New Members >>> Introduce Yourself

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:01:10 AM

Author
New Members >>> Introduce Yourself (Read 1,329,446 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: immortalundead on Jan 27, 2021, 07:24:45 PM
Got to pick up aliens hive #3 and predator big game #2 and then the fandom started from that point. Got tired of the reddit and facebook fan groups so came back here, as I missed the old forums and fan pages that were around in the early 2000s

Welcome back!

immortalundead

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 28, 2021, 08:06:20 AM
Welcome back!

That fandom never left haha... My collection of comics is now near complete after 25 years of collecting

Constantino

Constantino

I´m Constantino, 40 years old, i´m a portuguese director, love the predator and alien franchises.

I´ve made this year a tribute to the predator franchise : Enemy Unknown

Check it out : https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3816908/?ref_=nm_knf_i2

Local Trouble

Kradan

Kradan

You bastard  :D

Hello there, Constantino

WorldsAdventurer

Hi,

I'm Jonathan. I'm 34 and a big sci fi fan. Looking forward to seeing others views on these 3 great franchises.

I have recently got into the alien books and have recently dusted my ps3 off to ppsy AVP again. I forgot how good it is.

Anyway look forward to chatting /arguing in the forums.

Master Chief

Welcome aboard, recruit WorldsAdventurer!

Please see Forum Rules / Help FAQ.  Enjoy!

Eighty-Five

Right,

I used to be a member here long ago. Joined ~13 years back during the buildup to AvP:R when the Strauss bros were posting here etc. Probably had a few thousand posts, idk. Went inactive shortly after Prometheus came out. Don't really remember the email I used to sign up or the account name, but since I created it and did most of my posting on it as a teenager, I'm happy to distance myself from those cringe-inducing days of yore  :P.

So, to re-introduce: I have been fascinated by Alien/Predator since a very young age. I grew up in the 90s so the first few films of each franchise were already firmly a part of pop culture, and Alien 3 was still a recent memory for many. I had a couple of second-hand Kenner Aliens toys as a kid, and I remember being very angry when my best friend's dog chewed them to bits. My dad had a VHS recording of Predator from a late-night TV broadcast that I watched religiously from as far back as I can remember. I also had a copy of the Alien Trilogy FPS game on PlayStation that I was blasting my way through whenever I wasn't playing Resident Evil. I discovered a VHS recording of Aliens around the age of seven, and by the time I was ten I owned and had watched almost all of the existing movies many times over (aside from Resurrection cause it blows goats). I got into the AvP2 game on PC and played what I could of it including some 56k-modem online DM, bought a copy of the AvP: Eternal comic and Aliens: Nightmare Asylum/Earth Hive novels. From then on I was a hopelessly obssessed fanboi.

After the disappointments (for me at least) of Prometheus and Predators, my passion cooled somewhat. But I've also matured, developed new perspectives and learned a great deal. And Alien: Isolation was really great so I didn't entirely lose my love for the franchise. Recently, I got back into my hobby of building miniatures for wargaming/tabletop RPGs and discovered a small stash of AvP models. That took me down a rabbit hole that led to me discovering the Free League RPG, the new GF9 board game, and the AvPG podcast crew. Surprised to see how many of the old faces like SM, Cpl. Hicks, etc are still around.

So I'm back, not that any of us remembers who I was to begin with. Time to pointlessly debate some more Predator stans.

Kradan

Kradan

Welcome. Eighty-Five !  :)

Well, Hicks is sort of site's "official face" so, I guess, he's obligated to do it for the rest of his days  :D

Also, given your nickname, what're your thoughts on Alien 3 ?

Eighty-Five

Quote from: Kradan on Feb 16, 2021, 07:57:07 AM

I liked it from first viewing. It was sad that they killed Hicks and Newt but for the bleak tone they were trying to establish that made sense imo. It had an interesting score, better visual style (tho definitely not effects) than Aliens and a lot of really strong performances. That said, it has a lot of problems in terms of plot, structure and production. The Assembly cut was a major improvement to my view, but still flawed. Kinda sad we'll never see Fincher's vision because he proved to be an excellent director later on, and I'd argue superior to Scott or Cameron when looking at his full body of work.

I can understand why some people didn't like it, and maybe non-Brits found distinguishing the cast of largely bald white British guys apart difficult when most of them didn't get much screen time. Personally I love it tho. It ranks third out of the quadrilogy for me, still leagues ahead of Resurrection. Just wish I could get a glimpse of the alternate universe where the studio didn't constantly sabotage Fincher til he quit production.

Corporal Hicks

Welcome back 85! What were the mini's you found? The Prodos ones?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 16, 2021, 08:50:07 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Feb 16, 2021, 07:57:07 AM

I liked it from first viewing. It was sad that they killed Hicks and Newt but for the bleak tone they were trying to establish that made sense imo. It had an interesting score, better visual style (tho definitely not effects) than Aliens and a lot of really strong performances. That said, it has a lot of problems in terms of plot, structure and production. The Assembly cut was a major improvement to my view, but still flawed. Kinda sad we'll never see Fincher's vision because he proved to be an excellent director later on, and I'd argue superior to Scott or Cameron when looking at his full body of work.

I can understand why some people didn't like it, and maybe non-Brits found distinguishing the cast of largely bald white British guys apart difficult when most of them didn't get much screen time. Personally I love it tho. It ranks third out of the quadrilogy for me, still leagues ahead of Resurrection. Just wish I could get a glimpse of the alternate universe where the studio didn't constantly sabotage Fincher til he quit production.

Good man

;D

Eighty-Five

Eighty-Five

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 16, 2021, 09:26:25 AM

No, fraid not. I was out of the mini-collecting hobby for a few years during a misguided filmmaking stint at Brighton Uni and totally missed out on the Prodos era. Probably not entirely bad since I likely would have ended up sinking hundreds into their horrendously managed kickstarter. But also a terrible shame because some of their minis were excellent and I totally missed the boat. They're ludicrously expensive on the aftermarket for the most part, though I have snagged a few boxes of the 'alternate' alien warriors I found going for close to original retail. They recreate the actual suits from the 86 movie much better than the largely AvP-inspired designs of their range. Would love to get some Preds/Praetorians too at some point but they're even more overpriced on eBay now, so not likely really.

The minis I discovered in my box of unpainted/built stuff were from the era before Prodos where there hadn't really been any officially licensed Alien/Predator minis in that scale range for over a decade. 4 metal not-Predators from an indie sculptor/manufacturer and one REALLY nice Big Chap from a limited set of 75 resin castings done by a fan. At some point I might put up some photos of them tho idk what board that'd fit in. I've got some of the new GF9 stuff too including the Queen so I'm quickly assembling a tiny tabletop hive here  :D

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 16, 2021, 03:18:16 AM
Right,

I used to be a member here long ago. Joined ~13 years back during the buildup to AvP:R when the Strauss bros were posting here etc. Probably had a few thousand posts, idk. Went inactive shortly after Prometheus came out. Don't really remember the email I used to sign up or the account name, but since I created it and did most of my posting on it as a teenager, I'm happy to distance myself from those cringe-inducing days of yore  :P.

So, to re-introduce: I have been fascinated by Alien/Predator since a very young age. I grew up in the 90s so the first few films of each franchise were already firmly a part of pop culture, and Alien 3 was still a recent memory for many. I had a couple of second-hand Kenner Aliens toys as a kid, and I remember being very angry when my best friend's dog chewed them to bits. My dad had a VHS recording of Predator from a late-night TV broadcast that I watched religiously from as far back as I can remember. I also had a copy of the Alien Trilogy FPS game on PlayStation that I was blasting my way through whenever I wasn't playing Resident Evil. I discovered a VHS recording of Aliens around the age of seven, and by the time I was ten I owned and had watched almost all of the existing movies many times over (aside from Resurrection cause it blows goats). I got into the AvP2 game on PC and played what I could of it including some 56k-modem online DM, bought a copy of the AvP: Eternal comic and Aliens: Nightmare Asylum/Earth Hive novels. From then on I was a hopelessly obssessed fanboi.

After the disappointments (for me at least) of Prometheus and Predators, my passion cooled somewhat. But I've also matured, developed new perspectives and learned a great deal. And Alien: Isolation was really great so I didn't entirely lose my love for the franchise. Recently, I got back into my hobby of building miniatures for wargaming/tabletop RPGs and discovered a small stash of AvP models. That took me down a rabbit hole that led to me discovering the Free League RPG, the new GF9 board game, and the AvPG podcast crew. Surprised to see how many of the old faces like SM, Cpl. Hicks, etc are still around.

So I'm back, not that any of us remembers who I was to begin with. Time to pointlessly debate some more Predator stans.

Seems like we had a similar trajectory growing up, although I'll fight you over Rez and Prometheus being bad. Welcome back regardless.

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Feb 16, 2021, 12:00:25 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 16, 2021, 09:26:25 AM

No, fraid not. I was out of the mini-collecting hobby for a few years during a misguided filmmaking stint at Brighton Uni and totally missed out on the Prodos era. Probably not entirely bad since I likely would have ended up sinking hundreds into their horrendously managed kickstarter. But also a terrible shame because some of their minis were excellent and I totally missed the boat. They're ludicrously expensive on the aftermarket for the most part, though I have snagged a few boxes of the 'alternate' alien warriors I found going for close to original retail. They recreate the actual suits from the 86 movie much better than the largely AvP-inspired designs of their range. Would love to get some Preds/Praetorians too at some point but they're even more overpriced on eBay now, so not likely really.

The minis I discovered in my box of unpainted/built stuff were from the era before Prodos where there hadn't really been any officially licensed Alien/Predator minis in that scale range for over a decade. 4 metal not-Predators from an indie sculptor/manufacturer and one REALLY nice Big Chap from a limited set of 75 resin castings done by a fan. At some point I might put up some photos of them tho idk what board that'd fit in. I've got some of the new GF9 stuff too including the Queen so I'm quickly assembling a tiny tabletop hive here  :D

A lot of people talk shit about the AvP kickstarter, but I actually had a completely fine experience with it, I got almost everything very promptly and ended up with doubles of the stuff that was late.

As for those alternate warriors, I may have spent a silly amount on them during the closing down sale.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed