What is Royal Jelly?

Started by Extroheal, May 07, 2007, 09:57:03 AM

Author
What is Royal Jelly? (Read 13,896 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 23, 2011, 05:32:14 PM
You're welcome to that opinion. :)
Point is that Ridley Scott isn't actually the be-all end-all authority when it comes to the Alien franchise. :)
I know I am. And neither is any individual or collective viewer. I just go by the guy who made the film.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Yeah, but more than one person made the film. Movies are a collaborative effort.

Ridley Scott thinks Deckard is a replicant in Blade Runner, but everyone else related to it (including the scriptwriter, the author of the original short story, and the actor who played Deckard) thinks he's human. Who are you going to go with? All of them "made the film".

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 23, 2011, 07:09:34 PM
Yeah, but more than one person made the film. Movies are a collaborative effort.
And no one else contradicts Ridley, unlike your Blade Runner example.

QuoteRidley Scott thinks Deckard is a replicant in Blade Runner, but everyone else related to it (including the scriptwriter, the author of the original short story, and the actor who played Deckard) thinks he's human. Who are you going to go with? All of them "made the film".
Of course PK Dick thought Deckard was human - he never survived to view the whole film, which was drastically, oh so drastically different from the novel. D. being a replicant was discussed throughout the making, didn't make the cut, but made the final cut. You can take it or leave it, fun of the film. Alien? I go by Ridley. [Likewise, try and stitch most of the EU and the movies together, you'll find more disparity there than what goes on behind the scenes with BR]

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteAlien? I go by Ridley.
I find it a lot better to recognize the opinions of those who worked on the movie, and then make up your own mind. If you happen to agree with them, that's great. Blindly following them just because they said it? Not so great.

QuoteD. being a replicant was discussed throughout the making, didn't make the cut, but made the final cut.
That isn't entirely accurate. The movie is ambiguous about it, and the final cut is even more ambiguous than the earlier cuts. But the scriptwriter who wrote the movie said he wrote it with the intention of him being human, and Harrison Ford when filming the movie said he portrayed the character as if he was human, and even Ridley Scott in early interviews during the making of the movie said he felt he was human. Only much, much later did he change his mind and say "nope he's a replicant", which confused the hell out of Harrison Ford and pretty much everyone else involved in the movie. :P

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 23, 2011, 05:32:14 PM
You realize that nothing is stopping you from doing so, right?

Except that I'd have to consider all the other comics as well.  No thanks.
And before 'it's because you don't like the ideas!', no. It's because there's a load of inconsistencies.

SM

SM

QuoteThe movie is ambiguous about it, and the final cut is even more ambiguous than the earlier cuts.

Including the unicorn dream and coupling it with Gaff leaving the unicorn origami removes the ambiguity.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

QuoteExcept that I'd have to consider all the other comics as well.
No you don't. ???
That's what happens with personal canon, you get to pick and choose what you want to include. You're already doing it by picking and choosing to ignore (or include) all the comics or whatever, no matter how you try to rationalize it at the end of the day.

QuoteIncluding the unicorn dream and coupling it with Gaff leaving the unicorn origami removes the ambiguity.
It's still up for interpretation.

SM

SM

Any cut sans unicorn dream is open to interpretation.

With the unicorn dream the interpretations are "Deckard is a replicant" or "Wow, what an amazing coincidence!"

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Ultimately the point of the movie is "if he's a replicant, who cares?". Conceivably anyone in the movie could be a replicant, and ultimately it doesn't matter. What matters is that we can ask the question, not what the actual answer is.

And yes, it could very well have been a coincidence. Even after the final cut came out Harrison Ford still maintained that Deckard was a human, and that he'd played the role as if he were human, and that's how he interpreted the script.

SM

SM

How the film is ultimately cut together over-rides how any particular actor interpreted their part.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

That's one way to look at it, sure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed