I'd say you see what you want to see.

Perv!  ;D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Sure.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Quote from: Puks on Mar 21, 2010, 04:07:05 PM
QuoteAnd what the hell is a "wrong opinion"?

Just a few..

Example 1: Creationist's opinion on evolution and the age of the universe.
Example 2: Conservative's opinion on cannabis.
Example 3: Neonazi's opinion on the Holocaust.
Example 4: DoomRulz's opinion on AvP.

ha haaaaaa!

DARIAS93

DARIAS93

Whoa! AVPR has more votes than AVP? That's just sad. Sure AVPR has a better Predator than the first, but come on, really? Jesus Christ...

War Wager

War Wager

but ist got kool gore n stuf! 

DARIAS93

DARIAS93

Quote from: War Wager on Mar 21, 2010, 06:53:20 PM
but ist got kool gore n stuf!
I'm no stranger to sarcasm, War...

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I recently saw AvP:R(ectum) again with my brother, and damn, is it a horrible film. Like, Plan 9 bad. We couldn't stop laughing, yet at the same time I was sad; sad for what had happened to these two iconic movie monsters. I shall now rant in a disorderly fashion about what I hated in this film.

First of all, the story. Well, not much I can say about it, as there wasn't really one. All I know for sure is that what little there was, was incredibly stupid and resulted in many an expression of merriment. Many things that seemed like they would be very important and interesting were just thrown in at random moments, without any hint earlier in the film that they were there. Seriously, why couldn't they have made the movie about the people in a standoff in the centre of town, or about the soldiers trying to retake it? That would have been infinitely better than the pizza-boy. Also, how, if trained soldiers with advanced equipment were taken out in about 2 minutes, did the populace with greatly inferior weapons manage to survive? As my brother pointed out, the entire thing seemed like it was written by a five year old, simply wanting to have a lot of "cool" things, whilst completely ignoring stuff such as coherent plot. I could write something better!

Now the editing. This was a real shit-fest. Scenes would suddenly end and you'd just appear in another one with entirely different characters. Every thing was very choppy and sporadic, going wildly from one locale to another without any transitions or logical flow. I can honestly say the story was worse in this than in Plan 9, as was the editing. Think about that for a bit. This movie had worse transitions and writing than what is often considered the worst film ever made. I shall now let that sink in.

Another thing that was terrible was the score; it was way too loud. In order for us to have the music at a bearable level, my brother and I had to turn the volume down so low that we could barely hear what the "characters" were saying. It was horribly done, and it just made us laugh some more at how bad this film was. The lighting was also way too dark, especially in the last third. We'd see something move, something else would fly through the air, and it would just leave us completely baffled at what just happened.

The characters weren't even at the level of one-dimensional. Seriously, there was nothing about them that distinguished them from each other, and there were way too many. The only one I could reliably tell apart was the sheriff, and that's because he was the only one that wasn't white! They spent way too much time developing too many characters, only to have most of them killed in a few minutes. Why not just develop a few, and have them last the entire movie?

Now for the creatures themselves; this was where they really screwed the pooch. My brother, who isn't a big fan of either series, was able to tell that they'd f**ked up big time. They gave us a severely incompetent Predator, fighting fodderized Aliens. This film was awful, terrible, and completely removed every element that made the other films in the series unique and compelling.

/rant

JediMasterGabe

JediMasterGabe

Quote from: Death Machine on Mar 21, 2010, 06:45:40 PM
Whoa! AVPR has more votes than AVP? That's just sad. Sure AVPR has a better Predator than the first, but come on, really? Jesus Christ...

I know it's sad..........

@SpaceMarines: I agree, I was just thinking what a shame it is that our beloved creatures have been reduced to some crappy monster mash-up instead of what should be an epic horror/action movie.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I know. I didn't even mention everything that pissed me off about the film, and look how long that post was!

SM

SM

QuoteFirst of all, the story. Well, not much I can say about it, as there wasn't really one.

I've watched most of the first hour or so.  As I said on another thread, it was a web stream in Hindi, so I won't comment on the dialogue.  The reason I stopped watching was because it was so dark that I often couldn't tell what was happening. and it was giving me a headache.

However - there was a story in there.  Predator tries to clean up an Alien infestation.  The problem I could see without the benefit of dialogue is that there's too many characters.  The Sheriff, Dallas, Ricky, Reiko Aylesworth and Newt, the blond chick, the bully and his cohorts.  If Dallas and Reiko are supposed to be the leads, then we need to spend the vast bulk of the first hour with them.  Instead we jump all over the place and end up not particularly caring when they end up together.

And though I haven't see the rest, I can guess that they're going to spend the rest of the film running away.  Which was a major problem with AvP (and you could even go so far as to level the same accusation at Resurrection, though to a much lesser extent).  The humans in an AvP flick need to be more involved.  The Predator kills the humans who were supposed to care about so he's not the protagonist.  It's not the Aliens - so it needs to be the humans.  And yet in both AvPs they're so dull and uninteresting.  And they don't do anything except run away.

In the Alien flicks (and Predator flicks come to think of it) there was at least some effort to fight back - be it trying to force an Alien out an airlock, blow up the ship, drown it in hot lead, whatever.  And when we do get the 'running away' in Aliens it's a running battle against the Aliens AND time that goes for the better part of 40 minutes.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Exactly. It's just terrible; they do nothing to try and make you care about the characters.

SM

SM

Thing is, there was the seed of an interesting idea with the relationship between Reiko and daughter, which should've been exploited early and often.  Though of course this would be tricky because you have the obvious Ripley/ Newt comparisons, where Newt is initially 'hostile' to Ripley.

However, like the potentially interesting dynamic with Miller and Verheiden, it never goes beyond a vague idea (at least as far as I could tell - see caveats above).

SiL

SiL

The plot flows better after the second or third viewing.

Good luck getting to that many.

But that's one of the many many (etc.) problems with the film; the Bros were editing the film with the mindset of having seen it fifty billion times, at which point it doesn't seem rushed. They basically edited it for your third viewing, not your first, which is one of those really annoying things you have to be careful of when editing.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Editing was a huge problem that affected the Unrated Cut. Why the hell would they put the conversation b/w Jesse and Ricky in front of the pizza place in between shots of Wolf in the sewer? Yech.

SiL

SiL

That never bothered me for some reason. I don't remember how the theatrical cut did it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed