All Star Wars (Read 2,923,843 times)

Eva

Eva

So, it seems that both King's Landing and Rian Johnson got roasted.  :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 14, 2019, 07:55:46 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 07:08:29 PM
The Arrival story felt very average, been there done that, paint by numbers in my opinion.

That could be said for just about every story the last several decades. I forget who said it, but someone - a director, writer had once said (loosely quoted), "There's really only nine truly original scripts in film history. Everything else is just a variation of those original nine. (I'm curious what nine scripts he was referring to) Hey! Another challenge! Anyone care to adventure what those nine scripts might be?

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 07:08:29 PM
But the direction was superb and greatly elevated the material, as most great directors do. And it was an adapted short story by Ted Chiang.

But this may not necessarily be the case of a great director solely elevating an "average story" as you imply.

Eric's adaption was good enough for Eric to win the Saturn Awards Best Writer award, the Hugo Awards Best Dramatic Presentation award, Oscar nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay, and the scriptwriters Holy Grail of awards....... won the Writers Guild of America Best Adapted Screenplay award, all for Arrival.

If it was an average script that was elevated only by great direction as you imply, why would all those accolade organizations shower Eric's adapted screenplay with such praise? Film industry politics? It's rigged? His studio slipped payola under the table to those organizations?

I don't entertain conversations very long from people who act pompous, patronizing, and passive aggressive - which you hit all three with me between this and mostly the GoT thread, so much so that Hicks had to worn you. But I'll give you one more chance, if you are truly seeking my opinion in an honest conversation, honestly and naturally.

I do believe the quality of film has dropped over the past couple decades. People throw words around like masterpieces towards films like A Star is Born, Black Panther, The Martian, La La Land, The Last Jedi, Vice and so on, and so on, which to me are so undeserving of those type of accolades. Some may be good films, some aren't, but the quality has dropped in every genre. The overall competition has dropped in my eyes. The entire theatrical slate, year upon year.

So when Arrival wins Writers Guild of America Best Adapted Screenplay award, no I'm not too impressed based on my perceived overall lowering of quality, especially when films like Deadpool and Nocturnal Animals are nominated for the same award the same year.  With Arrival, beyond some corny dialogue, it just felt the same to me, where I feel - been there, done that - while other movies like Contact and Interstellar were written better. Not directed better. Not even Nolan. But written better. Arrival's direction was superb.

So there you have it. All in my humble opinion.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 08:50:04 PM
I don't entertain conversations very long from people who act pompous, patronizing, and passive aggressive - which you hit all three with me between this and mostly the GoT thread, so much so that Hicks had to worn you.

Um, read my post again. There's nothing there that patronizes or contain passive aggressive innuendo. As for pompous, look who's calling the kettle black. I merely posted a counterpoint that Eric's script is more than just an average story with so many professionals praising it. It's clear you are very thin skinned when someone counterpoints your opinion. I've witnessed this in the past where you get easily triggered when other members contest your opinion.

Simple solution for you, stop responding to my posts.

so much so that Hicks had to worn you.

Bear in mind that warning from Hicks resides in the same thread where a member is calling a female a f*****n c**t, who received no warning from any mod. So much for another one of your "endorsements" to fortify your opinion, not to mention the fact how that might be offensive to female members of this forum.

Just stop posting to me. Matter resolved. Cheers.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 14, 2019, 09:14:18 PM
I don't entertain conversations very long from people who act pompous, patronizing, and passive aggressive - which you hit all three with me between this and mostly the GoT thread, so much so that Hicks had to worn you.

Um, read my post again. There's nothing there that patronizes or contain passive aggressive innuendo.

"If it was an average script that was elevated only by great direction as you imply, why would all those accolade organizations shower Eric's adapted screenplay with such praise? Film industry politics? It's rigged? His studio slipped payola under the table to those organizations?"

There it is. Pompous and patronizing. But as I said, mostly on the GoT thread, always punctuated with emojis.

QuoteJust stop posting to me. Matter resolved. Cheers.

Done. Please do the same.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 09:23:56 PM
There it is. Pompous and patronizing.

Now....when you say pompus and patronizing, do you mean the type of pompous and patronizing like......

A couple members here pm'd me and said your joke wasn't remotely funny.

or.....

Ah, the BvS defense.

Or did you mean the type of pompous and patronizing where you used imagery to be pompous and patronizing like.......

or......

You love to dish it out, but boy you sure can't take it.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

You quote my pm joke reply.. to your pm joke? And oh my lord, those memes are knocking the writers of GoT, not you ya goofball!

Life's too short. Stop getting triggered if someone doesn't like the writing on GoT, which you were, today not so much. If you like it, that's all that matters. AvPR is a guilty pleasure of mine. I don't care and neither should you! We're all equals here. Peace.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Just stop posting to me. Matter resolved. Cheers.

Done.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 14, 2019, 10:01:58 PM
Stop getting triggered if someone blah, blah, blah.....

So.......not done?  :laugh:

Rankles75

Rankles75

The Old One

The Old One

For once I agree Rankles.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on May 14, 2019, 10:30:15 PM
For once I agree Rankles.

I knew this day would come!   ;D

Rankles75

Rankles75

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Bear in mind that warning from Hicks resides in the same thread where a member is calling a female a f*****n c**t, who received no warning from any mod. So much for another one of your "endorsements" to fortify your opinion, not to mention the fact how that might be offensive to female members of this forum.

Perhaps because I simply hadn't seen it yet. But that has no bearing on nor does it negate the fact I've already asked you once to stop being with the attitude. You run your own site, you know how much hard work it is. I wouldn't have expected you to throw that all in my face by ignoring our community rules or ignoring the people run the place. I wont be asking again.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 15, 2019, 05:27:29 AM
Perhaps because I simply hadn't seen it yet.

Well now in all fairness, I didn't say you specifically. I said, who received no warning from "any mod." Unless you're saying you're the only mod now. If so, I wasn't aware of that.

I wont be asking again.

Understood.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 15, 2019, 08:57:38 AM
Perhaps because I simply hadn't seen it yet.

Well now in all fairness, I didn't say you specifically. I said, who received no warning from "any mod." Unless you're saying you're the only mod now. If so, I wasn't aware of that.

Who knows. I remember posting a fanart at the recreation area with Ripley & the Alien in an erotic position. My post was removed almost immediately by @Ridgetop. It was the right thing and I aware of  the rules. However, in the same area (recreation),  I've seen some lascivious posts but somehow these posts were never edited or deleted. Now, I know that running a site like this is not an easy task, but at the same time the people behind are a group of humans beings, and you know that no one is perfect.

This is my first and last post on this subject anyway.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed