Author
Pics of yourself (Read 2,399,120 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I call this one "The Thinker."

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Njm1983 on Oct 06, 2012, 03:17:05 AM
Thanks! My goal is lean muscle, But I want balance and proportion. Id like to hit 200lbs. Thats probably max for my body anyway. The biggest I got was 190 but my waist grew 2 inches at a 34" :o I didnt like that since it was too much body fat. Ive trimmed back to a leaner 175, got my 32" waist back, as you can see I still look bigger. Reality is 1 year of hard training and great nutrition should yield about 10lbs of muscle.

I started this season end of feb, after 8 month off from a back injury in 2011, related to stupid ass llfting technique. This year its about form, technique, proper weight and diet.

Haven't checked this thread in awhile. How tall are you? You look like you have a similar frame but I out weight you by about ten pounds. Just out of curiosity what kind of lifting are you doing?

Njm1983

Njm1983

Im 5'11". I dont have very built legs so naturally thats probably where the difference lies. Ive avoided doing them for years, as a result my upper half is more progressed than the lower half. Ive only in the last 2 years started working on them, but I limit myself due to a lower back issue. I have sciatica as a result of a car accident in 2009. So squats are completely out. Same goes for most power lifting routines like dead lifts etc, plus my gym doesnt cater to that type of lifting anyway.

Heres what my chest workout is like

Weighted dips
3 sets of eight

dumbell press
3 sets of 8-10

Incline dumbell press
3 sets of 8-10

Chicken press
3 sets of 8-10

Hip press
3 sets 8-10

Dumbell Flys
3 sets of 10

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Njm1983 on Oct 09, 2012, 09:42:44 PM
Im 5'11". I dont have very built legs so naturally thats probably where the difference lies. Ive avoided doing them for years, as a result my upper half is more progressed than the lower half. Ive only in the last 2 years started working on them, but I limit myself due to a lower back issue. I have sciatica as a result of a car accident in 2009. So squats are completely out. Same goes for most power lifting routines like dead lifts etc, plus my gym doesnt cater to that type of lifting anyway.

Strange, you're an inch taller than me.

Ah I see - I train more for strength myself. Squats, deadlifts, bench and overhead press are the staples of my routine. I take a hybrid approach with my main exercises being 5 rep range and sometimes pyramiding down and my other exercises being 6-8 rep range (typically). Sucks about your back, its miserable when you have any kind of mechanical problem. I hurt my shoulder years ago and re-tweeked it recently. I've elected to take a couple months off and its miserable.

Have you tried PT for your sciatica?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Novak 1334 on Oct 08, 2012, 11:56:20 PM

Serious face

Black metal fan? Just sayin' :P

Njm1983

Njm1983

Its not unusual for shorter guys to bulk up better. You dont have as far to move the weight.

Sucks about your shoulder, I had an impingement recently due to biciptal tendonitis in my left shoulder, took a month to heal, 3 days in a sling, icing 20 min every hour, absolutely no overhead use. Theres a reason I do all my presses on the ground because the added range of motion on a bench just puts the shoulder at risk.

I havent gotten an official diagnosis on the sciatica. But Im certain it is, My mom has it, and its the same shit for me as well. Ive learned all the stretches to help with it, its possible it could have to do directly with the vertabrae. But im finding leg presses and hamstring curls have helped a lot - its mostly my physical work that can lead to flare ups. Thees also some amazing core routines that help as well.

With a routine I usually find something I havent done that targets the body part Im training, Ill do that for a month or month and a half then change it up. Sometimes Ill through in a high volume high rep routine every so often. I really recommend this website:

www.scoobysworkshop.com

This guy is a 50 year old bodybuilder - he never uses a bench press and is a mostly vegetarian. Whats great is he gives all the right info so you can save money and improve. My last 6 month of success are from his information.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: Njm1983 on Oct 09, 2012, 10:09:17 PM
Its not unusual for shorter guys to bulk up better. You dont have as far to move the weight.

Sucks about your shoulder, I had an impingement recently due to biciptal tendonitis in my left shoulder, took a month to heal, 3 days in a sling, icing 20 min every hour, absolutely no overhead use. Theres a reason I do all my presses on the ground because the added range of motion on a bench just puts the shoulder at risk.

I havent gotten an official diagnosis on the sciatica. But Im certain it is, My mom has it, and its the same shit for me as well. Ive learned all the stretches to help with it, its possible it could have to do directly with the vertabrae. But im finding leg presses and hamstring curls have helped a lot - its mostly my physical work that can lead to flare ups. Thees also some amazing core routines that help as well.

With a routine I usually find something I havent done that targets the body part Im training, Ill do that for a month or month and a half then change it up. Sometimes Ill through in a high volume high rep routine every so often. I really recommend this website:

www.scoobysworkshop.com

This guy is a 50 year old bodybuilder - he never uses a bench press and is a mostly vegetarian. Whats great is he gives all the right info so you can save money and improve. My last 6 month of success are from his information.

Thats funny, I watch Scooby as well. I have no body building interest (My goals are strictly functional strength) mostly because I couldn't be bothered to aim for a ripped six pack at my age. But I do watch him because he knows his stuff. Yeah, I change mine up about every two months but keep my core moves for strength purposes. I looked at your pictures again because I was confused and noticed your back is actually much thicker than mine. My lats pretty much refuse to grow - mostly because of my shoulder I never do pull ups which is best for thickness and growth. If I even look at the pull up bar it (my shoulder) tells me to ef off.

Yeah, thats what has happened to my right shoulder. Shoulder impingement while my left shoulders rotator cuff is always a bit funny (old bjj injury, rotators never really completely heal). I'm trying to really make sure to let it rest a long time this time. I'm 36, not exactly old but I am no spring chicken and I started lifting when I was 34 - a late bloomer so I don't have the years of fortitude others would have. In particular with strength training and moving heavy weights.

I actually tried trying pressing moves from the ground for a bit but I just didn't get the results I did from bench work, in particular for my triceps. They are stubborn but really responds to heavy close grip bench. I suppose what your aims are dictate how you lift, naturally.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Bane of my existence. Being 6'2", it's a pain in the ass when I do squats or deadlifts. I have high muscle density as a result, but my legs don't really grow large because I'm tall.

Njm1983

Njm1983

Well Im sure you know you could do it if you cut the fat out of your diet. If all your looking for is functional strength more POWER to you - pardon the pun.

I was the opposite: Id bench like a mad man but my body just wouldnt respond, I found more and more like I was using every muscle to push the weight up and was missing the target area. 2 years ago in my home gym I was doing presses with dumbells and I noticed my chest responded. Then I found scooby a year later and more now than ever do I emphasize squeezing my chest muscles with each rep. Its amazing! But Im finding Im building a more "Cosmetic" physique and theres more emphasis on isolation moves. Rather than compound. Im still wanting increases in strength and finding im getting them, an example is my presses. when I started up in febuary I struggled with 35-45 pound dumbells, now Im using 70lbs. Im leg pressing 600lbs Ive seen good increases across the board so Im getting there, I just really dont want an injury, I get so depressed when it happens. Bodybuilding is that thing that defines me and makes me feel successful because nobody handed it to me.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 09, 2012, 10:38:03 PM

Bane of my existence. Being 6'2", it's a pain in the ass when I do squats or deadlifts. I have high muscle density as a result, but my legs don't really grow large because I'm tall.

HAHA you have Schwarzenegger syndrome! Hard ass work to move the weights

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

:P

I'll stay away from the 'roids, lol. The only part of my body that grows noticeably larger when I lift weights is my upper body, specifically, my strap muscles.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

I'll have a new one soon, very soon...  :)

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Quote from: Amaterasu on Oct 10, 2012, 12:00:47 AM

:D

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

Quote from: Rick Grimes on Oct 10, 2012, 12:09:55 AM
Quote from: Amaterasu on Oct 10, 2012, 12:00:47 AM

:D

Moms going to be paying the home internet bill tomorrow.  ;)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: KiramidHead on Oct 09, 2012, 01:58:12 AM
I call this one "The Thinker."

I prefer to think of it as "Mid-Punch from Below."

Vepariga

Vepariga

I wont post a photo of myself but I look alot like Leon RE4-Version. So picture that and you picture me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed