Started by xenomorph36, Dec 26, 2007, 04:38:16 PM

Which AvP movie do you like better?

AvP
AvPR
Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 691,611 times)

SM

SM

Yeah.  But I'd stop at "looks expensive".  Which it did.  Every other aspect was somewhere between meh and stupid.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I think it also had a very good concept for a story of an expedition of people going to such remote and hostile place like Antarctica, and there being trapped underground in a pyramid with aliens and a queen. I like that. AND as I often say, it had an admirable attempt at buildup and didnt show a thing until 40m minutes into the movie if not more

SM

SM

The idea of putting it somewhere out of the way was a good one.  But like nearly everything the execution was lacking.

And the build up with boring characters and no tension is a waste of time.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

AVP was the worst adaptation of At The Mountains of Madness readily concievable, and I'll leave it at that.

SM

SM

At The Little Island (That's Supposedly Near Antarctica But Not Really) Of Mild Annoyance.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2011, 05:05:35 AM
The idea of putting it somewhere out of the way was a good one.  But like nearly everything the execution was lacking.

And the build up with boring characters and no tension is a waste of time.

Thats why I said admirable attempt. Overall I had fun watching it in theaters and I was into it untill a certain point of the movie. I think the first AVP is passable, but it changes into cartoon once Grid and Celtic start to fight, but before that it had its moments and as I said, I dig the whole expedition to Antarctica concept, then theres Lance and stuff from the first AVP comic which I really like and it follows a formula of the first 2 alien movies - long buildup, the setting turns into dust by the end, double ending

SM

SM

Problem is it barely qualfies as an attempt.

Anderson just said 'Alright, nothing really happens in Alien and Aliens until at least the 45 minute mark, so that's what I'll do'.  Problem was he neglected what was actually going on in Alien and Aliens before they kick into gear.  Relationships are established and tension and mystery are created.  In AvP, we find out Weyland is a (mostly) ruthless rich dude, Lex is an OH&S nazi, Exposition Boy is Exposition Boy, Miller is a socially retarded dweeb, and the drillers are obnoxious bullies.  Everything they say to each other has little or no consequence, and the constant cutaways to the Alien Queen and Predators remove any sort of mystery and tension.

It not miles away from JPJ studying the cutting in Hollywood action films when preparing for Resurrection instead of saying "Maybe theres a bit too much yacking and not enough Aliens in some of these scenes".

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2011, 06:01:26 AM

Anderson just said 'Alright, nothing really happens in Alien and Aliens until at least the 45 minute mark, so that's what I'll do'.  Problem was he neglected what was actually going on in Alien and Aliens before they kick into gear.  Relationships are established and tension and mystery are created.  In AvP, we find out Weyland is a (mostly) ruthless rich dude, Lex is an OH&S nazi, Exposition Boy is Exposition Boy, Miller is a socially retarded dweeb, and the drillers are obnoxious bullies.  Everything they say to each other has little or no consequence, and the constant cutaways to the Alien Queen and Predators remove any sort of mystery and tension.

It not miles away from JPJ studying the cutting in Hollywood action films when preparing for Resurrection instead of saying "Maybe theres a bit too much yacking and not enough Aliens in some of these scenes".

:D

Why would you label Weyland as ruthless? He wasn't a vicious person.

Valaquen

Valaquen

What an excellent analysis. Great points, always felt it; never been able to express it.

SM

SM

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 13, 2011, 08:55:14 PM

He is (ruthless (mostly) that is, bit of a difference from vicious) until he has that little talk with Lex about her father, which is the only moment of any decent character development in the whole flick.  Before that he may as well have been going "Velcome to my lair, bwahahaha!"

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Nah, I never got any feeling of benevolence from Weyland

SM

SM

Eh?  He sacrificed himself to buy Lex and Sebastian time.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Apr 16, 2011, 04:18:41 AM
Eh?  He sacrificed himself to buy Lex and Sebastian time.

Dang it, I meant malevolence!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Apr 13, 2011, 09:43:35 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 13, 2011, 08:55:14 PM

He is (ruthless (mostly) that is, bit of a difference from vicious) until he has that little talk with Lex about her father, which is the only moment of any decent character development in the whole flick.  Before that he may as well have been going "Velcome to my lair, bwahahaha!"

Not like he was forcing anyone to be there.

SM

SM

Not seeing a connection.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed