunter'.

It might not be sadism by Predator standards, but by human standards - it's pretty close.

Is he from Rastafari or outer space?

SM

SM

He be both, Babylon.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed