AVP3 Ideas

Started by Originalsin, Jun 06, 2007, 08:25:09 PM

Author
AVP3 Ideas (Read 364,703 times)

BlackMatter169

BlackMatter169

Quote from: SiL on Dec 01, 2012, 10:17:25 PM
Sure -- but you don't need to make entirely separate films for your protagonists before bringing them together. That's not what made The Avengers work. You can watch The Avengers without having seen any of the previous films and still understand what's going on, still know who's who, etc. Helps to see the others, but not vital, because it's a well-written film. That's what AvP needs. Someone who understands how to put together a good story, not someone stringing together action set-pieces.

You're absolutely right. No one really needs to watch the other movies to get The Avengers. Mainly, the reason I suggest doing setup movies is to simply add more depth and inter-connectivity between the two film franchises that aren't just winks to past films or shoehorned homages and perhaps build upon the universe these two creatures exist in. If there was one thing I enjoyed about the setup to the Avengers was all the signs of just how connected everything was. It really fleshed out the Marvel Cinematic Universe really well.

SM

SM

QuoteThat's the main reason why the last AVP films failed so badly.

No the main reason the first film failed was what Sil alluded to - people want to see Aliens and Predators fight.  The first film had about 6 or 7 minutes of that in total.

Similarly in the second flick, again people wanted to see them fight - but we mostly couldn't.

SiL

SiL

And what we could see was pretty lame.

There's no reason we can't have kick-ass crossover action scenes and a well-told story with an engaging plot outside of no-one talented enough -- or at the least, interested enough -- being hired. It's always within the realm of possibility; it just requires desire and effort, two things hitherto sorely lacking.

Marlowe

Marlowe

AVP films could be better.

We do not need a fight between them ; as SM had said.

We need new situations.Others enviroments...new planets .. a new starship invasion .. something like that.

I don't know if I'm traveling about this idea ... but I'm almost sure that there are situations and places that will make a difference .
We have to forget a little ..the planet Earth. And do something near what star trek did in their films.
To do something next to the film series...but with aliens and predators making part. And if it was possible; to divide the story into two parts. Creating a thriller about which one would be the first to appear in the context of the plot.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SiL on Dec 02, 2012, 11:33:47 AM
And what we could see was pretty lame.

There's no reason we can't have kick-ass crossover action scenes and a well-told story with an engaging plot outside of no-one talented enough -- or at the least, interested enough -- being hired. It's always within the realm of possibility; it just requires desire and effort, two things hitherto sorely lacking.

In your estimation, what do you think prevents those qualities from coming together for an AvP film? SM I'd like your input on this as well.

SM

SM

QuoteWe do not need a fight between them ; as SM had said.

So what are they going to do?  Play Yahtzee?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

No, billiards. See:

Marlowe

Marlowe

Quote from: SM on Dec 03, 2012, 04:43:24 AM
QuoteWe do not need a fight between them ; as SM had said.

So what are they going to do?  Play Yahtzee?

Well ..
if the intention is to put them fighting each other
as has been done in recent films...Then to be honest...

Better not have more films about the series!

But from what I understand about your opinion, you did not like it.
Me too.

I don't want to see a bunch of college students battling aliens and predators, and that atmosphere of inner city like it was before.

I do not want to see a woman, again, pretending to be Ripley, again ... and so on ...
I want the best for the franchise SM.

Or they should stop to insist on trivializing these creatures that are considered by fans ; the coolest aliens of all.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 03, 2012, 04:42:13 AM
In your estimation, what do you think prevents those qualities from coming together for an AvP film? SM I'd like your input on this as well.
Not realising the full potential of what you can do with these two creatures playing off against each other and not knowing what film you're trying to make, just based on the last two movies. Both films resorted to uninspired monster wrestling matches we've seen dozens of times in Godzilla movies and AvPR didn't know that being infantile with its violence is not the same as being gritty and hardcore.

SM

SM

The AvP flicks occassionally had a good idea that never seemed fully realised.  I thought the laser traps in AvP:Poo were insteresting for instance.  It actually made sense of what the Predator was trying to do ie. contain an outbreak.  But instead of developing that idea more (like someone throwing one at an Alien or something), we get a Predator bursting through the street.

For a film like this use Aliens as a template.  It's non-stop action feast for when Ripley and Newt get attacked by the huggers for around 40 minutes.  You need the protagonists to be cut off at every turn, and then find a way to get out of their predicament only to be met be a worse predicament.  Similarly the battle between the titular creatures need to be attack and counter attack which play to their respective strengths while trying to exploit the others weaknesses.  AvP had stuff like this like when the Alien is attacking the Predator with its tail, so the Predator cuts the tip off, disarming that weapon - or so you'd think - until it flings acid from the stump.

And all this bullshit about character development - it's not vital.  If you can have the main character, or lead pair, have some development that'll do.  That was all we got with Aliens.  No one but Ripley had any development.  Everyone else was a stereotype - but they were memorable stereotypes, and people gave a shit when they died.  Even dude like Apone or Drake who are barely in a quarter of the film.

The AvP flicks didn't even have their leads have any sort of arc.

SiL

SiL

Exactly. We don't need deep characters, we just need people we can give a shit about, even if they are paper-thin cliches. Character arcs aren't that complicated to work into a plot, least of all one where the protagonist is caught in a horrifying life-or-death struggle; if anything that can make your job easier.

For the creature action we need quality over quantity, but without going to AvP's extreme of 10 minutes of creature action in an 85 minute film. If you played most of the movie with the creatures stalking each other in a deadly game of interspecies cat-and-mouse you could get away with them not slapping each other upside the head until the climax, at which point you go full Aliens with half and hour of almost nonstop action that steadily cranks up the tension as you go.

But naw, more wrestling matches every ten minutes. Worked for AvPR.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Well it sounds like you two have the right idea, no doubt about it. Do you think the setting is overtly important as well, i.e. present vs. future?

Marlowe

Marlowe

They tried in the first movie.We could respect ,a little, what they did in the first one.
The second was a total disaster.

No matter how small what we can do.We have to look to do well.

I agree the AVP series don't need to be profound or have some great names , great actors...This is a movie about a game...nothing beyond that.The aliens and the predators they are the star players!
But one thing we must think  and have sure.
You can't laugh at the movies when they come into the action. And that's what happened in the first and second film.

And also can't be like an RPG adventure . Initiative rolls to see who goes first.
The situations of encounters between the creatures are always the same cliché.This could be improved in the films.

redalert51

redalert51

In the future , of cause , and please let's not have filmed in  Vancouver. both the Predators and Aleins love hot climates ,
I love the notion of the earth of the future with the green house effect has finally taken its toll , most of humanity
have left to do what ever , but the Predators love it , perfect hunting ground , Alens perfect breeding ground
and the humans , we all know the rest ,
Please if they do , film a third one , TCFox have to hire a top of the line director ......

JayBob1984

JayBob1984

Quote from: Originalsin on Jun 06, 2007, 08:25:09 PM
I would want something new and fresh. Something with a minimal connection to any Alien, Predator or AVP movie. They should not have the Weyland Yutani corp. involved. I honestly think they need to look into Stephen Perry's writtings. The way he tells every persons point of view makes for charactors that you can honestly relate to. When you have people you can relate to then you feel more of what they are going through. If you have not read Aliens Vs Predator : PREY then you really need to. I highly recomend it. ;D

I agree with your statement 210% AVP:Prey should have been the first AVP movie period. As it is it looks like they tried to take elements from the novel and incorporate them into AVP. Not cool and another one of the reasons I like AVP:R better. The novel was flawless storywise, and they could have filmed it all in locations in the US, nice and close to home, which would have dropped costs alot! Arizona being an ideal place to shoot because its supposed to be a near desert planet that the novel takes place on. Alot like the movie Tremors, same setting except more futuristic.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed