AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 692,023 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

How so? The films aren't connected.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Before Prometheus, the AVP films were, for all intents and purposes, Alien prequels. I know, simply because of the quality of the films, a lot of people didn't view them that way (I didn't, but that's besides the point).

But what I was getting at was not so much chronology, but moreso portrayal of the creatures (in AVPR). If AVPR was a demonstration of what would happen should Aliens ever get on Earth, I'd say the characters in the Alien films overreacted a bit in their attempts to keep them off the planet (and in AVP, the same can be applied for the Preds who tried to keep them from reaching the surface). I would expect that, if Aliens were to infest Earth, we would have a scenario like the one the marines stumbled upon in Aliens, although on a much larger scale. We never really saw that in AVPR.

Vecrotus

Vecrotus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 20, 2012, 04:36:04 PM
Before Prometheus, the AVP films were, for all intents and purposes, Alien prequels. I know, simply because of the quality of the films, a lot of people didn't view them that way (I didn't, but that's besides the point).

But what I was getting at was not so much chronology, but moreso portrayal of the creatures (in AVPR). If AVPR was a demonstration of what would happen should Aliens ever get on Earth, I'd say the characters in the Alien films overreacted a bit in their attempts to keep them off the planet (and in AVP, the same can be applied for the Preds who tried to keep them from reaching the surface). I would expect that, if Aliens were to infest Earth, we would have a scenario like the one the marines stumbled upon in Aliens, although on a much larger scale. We never really saw that in AVPR.

I agree that what the aliens are capable of doing if they ever reached earth was never explored or shown to its true potential in AvPR. For the most, the town in AvPR didn't even feel like it had been infested with aliens. It never felt like that the aliens had taken over the town because it was only shown in bits and most of it was just the aftermath.

Engineer

Engineer

I vote neither... They both sucked.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vecrotus on Aug 20, 2012, 06:07:52 PM
I agree that what the aliens are capable of doing if they ever reached earth was never explored or shown to its true potential in AvPR. For the most, the town in AvPR didn't even feel like it had been infested with aliens. It never felt like that the aliens had taken over the town because it was only shown in bits and most of it was just the aftermath.

I think that's due to Wolf managing to get some small foothold on the Alien infestation but also because the town itself seemed pretty well isolated from any major city.

SM

SM

Considering Buddy, Sam and the two bums got hugged and burstered.  And if four Aliens came out of the woman bum, that gives us a total of 8 Aliens.  By the time they leave the sports store five are dead.  Wolf sees three (very noisily) head into the hospital.  10 more are killed in the hospital or the roof.

Doesn't leave many Aliens for the townspeople to shoot in the centre of town.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Plot holes granted, they likely were coming from people we hadn't seen on-screen.

SiL

SiL

Chet got incredibly busy in a couple of minutes to make enough Aliens to start screwing the town over.

SM

SM

Got me timings mixed up.  I thought the preggo bursters in the hospital happened after the army guy told Morales to be in the town square in 30 minutes.  If you add in 4 bursters from the chick in the diner, plus another 12 from the mat ward, there's an extra 16.  Plus original 8, theres 24, then take away 15 killed.  Doesn't exactly scream "infestation" to be honest...

SiL

SiL

I'm pretty sure the national guard shoot more Aliens than logically could've been left from the sewer, let alone the ones that actually kill them. The whole timing of the thing doesn't make sense. It's like Aliens just magic themselves into existence once Chet walks out of the sewer.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

I may be misreading, but is anyone counting the waitress? Not sure if we are counting the deleted scenes here, but she was preggers and she also got Preg-bursted.

SM

SM

Yeah I factored four bursters from her.

We're given the impression that the Aliens are all over the hospital AND centre of town, but considering the lack of huggers and on screen deaths, ehh, not really.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I've only seen the film once and don't remember many of the details, but could they have potentially come from the women in the hospital? Or was there not enough time between the bursting/the Alien 'infestation' (if you can even call it that)?

SiL

SiL

The hospital is towards the end of the movie, after the town gets screwed over.

I mean, there's a flipped over, burning car within an hour or so of the Aliens leaving the sewer. Why?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Maybe Predator guns are just naturally attracted to mechanical objects? Would explain why the ones at the beginning tool the whole ship down. ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed