Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 692,276 times)

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Not too late to reply here is it?

Generally speaking, I enjoyed both movies, mainly the for creatures. I have a preference for AVPR though, the gore, Wolf and Predalien were all pretty cool to me. I think AVP had a more interesting story and characters, and AVPR had the cooler creatures.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Hm, there's something you don't hear everyday. I feel like having an AvP marathon, just because.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 29, 2014, 01:07:25 PM
Hm, there's something you don't hear everyday. I feel like having an AvP marathon, just because.

Oh you'll come to find out I am in fact the only true fan AVPR has in the entire multiverse. I like it, genuinely. I acknowledge all the fauts, but I end up liking it. Just like Superman IV. Predalien's design, the young queen reproduction cycle, the works. I enjoyed it all, somehow... :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Nope, I liked it as well ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

...slowly backs away... :P

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'll happily choose it over Alien: Res any day of the week :)

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

After seeing AVP again last night, I will admit that making Scar look heroic with his face was definitely not a good touch. His eyes are just...ugh. You don't design a creature with a face like that and give it such disarming eyes. A Predator acting heroic is fine, but looking heroic? Nah. The 2.0 Hot Toys Scar is what he really should have looked like.

Russ

Russ

That was a conscious choice, though. They definitely set out to differentiate the preds from the solo franchise... I don't know, I think they looked kind of cool. I know that sort of view is liable to get me a kicking, though.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: Russ on Dec 31, 2014, 09:43:21 AMI don't know, I think they looked kind of cool

You like lumbering predators with puppy dog eyes?

Russ

Russ

No, but I don't think the predators look like that in the movie. I liked the way they moved to be fair - as we pointed out earlier, this is a comic-book movie and I think Anderson pretty much captured that though, (as also said earlier) this probably wasn't the movie he thought he was going to make.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And as this film shows, along with some comic book movies have shown as well, what's workable in a comic book isn't necessarily going to be workable in a movie.

Russ

Russ

I don't agree. I think AvP delivers pretty well on all fronts. Indeed all of the films in the franchise have some redeeming features - I really, really hate A:R, but no one can deny that it has some merits.

Ultimately, I think pulling the blanket "I hate" card is doing the franchise(s) a disservice. But clearly, it makes some fans feel happy which I've never really understood. The truth of it is that all of the movies have their fan-base and these people are not wrong in their assessment. That others don't agree is their problem, I think. It's unlikely I'll gain a greater appreciation of A:R as time goes by and I'll state why I don't like it, but that doesn't, shouldn't and ultimately won't detract from the enjoyment an advocate of the movie has when he or she watches it.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

A:Res has nice visuals and certainly is a pretty film to look at. The set pieces are fantastic. I just find the story stupid and the Newborn is one of the worst ideas in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: Russ on Dec 31, 2014, 09:43:21 AM
That was a conscious choice, though. They definitely set out to differentiate the preds from the solo franchise... I don't know, I think they looked kind of cool. I know that sort of view is liable to get me a kicking, though.

All things considered though, don't you think this just looks better?

tmoldovan

tmoldovan

I used to really like AVPR, but after watching it again last night, (after seeing all other Alien and predator movies) it really comes in weakest of the bunch. (Yet still more sensible than Prometheus.) AVPR has great fan service, creature designs, (and even predator home world?) but lighting, and pacing are all screwed up. Definitely had a lot of the comic book "suddenly" moments.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed