Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 692,290 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

One scene that really bugs me from AvPR in the unrated version is Molly and Kelly in the graveyard. It was a complete throwaway that added nothing. The impression given at the end of it too, with Wolf standing up slowly in the tree as he watches them flee, seemed to create the impression that he was thinking, "They're here" or "They saw me"...something to that effect. Of course, it went nowhere.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jan 02, 2015, 03:07:58 PM
One scene that really bugs me from AvPR in the unrated version is Molly and Kelly in the graveyard. It was a complete throwaway that added nothing. The impression given at the end of it too, with Wolf standing up slowly in the tree as he watches them flee, seemed to create the impression that he was thinking, "They're here" or "They saw me"...something to that effect. Of course, it went nowhere.
I guess that's why they cut it. Personally I liked it. Yeah it was pointless but at least we get to see another head blown off. In a stupid, popcorn horror movie like this a bit more gore never hurts. It also showed that Wolf wasn't just killing indiscriminately when he gave Kelly a warning then let them go.

I enjoy both movies. AVP has better production design and characters, but AVP-R had better action and creatures. It seemed like everyone hated the setting in AVP-R, but I thought it was pretty cool. Colorado is a neighboring state to me so it was interesting to see Aliens and a Predator invade a small mountain town similar to where I grew up, also reminded me of those old small town America invasion movies like "The Blob." And yeah, I'll admit it, AVP-R is too damn dark, especially when compared to the good lighting of the first trailer. I'm not sure why they overdid that during post, adjusting the TV settings and watching it on Blu-ray helps but still, way too dark.

Both films have more than a few problems, but they were fun rides and made contributions to the franchise I think. Everyone wants the AVP set in the future from the comics and games, and I'm sure we'll get that eventually, but I'm glad they did these two first.

Quote from: tmoldovan on Jan 02, 2015, 04:27:31 AM
Yet still more sensible than Prometheus.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

This is mostly directed at RidgeTop and Russ but I also want to get this out for myself. I normally don't voice my opinion on the AvP films because a few years back I was teased for my preference about the two films to where I felt a sense of resentment towards the community and felt as if I couldn't really voice out my opinions on the films. But I definitely liked Alien vs Predator, and I liked Alien vs Predator: Requiem. And I still happen to do so very much and like RidgeTop, I felt that they were fun films and made contributions to the franchises as well, but I also acknowledge that the films have their problems. All films do.

I liked the AvP films because they had took concepts from the expanded universe and solidified these elements into canon. I liked the idea that Aliens and Predators occupied the same universe other than in just comics and toys. I liked the idea that Predators harvested Aliens and used them as game for an initiation rite which was introduced from the comics. But the movies had a different angle on that idea which I thought was cool, such as Predators being worshiped as gods and at one point having a mutual relationship with humans to where pyramids were built. I liked the Ancient Alien thing it had going on.

As for AvP-R.. I have said that the movie is a genuinely mean spirited film but it just appeals to the Predator fanboy in me. It had the better action, kept the creatures in behavior as far as Aliens and Predators are concerned when interacting with humans (Do you honestly expect a Xenomorph to spare a kid's life?). There are a lot of problems with AvP-R but I can't help but just like it.. Yes, it is a mean spirited movie. Yes it is imbalanced as far as Alien vs Predator action is concerned but I just like the movie. I sometimes get the feeling that people want me to hate something I genuinely like.. And it bothers me that when I say I liked both movies, people get on my back about it and make fun.

I would love to see a continuation of the AvP storyline that doesn't count PREDATORS or Prometheus. But I am very pessimistic to the point where we just won't get that. I'd love for Fox to simply come out and officially say that the franchises happen to have AU's but I'm guessing what is canon and not is meant to be open for debate and interpretation.

So RidgeTop.. Russ.. Allow me to join in that Robot Jox fist bump!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3W2UMCnqDw

Russ

Russ

@Rakai

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Damn, I guess I'm not the only one who liked AVPR after all. So, it has 4 fans. Myself, Ridgetop, Rakai, and Doom.  :laugh:

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The Shuriken on Jan 03, 2015, 08:52:48 AM
Damn, I guess I'm not the only one who liked AVPR after all. So, it has 4 fans. Myself, Ridgetop, Rakai, and Doom.  :laugh:

I'm sure there are more but like us, they are in the minority and I'm sure they are not here in this forum.

Russ

Russ

I have to see it again, its been ages, I want to get the blu-ray, I've read on here that its much better in terms of light and dark; I don't hate the movie like some, but it was mean-spirited and (from what I remember) in bad taste. Let me rewatch and maybe revise.

Son Of Kane

Son Of Kane

Both of the AVP films make me physically sick.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Combo breaker.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The Shuriken on Jan 03, 2015, 06:25:43 PM
Combo breaker.

I read that in the KI Announcer's voice. Heh!

SiL

SiL

I always thought AvP:R was too infantile to be mean-spirited. It felt more like a couple of ten year olds thinking up the coolest shock things for a horror film than anything.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SiL on Jan 03, 2015, 11:29:03 PM
I always thought AvP:R was too infantile to be mean-spirited. It felt more like a couple of ten year olds thinking up the coolest shock things for a horror film than anything.

I can see the flaws with the movie. There was a lot of imbalancing between the two species, clear favoritism and a lot of other things. As much as I enjoy some ultraviolence and as much as the movie appeals to the Predator fanboy in me, I can do without Requiem. I'd keep the first and do fine without the sequel.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

One thing I definitely give AVPR over AVP is the sound department. Specifically in regards to the Predator blade sound and general grunts and growls. In AVP most of the blades sound very generic, the type of sound effect you hear all the time. Same goes with the growls. In AVPR most sounds are unique and different from the rest.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Jan 03, 2015, 11:29:03 PM

Absolutely best way I've seen that film described! I think it's an immensely immature film that amounts to nothing better than a slightly good looking (when it's not dark) fanfilm.

But to each their own. I love all the Starship Trooper films even though I know they're naff.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Said it before and I'll say it again: at least AvPR keeps me awake, unlike AvP.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed