Give Paul Anderson a break!

Started by War Wager, Apr 01, 2007, 01:18:22 AM

Author
Give Paul Anderson a break! (Read 24,413 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: RIJOENPIAL on Apr 23, 2007, 04:36:51 PM
So why wasn't he credited then...? If he co-wrote it, where is his name on the IMDB page, for instance...? Or someplace for that matter...?

Fox and Paul Anderson lobbied for him to get his name included in the credits, but the Writer's Guild of America was adament and refused to relent, even though Salerno wrote for months on the damn thing, even through the production itself.

His work was extensive, definitely worth the credit.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm still unsure about the story credit for O'Bannon and Shusset. I mean, Anderson reportedly just c&ped pages from the original draft...and well...no, no he didn't. Aside from the pyramid, there aren't any similarities...well other than the Alien of course. lol

SiL

SiL

The pyramid, and Lex talking to Sebastian when she finds him cocooned. Very similar to Ripley's conversation with Dallas in the deleted cocoon sequence.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh, and the worshipping aliens thing - but the aliens were in fact Predators. But still? C&ped pages my ass.

SM

SM

The concept was copied and pasted.  That's enough for the WGA.

And sod Salerno - where was Randy Stradley's credit?

Its Game Time

Its Game Time

Normally i would give paul anderson a break but i heard he intended AvP to be PG-13. Anyone who is in their right mind would make AvP R rated. Paul anderson didnt. Therefore he is OUT OF HIS MIND!!!! >:(

aliensetta

aliensetta

Its been three years can you guys be pissed off by someone other than Paul Anderson!

War Wager

War Wager

Quote from: aliensetta on Apr 29, 2007, 06:14:00 PM
Its been three years can you guys be pissed off by someone other than Paul Anderson!

Well said  ;)

Its Game Time

Its Game Time

Look, i have forgiven him somewhat, but look at it this way. HE F**KED UP AVP. He intended, INTENDED to make it PG-13. Therefore he INTENDED to piss us off and dissapoint us and he did a damn good job at it.

War Wager

War Wager

It wasn't just him, Fox also insisted it being a PG-13 as they thought it would increase the fanbase. But it's not like it needs more fans, thousends of people are fans of the original movies anyway...  :-\

SM

SM

But based on the law of diminishing returns, it made fiscal sense to make AvP PG.

Doesn't mean artistically it wasn't utterly moronic.  Anderson signed onto it - he got the writing and directing credits - the final result if predominantly his fault.

Its Game Time

Its Game Time

Quote from: Clone#8 on Apr 29, 2007, 09:26:01 PM
It wasn't just him, Fox also insisted it being a PG-13 as they thought it would increase the fanbase. But it's not like it needs more fans, thousends of people are fans of the original movies anyway...  :-\

Yeah, But HE Intended it to be PG-13. All the fans wanted a Rated R movie and he knew that. The only good job he did on this movie was DISAPOINT US. I understand he was under alot of pressure. He was stepping in a franchise with directors like, Ridley Scott and James Cameron but he knew better. He made it a crappy PG-13. I dont even see why it was PG-13. It Might as well have been PG.

Aliendrone

Aliendrone

Even though i like avp, i admit that when i heard it was pg-13, i was like "Are you f****** serious. Alien/ Predator films are R, not pg-13,"

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'll be honest. I wasn't fussed. It only meant to weren't getting any human blood. I wanted some Alien and Predator action, and since that counts as creature gore, I wasn't fussed.

SM

SM

Gore isn't a an absolute necessity.  The pull back from an off screen Miller in the hive shooting at huggers was one of the more artistic shots in AvP.  However things bloodily bursting out of people's chests, heads getting chomped, skinned (skun?) people, spines and skulls getting ripped out are all staples of Alien and Predator.

The lack of screen time for Rousseau's burster was laughable and Sebastian's burster went way beyond an insult.  It was "Hey!  I've got an idea!  Let's dump a great steaming turd on one of the most iconic moments in cinema history!  Yeah!!  High fives all round!!"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed