Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 691,613 times)

lozzy.94

lozzy.94

I like AVP:R better simply because i liked the fast pace plot, AVP was just rubbish.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Quote from: SM on Apr 16, 2011, 07:41:59 AM
Not seeing a connection.

Weyland didn't force anyone to go with him, and just because being kinda emotionless or focusing only on his task (together with kinda everyone on the expedition) and interest, he is not ruthless. And btw he sacrificed himself for Sebastian and Lex. Also I'd say he was pretty much right, the whole find was worth the risk, and even knowing I can die I would have gone with him.

SM

SM

Err, yes.  I know.  I said as much previously.

QuoteHe is (ruthless (mostly) that is, bit of a difference from vicious) until he has that little talk with Lex about her father, which is the only moment of any decent character development in the whole flick.  Before that he may as well have been going "Velcome to my lair, bwahahaha!"

He comes across as ruthless early, but shows he's slightly more than one dimensional when he talks to Lex.  Miller does the same with Verheiden later on.  Every other bugger is a boring cardboard cutout though.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm still not seeing it. Just because he gathers everyone for a meeting and he happens to be standing 40 feet above them makes him ruthless?

SM

SM

No, jeopardising everyone's safety by hiring a cold weather expert then ignoring her advice, then ignoring the same advice from two other guys, and hiring a rookie instead, marks him as ruthless.

Ghostface

Ghostface

^Or reckless

SM

SM

Or both.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Apr 17, 2011, 11:55:43 PM
No, jeopardising everyone's safety by hiring a cold weather expert then ignoring her advice, then ignoring the same advice from two other guys, and hiring a rookie instead, marks him as ruthless.

Ruthless sounds to me like the wrong word to use. It's heavy. Reckless does sound better.

SM

SM

He didn't think he was being reckless.  He has a succeed at all costs mentality.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

He may not have thought it, but he was.

SM

SM

To an outside observer who is well aware that he's walking into a situation where he'll be surrounded by Aliens and Predators duking it out.  Yeah he'd seem pretty reckless.

Lex's job was to get them from the Piper Maru to the whaling camp, and then back again.  Which was a freaking doddle, since she sat in the Hagglunds with everyone else.

Though why the Maru didn't anchor in a natural harbour like where the whaling camp would've been, seems kinda dumb.

happypred

happypred

lol, I think both movies had shit character development

AvP had a better setting, no doubt about that
no one wanted to see aliens and predators in small town USA. I still remember when I first heard the rumours about AvP-R being set in a small present day town, I thought it was a bad joke

my guess is that most alien fans like AvP and most predator fans like AvP-R. Both movies sucked, but AvP-R was more entertaining as a popcorn action flick whereas AvP had a better setting.

Nikkolas

Nikkolas

AVP:R had crappy character development because the movie wasn't about the characters. They had to be there because you can't just make a film about two monsters fighting.

I mean, none of the Godzilla films I've seen have had Big G just battling other Kaiju. There's always some dopey Japanese people running around.

I enjoyed AVP:R. It's a big step down from Alien and Aliens of course but then again, the franchise fell down a flight of stairs with 33 and broke every bone in its body with Resurrection. So a step down isn't that bad.

Divpax

Divpax

Quote from: Nikkolas on May 30, 2011, 09:51:37 AM
AVP:R had crappy character development because the movie wasn't about the characters. They had to be there because you can't just make a film about two monsters fighting.

I mean, none of the Godzilla films I've seen have had Big G just battling other Kaiju. There's always some dopey Japanese people running around.

I enjoyed AVP:R. It's a big step down from Alien and Aliens of course but then again, the franchise fell down a flight of stairs with 33 and broke every bone in its body with Resurrection. So a step down isn't that bad.

If Alien 3 was the franchise falling down a flight of stairs then AVP-R was the franchise jumping into a river and drowning. Alien movies were always about characters until the abomination that was Requiem. As bad as most of the characters in the first AVP were you at least felt the film makers were attempting to develop them. In Rectum, the characters were made to die, like a Friday the 13th style B movie.

And that's what's wrong with Requiem, it was a B movie.

Nikkolas

Nikkolas

A zero is better than a negative number.
Trying and failing to make a compelling story is worse than anything esee you could do.

After AVP came out a sycophantic complaint of many was that it was too much emphasis on the human element. And given the fact the movie was called, ya know, Alien vs. Predator, that complaint is fully justified.  The brothers thus gave us a film where a Predaor fought some Aliens.

I was satisfied but maybe my standards were lowered after the first AVP.

And if you think Resurrection was a better film because of its amazing focus on the characters and their plot...well, to each their own. But I can't fatom saying Resurrection is better than anything in any category.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed