Started by Chris P, May 29, 2008, 10:09:26 PM

Which ALIEN design did you preffer out of:  AVP  &   AVPR

AVP
175 (66.8%)
AVPR
87 (33.2%)

Total Members Voted: 243

Author
Which ALIEN design did you prefer out of: AVP & AVPR (Read 92,428 times)

Chris P

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2008, 03:21:23 AM
They weren't genetically engineered.  They went through a normal egg-hugger-host-burster-adult life cycle.

Two of them took on nine humans in the flooded kitchen.  One of them took on six humans after Elgyn was killed.  Similarly one Alien took on Lambert and Parker on the Nostromo.

Aliens can swarm as Aliens shows; but they rather clearly don't do it exlcusively.  The convicts had superior numbers in the leadworks and one Alien still managed to pick most of them off.

QuoteIf not, I believe my intelegance is at a fine display from here.

Stop it!!! I'm going to piss myself!!  :D

QuoteBees do NOT gestate inside a living organism!  Where did you hear that?

I heard it from the guy who likened the Alien life cycle to a bees life cycle.  Sounded a lot like you.

QuoteBee Queens are similar to Ant Queens.  They all sense one another by scent.  You know, their antennas.  Bees also use a "dance-like" method of porttraying information, but, the Queen gives off scents to communicate with her hive.

And the last time we saw an Alien dancing or giving off scents was....?

QuoteIn the Auriga, there weren't many Aliens when they broke free.  The Queen hadn't made her hive yet, and still most of the crew was gone.  So a swarm then would have been about 2 or 3 Aliens at a time.

Ah, so it IS a brand new definition of 'swarm'.  Glad we cleared that up.

QuoteHere is a lesson on a Bee's life cycle. 

I might care if I didn't already know how bees work and how they are clearly not Aliens.

I'm sorry if a Queen who gives birth like a human mother is not genetically modified, then I am out to lunch.  Wasn't that one of the basic premisses of Alien Resurrection?  Maybe I saw a different take, one that involved a Weyland company trying to create a biological weapon through the mixing of Alien and Human DNA.  Mine had Ripley in it, what was yours like?

The direct quote did not reffer Aliens as Bees but Aliens LIKE Bees.  I must not have been clear......nope, I was. ;).

Swarm: Defenition #1:  A large number of insects or other small organisms, especially when in motion.

For full definitions and examples pleaase see:  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/swarm

More than one moving, attacking a another single OR multiple party is usually called a swarm. ;)

Aliens didn't dance.  Never quoted.  What about that whole segment when they were trying to figure out how the Queen was cominicating with her brood?  Maybe I was the only one who watched the movies?

Maybe you should read those wonderful links I provided for you.  You obvious have little knowlege of how bees work.  The internet is a wonderful thing, and this site has big pictures, so there is no confusion. ;).

Personally, I have better blader control, but I can see why you would find this so funny.  What you are saying has no evidence to back it up. :D.

Anything else?  Or have I convinced you? 8)

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Chris P on Jun 24, 2008, 03:35:41 AM
Maybe I saw a different take, one that involved a Weyland company trying to create a biological weapon through the mixing of Alien and Human DNA.

I think you must have seen a different film.  In the real film, there was no Weyland Yutani, (It was the United Systems Military) and the genetic crossing was a completely unwanted/unexpected result of the cloning procedure, as stated on screen by Dr. Gediman.

Swarm: Defenition #1:  A large number of insects or other small organisms, especially when in motion.

More than one moving, attacking a another single OR multiple party is usually called a swarm. ;)

Two (or Three) is not a large number.  Therefore, two Aliens does not constitute a swarm.  I can't believe I'd need to point out something so obvious, but there you have it.

Chris P

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jun 24, 2008, 03:39:30 AM
Maybe I saw a different take, one that involved a Weyland company trying to create a biological weapon through the mixing of Alien and Human DNA.

I think you must have seen a different film.  In the real film, there was no Weyland Yutani, (It was the United Systems Military) and the genetic crossing was a completely unwanted/unexpected result of the cloning procedure, as stated on screen by Dr. Gediman.

Weren't they originated by Weyland and then split to conclude the project?  Wasn't that what they were talking about in the Cafe when Ripley called a Fork a F**K? :D

Uncanny Antman

No, Weyland Yutani is a dissolved company by the time of A:R.

SM

QuoteI'm sorry if a Queen who gives birth like a human mother is not genetically modified, then I am out to lunch.

She still started with the "normal" egg laying cycle.  She started a second cycle later.

Edit - What Ants said.

QuoteSwarm: Defenition #1:  A large number of insects or other small organisms, especially when in motion.

For full definitions and examples pleaase see:  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/swarm

More than one moving, attacking a another single OR multiple party is usually called a swarm.

So "more than one" = "a large number".  Check your foot for bullet holes.

Quotebut I can see why you would find this so funny

Yeah I guy extolling his superior intelligence, who can't actually spell intelligence is always good for a giggle.

QuoteOr have I convinced you?

You may have if you had posted anything that was in anyway convincing.

The Queen being "genetically modified" is technically correct, but also implies that it was intentional.  Clearly the film tells us it was not.

Chris P

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jun 24, 2008, 03:45:41 AM
No, Weyland Yutani is a dissolved company by the time of A:R.
Oh, thanks bud.  Forgot that.  Haven't seen Resurrection in a while. :D.

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2008, 03:51:07 AM
QuoteI'm sorry if a Queen who gives birth like a human mother is not genetically modified, then I am out to lunch.

She still started with the "normal" egg laying cycle.  She started a second cycle later.

Edit - What Ants said.

QuoteSwarm: Defenition #1:  A large number of insects or other small organisms, especially when in motion.

For full definitions and examples pleaase see:  http://www.thefreedictionary.com/swarm

More than one moving, attacking a another single OR multiple party is usually called a swarm.

So "more than one" = "a large number".  Check your foot for bullet holes.

Quotebut I can see why you would find this so funny

Yeah I guy extolling his superior intelligence, who can't actually spell intelligence is always good for a giggle.

QuoteOr have I convinced you?

You may have if you had posted anything that was in anyway convincing.

The Queen being "genetically modified" is technically correct, but also implies that it was intentional.  Clearly the film tells us it was not.

- Still genetically modified.

- Last time I checked: 2 is "larger" than one.  So, is 3.  Just in case you weren't sure. ;)

- My foot is fine, yours must be smoking right about now. ;)

- "Yeah I guy extolling"  I'm sorry, if my spelling is bad.  But what do you call that?  Certainly not grammer. ;)

-  I think that sums it up.  Now, this topic is getting boring.  So, is there anything else you have for me to proove otherwise?  Or is that it? ;)

Eidotemit

"Genetically modified" carries with a connotation that it was deliberate. The Queens mutation was an unintentional byproduct of the cloning, much like R8's alien characteristics. So while technically correct, it is a decidedly poor choice in words.

A "large number" does not mean anything more than one.

Flaming Firefox

I always thought the closest thing to ALIENS were not bees or ants, but rather parasitic wasps.

Quote[With most species, adult parasitic wasps themselves do not take any nutrients from their prey, and, much like bees, butterflies, and moths, they typically derive all of their nutrition from nectar. Parasitic wasps are typically parasitoids, and extremely diverse in habits, many laying their eggs in inert stages of their host (egg or pupa), or sometimes paralyzing their prey by injecting it with venom through their ovipositor. They then insert one or more eggs into the host or deposit them upon the host externally. The host remains alive until the parasitoid larvae are mature, usually dying either when the parasitoids pupate, or when they emerge as adults.

Tomatoe Worm with Wasp Eggs-

Chris P

Quote from: Eidotemit on Jun 24, 2008, 05:12:26 PM
"Genetically modified" carries with a connotation that it was deliberate. The Queens mutation was an unintentional byproduct of the cloning, much like R8's alien characteristics. So while technically correct, it is a decidedly poor choice in words.

A "large number" does not mean anything more than one.

Well, I guess you're right.  I mean the cloning was deliberate, so, it might play into the modifications of the Queen.

- I should have chosen better words, like "multiple" instead. ;).

Quote from: Flaming Firefox on Jun 24, 2008, 05:28:31 PM
I always thought the closest thing to ALIENS were not bees or ants, but rather parasitic wasps.

Quote[With most species, adult parasitic wasps themselves do not take any nutrients from their prey, and, much like bees, butterflies, and moths, they typically derive all of their nutrition from nectar. Parasitic wasps are typically parasitoids, and extremely diverse in habits, many laying their eggs in inert stages of their host (egg or pupa), or sometimes paralyzing their prey by injecting it with venom through their ovipositor. They then insert one or more eggs into the host or deposit them upon the host externally. The host remains alive until the parasitoid larvae are mature, usually dying either when the parasitoids pupate, or when they emerge as adults.

Tomatoe Worm with Wasp Eggs-

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1210/1019737711_86dfc99846.jpg?v=0

Ah, yes.  BUT, where is the queen or more so, the entire hive?  Most wasps, tend to be lone wanderers.  Now, some do have hives and a queen, but this one does not, unless you can show me.

No animal on earth can be exactly like an ALIEN.  There are some that are "Similar" and others that have similar atributes, but none have every likeness to them. ;)

Parler

I didn't notice a difference, but I voted AvP-R, because they seemed more vicious.

DoomRulz

You thought the AvP:R aliens were vicious? Wow, which movie were you watching?

Chris P

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2008, 11:00:33 PM

:D, oh come on.  They did some vicious things.  Like that time when........nope, how about when.........nope, let me try again.  How about that time when............Damn, I got nothin. >:(.  They were stupid, rubber, pourly designed, but not vicious.  Sorry Spartan. ;)

Reborn

I liked the avp design.

DoomRulz

Quote from: Chris P on Jun 24, 2008, 11:38:18 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 24, 2008, 11:00:33 PM

:D, oh come on.  They did some vicious things.  Like that time when........nope, how about when.........nope, let me try again.  How about that time when............Damn, I got nothin. >:(.  They were stupid, rubber, pourly designed, but not vicious.  Sorry Spartan. ;)

They had some moments, but certainly nothing I'd call vicious.

Technine

the aliens in avp were like dog aliens
the aliens in avpr were like the alien from the first alien movie

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed