Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics!

Started by Secret Hero, Mar 07, 2008, 07:25:42 PM

Author
Film Reviews - AvPGalaxy's Own Critics! (Read 276,449 times)

TJ Doc

Part 3!

Near Dark

This is the movie that makes vampires look awesome. Before, they were just there to be villains; a target of our hatred. Near Dark, however, presents them in such a light (dark?) that there will indeed be times where you'll think: Man, I wish I could be one of them. The Lost Boys tried this, but ultimately became too bogged down in making them straightforward antagonists, whereas here our minds are constantly conflicted over the matter. Should we hate them or not?

This is because the Vampires in Near Dark are undoubtedly evil. It's just that they have such a good time doing what they do. When they're luring unwary people to their deaths, or simply terrorising helpless victims, it just looks like fun, regardless of the horrific results. Adding to this is the pitch-perfect casting. Not only do we get Lance Henriksen (!) as Jesse, the "pack" leader, but also Jenette Goldstein (!!) as his undead squeeze, as well as (prepare to be blown away) Bill Paxton (!!!), proving himself once again to be the ultimate badass whilst he plays the smooth and just a little insane Severen.

But what really stands out in this film is its atmosphere. Amazingly, Kathryn Bigelow (who at the time was in a relationship with James Cameron, which may or may not have had something to do with the casting) succeeds in blending a large and diverse number of genres. We already know about the vampire element, but this is also a western, a road movie, and a romance. What you get as a result is one of the most unique films ever made. You'll go from feeling startled by the movie's frequent (but never too graphic) violence, to admiring the wonderfully dusty cinematography, to getting a rush from the action sequences, and to being drawn into Near Dark's many touching and poignant scenes (helped to no end by Tangerine Dream's mellow soundtrack). There's nothing else quite like it.

Unfortunately it's not perfect. The area that suffers the most is the plot. It's not that it's bad; far from it - Near Dark has an excellent story! It's just that there are a few little 'issues' I have with it. For instance, dawn just seems to happen too quickly, or when it's necessary to move the plot along. I realise that it was probably unavoidable, but it is very noticeable. Also (and this is really just my problem), it's anticlimactic. You might not think so, but it just ended too quickly for me. Ultimately, though, my complaints shouldn't nearly be enough to damage anyone's enjoyment of the film.

'Who ordered pizza?:D
4/5

Friday The 13th (2009)

You know, even though I welcomed the remarkable change of pace that was Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday, to a film series as stale as Friday The 13th was by that stage, taking the titular character into space with the next installment, Jason X, was a step too far.

And that's exactly why this remake succeeds. It takes Jason back to the woods for some bare-basics slashing. It's all very simple: teenagers come to Crystal Lake for some premarital bonking, and Jason kills them. Bloodily. Surprisingly though, the writers managed to add an interesting enough subplot involving a guy looking for his missing sister; so there's more to this movie than just tits 'n' gore.

But that's not all this remake manages to achieve! The characters are, whisper it, likeable... Well, most of them are likeable. One guy's a dick. But it's okay, because we're meant to dislike him! He's the resident knob. Speaking of characters, Jason has never looked better. Derek Mears not only has the perfect physique for the psycho-killer, but also acts in such a way that Jason becomes menacing for the first time in God knows how many sequels. And he runs, too! None of that plodding and teleporting bull, but rather a realistic approach to the Jason character, where he uses underground tunnels to cover large distances quickly. It works (though there will surely be many butthurt fanboys as a result, the wimps).

While the kills may not have been the most inventive (the film actually wastes a few opportunities for maximum gory carnage), they are certainly carried out with skill; and there's more than enough splatter to keep you entertained. With that in mind, it's clear that the new Friday The 13th ticks all the right slasher movie boxes, and ticks them well. Heck, it may be the best Friday yet...

Oh, and:
Quote from: severen76 on Oct 02, 2009, 07:52:18 PM
Epic boobs were epic.

3/5

Fright Night

Alongside The Lost Boys and Near Dark, Fright Night completes what is essentially an unofficial vampire film trilogy from the late 80's, although this was made first in 1985. It's also probably the best of the trio, too (though this is indeed an arguable matter). This is mostly due to the movie's style. Whilst The Lost Boys attempted to make it look hip and cool to be a vampire in the 80's, and Near Dark took a gritty and atmospherically hard edged approach to the Nosferatu, Fright Night spins something of a more traditional take on the genre.

That's not to say it's all business as usual, though. Sure, there are classic vampire film conventions aplenty; including stakes, crosses, garlic, bat and wolf transformations, a creepy old house, and even a couple of vintage Dracula-style plot elements. What's so impressive, however, is the constant undercurrent of humour that subtly runs beneath the dominant horror aspect. Basically, Fright Night is to vampire movies what Scream is to slasher movies! A quasi-parody! It's doubtful that you'll laugh out loud, but you will notice and appreciate the film's ability to make fun of its own genre. And for that reason, this is a film that's way ahead of its time.

But what with this being a vampire movie, you can be rest assured that there is certainly some horror to be found. Fright Night may not be the most terrifying film ever made, but it does contain some genuinely frightening sequences - helped to a large degree by several gruesome makeup effects lavished upon lead vampire Jerry Dandridge (and minions). Dandridge is portrayed by Chris Sarandon, and I'll be damned if he isn't the coolest vampire ever depicted on celluloid! Imagine if Dracula was a young, hip bachelor in the 80's. That's Dandridge! He's effortlessly suave, and faces no challenge in seducing any female characters the story should provide him with. Severen may have been badass... but Dandridge is the man!

In direct contrast is Peter Vincent (wonderfully portrayed by the late, great Roddy McDowall), a jittery has-been vampire movie star who main character Charlie enlists to help destroy Dandridge (his new neighbour, as luck would have it). McDowall's character screams hopelessness, and he hilariously runs scared from several vampiric confrontations. Charlie, on the other hand, is somewhat less compelling. He should get an award for 'Most Naive Protagonist Ever' or something (watch the scene where he tries to convince a police detective that his neighbour is a vampire... oh dear). But I guess it adds to the charm. Typing of charm, things get a bit raunchy at times - and Brad Fiedel's (of Terminator fame) synth score compliments the film's sensous atmosphere greatly.

For real...
4/5

The Fly (1986)

Errr, yeah. Gross.

Seriously, though, this is one of those films that just gets better and better every time I see it. The Fly is a timeless classic; easily aping its 1950's predecessor (of which this is a remake) and taking bold leaps and bounds for the horror genre. Being a Cronenberg movie, it's all about the body horror. When Seth (OMFG JEFF GOLDBLUM!!!1!) Brundle steps out of that telepod, only for his body to begin decaying thanks to that titular flying insect being in said telepod with him at the same time, the movie taps into the universal fear that we, as human beings, are indeed gradually decaying. But apart from that, this particularly gloopy film crafts one of the most convincing love stories ever told! Not to mention one that is tragically doomed. It's a...

Ahhhh! Nnnnn! Must. Resist! Noooo... don't, TJ. Don't! Mmmmmm.... Maaaa....

MASTERPIECE!!!
5/5

TJ Doc

The Final Part! (?)

Halloween, Halloween II & Halloween H20: 20 Years Later

My bum hurts.

There's nothing I can type about the original Halloween that hasn't been typed for a bajillion freaking other reviews, so I'll keep this part short. John Carpenter is the undisputed master of suspense horror. He has the ability to ratchet up tension like no other director can, and unleash the greatest BOO!-scares in the history of cinema. Indeed, Halloween is like the Carpenter checkbook of his films. All his greatest qualities can be found in it: unbearable suspense, spooky lighting, minimal gore (maximum effect), and that score composed by Carpenter himself. Not to mention a simple plot concerning an escaped mental patient by the name of Michale Myers stalking babysitters, including one Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis). It all comes together to create one of, if not the, scariest horror movies ever made. In any case, it's the ultimate slasher flick; and that's all that matters.

Halloween II, on the other hand, is a more complicated beast. I don't think I'm surprising anyone by stating that it doesn't live up to the original. Thing is, though, that was inevitable. When put next to it's predecessor, it's nothing short of tepid by comparison! So, one must base the film on its own merits, if one is to give it a fair review. Upon doing this, one may be surprised to discover that this is not a bad little film after all; just a far-from-great one.

In fact I'd be lying if I said that I didn't like Halloween II. It does a good job of picking up from the first film's nail-biting cliffhanger ending, and manages to end with a satisfying conclusion (which, I should mention, was intended to permanently finish the story of Michael Myers; and it really should have ended there). Beginning and ending aside, there's more than enough to merit the film for too. I point primarily in the direction of the sequence where Myers chases Laurie Strode through the hospital corridors that the meat of the film takes place in. She has more than a few close calls, that's for sure; and such moments are certainly intense. The performances are (for the most part) strong too, with Donald Pleasence giving it his all as the somewhat barmy Dr. Loomis. Naturally, the supporting cast consists mainly of knife-fodder, but they're convincing enough.

But it is far, oh so far, from perfect. This film has a whole host of problems, not least of which is the fact that it just isn't scary. Rick Rosenthal can't match Carpenter in the horror stakes, I'm afraid; and this fact unfortunately shlurps through during some key moments. Take, for instance, the scene where a security guard is investigating why the phones in the hospital aren't working. It's a long and drawn out segment, featuring him navigating his way through the dark with a torch, that not only features two failed attempts at a BOO!-scare, but also has a hilariously bad payoff. Michael might as well have stepped out of the shadows and gone: "IT'S HAMMER TIME!" It would have at least meant they were trying to be funny.

More stupidity lurks elsewhere, just in case you were wondering. Halloween II should get an award for 'Unluckiest Teenager Ever', or something. The poor guy just happens to be wearing a mask similar to that of the real killer, and whilst wondering why he's having a gun pointed at him he wanders into the road... only for a police car to plough into him! Said vehicle then pins him with full force against a van! Amazingly, it gets worse - the van proceeds to explode, roasting the kid. Jesus. That guy had school on Monday!

I also particularly like the perfect indented outline left by Myers on the front lawn of a house after his fall from a balcony early on in the film, but now I'm just nitpicking. Bottom line - Halloween II is a solid slasher that, while never matching the dizzying heights of its predecessor, is still an enjoyable effort. It's certainly better than most of the other slasher crap being churned out at the time; not least of which is the same year's (1981) Friday The 13th: Part 2 (shudder).

And so we come to Halloween H20: 20 Years Later; and I'd like to take this moment to go on about the Halloween series' problem with continuity. You see, H20 is the seventh entry in the franchise. Well, sixth really, since Halloween III should not count, but that's a whole other issue. But yes, there was a Halloween 4, 5 and 6 (the last of which featuring a kill where Michael Myers impales a Strode relative to a fuse box, making him explode; so Myers predates Indiana Jones in the ridiculous stakes - 'nuking the fridge' should become 'exploding the Strode' in my opinion). What makes H20 so interesting is that it completely ignores the events that took place in those instalments. They dealt largely with Michael Myers going after Laurie Strode's daughter, and over the course of this trilogy, the reasons behind Michael's evil were revealed. We ultimately discovered that he was being controlled... by... Druids...

Yeah. Aaaaaanyway, H20 acts as though those movies never took place, placing Jamie Lee Curtis's character in the position of a headmistress at a private school, who is also an alcoholic and is overprotective of her son. She lives in fear of the fact that Michael could well come after her again... wait a minute! Sorry, but Michael was pretty messed up at the end of Halloween II. It was clear that they wanted him dead. So what, did he just get up, dust himself up, and walk out the hospital doors? Making matters worse is the fact that H20 doesn't even bother to explain how this is possible. Exposition, movie! It's your friend!

And when Michael does indeed show up, he doesn't bear any of the scars from the first two films! Spoiler alert, but near the climax of Halloween II, he had both his eyes shot out. Heck, he got a coathanger in one eye during the original. But here, nothing! Not a scratch! This movie even dares to give us a closeup of his (now perfectly healed) eyes. It's just plain silly (and the same can be said for his new mask, too). Oh, and movie... don't tease us with a dangerous mechanism if you're not going to utilise it. Please?

But enough of my ranting, since H20 is actually rather decent. Whilst it does sag in the middle under too much teen angst, it opens very well and suspensefully (the prologue even includes a cameo from a classic character), and features a final act containing the Laurie vs. Michale smackdown that I'm sure many had been waiting for since 1978. What's more, it ends brilliantly; and I'd have been happy to wait a decade for Rob Zombie to do his remake thing, as I'd be safe in the knowledge that the original saga had ended on the highest of high notes. But they made Halloween: Resurrection. The bastards.

But screw that film. And screw all that Druid related crap too. This is the real Halloween saga; we get to see an evolving relationship between Laurie Strode and Michael Myers across three films that builds to a head in a terrific final confrontation, and doesn't leave you wanting more. Also, as a Halloween night's viewing pleasure, you could do much worse than this unofficial trilogy.

4/5

This concludes my October horror film reviews that (almost) nobody read. There'll be plenty more for next year, though! Until then, it's back to normal.

TJ Doc out...

SpaceMarines

I see you used defenestrated in your review of The Omen IV. Stealing my word, are you? Bastard! *shakes fist at TJ Doc*

TJ Doc

Sorry! I admit, your frequent usage of such a godly word inspired me to include it in that review. Think of it as my way of... honouring you.

severen76

I agree that those boobs were epic.

TJ Doc

All six of 'em.

severen76

Haha. I only remember the end pair.

SpaceMarines

Quote from: TJ Doc on Nov 02, 2009, 09:52:27 PM
Sorry! I admit, your frequent usage of such a godly word inspired me to include it in that review. Think of it as my way of... honouring you.

I thank you, good sir, for this honour. I shall sleep well tonight knowing that I have further spread the usage of this word.

A55tricky

The Forbidden Kingdom

Visual FX: 40%
This movie is of course using the magical feeling of Crouch Tiger. Lots, and lots of impossible feats, but the interesting part is that this movie doesn't do it constantly. Not everyone can preform such abilities. Nothing about the visuals are new or unique. This is like watching the same chines fantasy movie again and again. some of the backgrounds are very neat looking and others are very laughable, looking like they are right out of The Power Rangers.

Sound FX: 20%
Same sounds you hear in every over the top kung fu movie. Rocks crumbling and the sound of lettuce getting beat with a stick everytime someone gets hit.

Storyline: 10%
The storyline is ridiculous. This has the cliche of being a teenagers fantasy. It's a cross between Bullet Proof Monk and Ninja Turtles 3. A kung fu movie obsessed teenager is magically sent to ancient china where he must return a cool looking staff to the  MONKEY KING that was frozen in stone by the warlord god that tricked him in a duel. By doing so he will unfreeze the Monkey King. The story is hard to fallow only because it is so uninteresting. It also feels like one big chines movie cliche, and like it's America making fun of chines myth and culture.

Violent Factor: 50%
Well it's got lots of fights but little blood. That's no a bad thing. It's as violent as any other Jackie Chan movie. A lot of punches and kicks with no one really getting hurt.

Overall:
This movie for the first time stars both Jackie Chan and Jet Lee. Two legends of the kung fu movie world. It should have been epic for a kung fu movie. But unfortunately I just couldn't wait for this movie to be over. It runs for 1 hour and 44 minutes and felt to long. I never got a connection with any of the characters, making it so i didn't care if any of them die or not. There are some cute parts, but not as many as you hope for from a Jackie Chan movie. Even if you just want to see Jackie Chan and Jet Lee fight each other don't bother. They only fight once before teaming up and it's not that cool. overall this movie was a waste of time and killed the fantasy of see Chan and Jet fight, just like Aliens vs Predator. Actually this movie makes AvP look like a great film. I know what you're thinking "Clinton that's not possable". Please trust me. If you haven't seen this movie don't. The only time you should see this movie is if you got too drunk and had to choose between this or Super Nanny. Even then it should be a hard choice. I give it:

30%

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Oh, never done a comment on a film using this kind of scheme, let's try out! :o

Personal Review of GODZILLA (1998)

Visual FX:
Godzilla is the first film portraying a Giant Monster using Computer Graphics Imagery. Despite this, it has one of the best examples of special effects ever in Cinematography History along with Jurassic Park, Men in Black, and other Movies., and adds a touch of realism never seen before in this genre. This considering that the effects are "shabby" comparing them to the original intent, making the movie in another format. At the last moment the Movie got the wrong format and this lowered the potential of the CGI. The Animatronics created by the master Patrick Tatopoulos are literally incredible and have really fluid movements.
Overall: 100%

Sound FX:
The crumble of the palaces, explosions, Godzilla's roar, its' babies roar... the Sound effects are very well done and give the movie a more powerful feel.
Overall: 100%

Storyline:
It's the tipical Monster Movie Plot: Giant Creature is born from Radiations, creature arrives to famous city, creature destroys city, and stuff. On this general basis is added a bit spice, and various homages from other movies (naming, the original Gojira, The Beast from 20.000 Fathoms, Alligator and Jaws), makes Godzilla a classic in a big budget version. Under the Mayor storyline the movie develops some other subplots very well, and sustains itself very well during its 140 minutes.
Overall: 70%

Acting: All the main cast is good, except maybe for Pitillo. Jean Reno is charismatic, Azaria is simply Legendary, and Broderick is... himself. Good interpetation from Kevin Dunn (yes, Sam's Father in Transformers)
Overall: 80%

Violence Factor:
There isn't really much blood in the movie. There are implied splatched people, crushed people and people eaten, but practically always in a far inquadrature or off-screen.
Overall: 12%

Overall Rating:
Godzilla is maybe the most underrated movie I have ever seen. It got me into the Monster Movie Genre and I still love it at this day. Along with King Kong and The Beast from 20.000 Fathoms you should go for this if you want to see an American Giant Monster. The Creature, designed by Patrick Tatopoulos, has a tremendously amazing design, and performes great destruction sequences, and despite the opinions of fans, it is really smart. Look at it when surprises the Helicopters from behind, or destroys the Submarine using its same weapon. One of the best of this genre, I highly recommend Godzilla for all Monster Movie, except for hardcore Gojira fans who will hate it almost certainly because of its difference with the original.

100%

Johnny Handsome

While watching some Jaws videos today on Youtube, i stumbled upon this movie, which i haven't seen in 15 years.

Storyline:
This movie came out in 1981 i think, and of course it was born out of the many Jaws rip off movies that came out around the same time.

Taken from IMDB:
Ramon the alligator is flushed down the toilet as a baby and grows into a gargantuan monster by eating the corpses of laboratory animals who have undergone dubious hormone experiments, thus providing all the ecological and social subtext that one could possibly wish for, even if one doesn't normally go for films about giant alligators eating people left, right, and centre is the inevitable and tragic result of Ramon's decision that the outside world looks rather more interesting than the sewers.

Visual FX:
There are no VFX in the movie, only a couple of miniature shots. Some are plain obvious, some are really well done. The Alligator puppet look rather good, especially for a low budget B movie, i was actually quite surprised how well the FX were done for this flick, especially the gore stuff.

Sound FX:
The sound design for this movie was OK, nothing spectacular though. The original sound FX were recorded in MONO, and as you would expect for a movie done in '81 they don't shake your surround system.

Direct comparison? The Terminator mono soundtrack.

Acting:
Overall the acting and dialogue are natural and don't seem over the top or cheap at all, like i originally expected it to be. Again, that was a pleasant surprise.

Violence Factor:

There is plenty of fun stuff in this movie. Dismembered arms and legs, dead animals and lots of blood. The violence seems just right and never over the top, but at the same time gives you what you would expect for an 'R' rated horror flick.

Overall Rating:
Under all the Jaws rip offs and bad animal horror flicks that came in droves at the time this a diamond. The flick is extremely well made, suspensefull, has well developed characters that can stand on their own feed and it simply never gets boring.

Under all the rip offs i think this movie never really got out, but if you love this kind of stuff as much as i highly do i recommend this one, and if you're a fan of well made horror movies, i remmoment this one as well.

Overall: 75%

Harkus

Transformers 2: f**king piece of shit, Michael bay needs to stop making retarded special effects and actually makes films

2/10

First Blood

First Blood

I watched this the other night, I figure I'll write a review if anyones interested in watching it.  :)

Storyline:
This is the 16th entry in the James Bond series. Timothy Dalton stars as 007. When his friend Felix Leiter is brutally tortured by a Colombian Drug dealer Franz Sanchez, (Robert Davi) Bond decides to go rogue and get revenge on Sanchez.

Visual FX: The thing I love about these movies, this one in general is that, before CG all the stunts were done in a practical manner. This film does that, with a wonderful Tanker truck chase on the winding mountains of Mexico.

Scene from the tanker chase

Sound: The film sounds great, everything from the famous Bond theme song to the explosions that take place.

Acting: Timothy Dalton was considered the closest to Ian Flemings James Bond, serious stone cold killer who had little room for humor. Robert Davi who plays Sanchez plays the villain in a sly manner, a man who demands respect. Talisa Soto who plays the Bond girl Lupe comes across as a little wooden.

Robert Davi as the villain Franz Sanchez

Violence Factor: This is when the series took on a more mature tone. Even before the Pierce Brosnan films, there is considerable more blood, such as people being eaten and mulled by sharks, and someones head exploding.

Overall Rating: I really liked License To Kill. Timothy Dalton's performance as Bond seems underrated or overshadowed by Brosnan and Craig. But LTK is worth checking out. It features a young Benicio Del Toro as Sanchez's henchman. I also liked it because it goes *outside* the Bond formula, with him going rogue, taking NO orders from MI6.

9/10

TJ Doc

QuoteViolence Factor: This is when the series took on a more mature tone. Even before the Pierce Brosnan films, there is considerable more blood, such as people being eaten and mulled by sharks, and someones head exploding.

Yeah, this and the large lack of gadgets is what really sets LTK apart from the other Bond films. I'm guessing you watched the uncut Ultimate Edition DVD? I was really taken aback by the gore the first time I saw the film in it's entirety.

First Blood

Yep. I actually liked that the film took on a more mature tone. It kinda moved away from the silliness of the Moore films. Director John Glen talks about how at the time, they wanted a story that was "pulled from the headlines" and at the time, the the drug wars and cartels were running rampet. The only gadget I recall was the camera that converted into a rifle and the explosive toothpaste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed