Dan O'Bannon Doesn't like AvP...

Started by geestewart, Dec 20, 2007, 11:53:55 AM

Author
Dan O'Bannon Doesn't like AvP... (Read 8,187 times)

geestewart

geestewart

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/7576/the_den_of_geek_interview_dan_obannon.html

Least his ideas for AvP never happened.
One of the most ludicrous things I have ever heard.

Corporal Hicks

Did you even see the first Alien Vs. Predator film?

Yeah, sure, I saw it.

What did you think of it?

Videogame. I did have an idea that they didn't use, and that was that the alien in his next phase turns into the predator. But they weren't interested in hearing from me...at least it would have had some continuity between the two ideas.

Not the first time we've heard about this idea. But thank God it never happened. That's stupider than some of the fanboyish stuff we've got now. But I never realized just how bitter the man was regarding the whole thing.

Porkus Maximus

I always did find the idea that the Alien would become a higher form of life interesting... but I don't see how the Predator fits that description.  From what I remember the Alien was eventually supposed to transform into a more civilised, less bloodthirsty creature.  Predators are still pretty bloodthirsty if you ask me.

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2007, 12:11:07 PM

Not the first time we've heard about this idea. But thank God it never happened. That's stupider than some of the fanboyish stuff we've got now. But I never realized just how bitter the man was regarding the whole thing.

His interviews on the Quadrilogy showed his bitterness quite clearly to me... He complained the Brandywine guys were trying to ge the credit for the script... I though he was just being paranoid at the time I saw it...Of course, later on, Vincent Ward's debacle proved he was right in his paranoia... ::)

EDIT: Fixed your post for you. *Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Dec 20, 2007, 12:34:35 PM
I always did find the idea that the Alien would become a higher form of life interesting... but I don't see how the Predator fits that description.  From what I remember the Alien was eventually supposed to transform into a more civilised, less bloodthirsty creature.  Predators are still pretty bloodthirsty if you ask me.

Was that the general gist of the first draft? I can't remember if it was a race that worshiped the Aliens or the race that the Aliens became?

Mr. Weyland

I can understand some of his bitterness, But the closest thing to the aliens turning in to the predators is the predalien, WHICH I AM STILL WAITING FOR  >:(

WisePredator

Quote from: Mr. Weyland on Dec 20, 2007, 12:49:46 PM
I can understand some of his bitterness, But the closest thing to the aliens turning in to the predators is the predalien, WHICH I AM STILL WAITING FOR  >:(
The current PredAlien we have resembles snot I blew on my tissue.

Xenomorphine

As I wrote earlier, I don't think the two creatures feel like even vaguely linked, biologically, but as all we have are hints at what the basic idea is, I would have to hear the whole concept before just dismissing it, out of hand.

If someone told us that the Alien changed from chestburster ointo the thing we have come to know, a lot of people would have probably thought that was illogical, too, but it worked by being placed in the right context. :)

As for bitterness, no. The guy was invited by the questioner to explain what went on and he evidently had no problems with revealing it. That interview goes a long way to showing they are someone who managed to weather a lot of what Hollywood threw at them, in general, for several decades and survive.

Very intriguing.

War Wager

I couldn't help but agree with the guy about how silly the movies have been getting. But saying that he doesn't seem like a very nice person. Very bitter and arrogent.

Mr. Weyland

Quote from: War Wager on Dec 20, 2007, 03:44:58 PM
I couldn't help but agree with the guy about how silly the movies have been getting. But saying that he doesn't seem like a very nice person. Very bitter and arrogent.

I would be if you came up with an idea and script for a movie, only to have the producers change nearly all of it and continually destroy its reputation through each movie, other than that, he's probably an ok guy, just don't mention anything about those producers.  :P 

But his alien turning into a predator is beyond strange, imagine if it actually happened in AVP 1.

Corporal Hicks

Have you read the original Starbeast? It's not actually that good.

mostlycome@nite

Rips me that people like this are even paid to arite movies....

minus Alien

The dude wrote zombie movies.....with zombies running, cracking jokes and having conversations.

Not that I am totally against them running, but talking.....and stupid puns.....c'mon. He helped take the great genre and make it laffable....Romero made it a terrifying experience, and this dude made it "Mork and friggin Mindy".......and the Alien/predator evolution.....good idea, can't imagian why they did'nt use it.....really tho.....I've read FAR better ideas on this board.....You all should be getting paid!

Darkness

Darkness

lol, an alien turns in to a Predator. No wonder Fox weren't interested.

Didn't realise the guy felt this way about the other writers/producers.

That Yellow Alien

Dan O'Bannon is worse than Anderson.

Mr. Weyland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2007, 06:39:11 PM
Have you read the original Starbeast? It's not actually that good.

Yeah, it was crap, plus there was no android, but they did have the great idea that the alien gets on the Nostromo with the facehugger and chestburster, the bit that got the producers interested in making the movie, if it wasn't for that idea, we might not have any alien films or AVP at all.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed