Alien 3 - Love it or Hate It

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 04:40:34 PM

Author
Alien 3 - Love it or Hate It (Read 63,325 times)

Fitzley

Fitzley

I love Alien3. Its too bad that Fincher was not able to deliver his complete vision, a lot going on in that movie and a lot of potential if it wasn't for the production problems.

wilou

wilou

It is a good movie. The atmosphere is so dark. Unlike Aliens, the prisoners have no weapons and get rid of an alien in these conditions is very hard.Moreover The film introduces a new kind of alien, faster, stronger, who don't cares about fire.

SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

I think Alien3 is between average and good, but it doesn't really spark. Its got some elements that I really like: the score, the dark atmosphere, the POV shots of the alien tracking the prisoners through the corridors and the ending with Henriksen's appearance and Ripley's demise.

On the other side I thought it was a huge mistake to kill off Newt and Hicks right away! Because of that the possibilitys for the story changed entirely, it would have been a whole different and better movie with them I guess...

Shaak

Shaak

Quote from: SonOfTheDark on Jan 11, 2007, 03:15:10 AM
On the other side I thought it was a huge mistake to kill off Newt and Hicks right away! Because of that the possibilitys for the story changed entirely, it would have been a whole different and better movie with them I guess...

How do you think it would be?

SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

Well, thats hard to say, there are plenty of options. But it would have been nice to see further development of these 3 characters and their relationships throughout the story, which could have been a lot different than Ripley being alone again on the prisoner planet, the whole initial situation would have been different with Newt and Hicks on her side and there probably would have been a completely diverse plot, because of that. Although I can't think of one right now ^^

Of course, if one of them would have died during the film, it would have been a very emotional and dramatic scene...

Meathead320

Meathead320

Now even thought the Queen is my altime favorite movie monster, I have to say that in A2 the regular aliens seemed to be reduced to "canon foder".

I am glad that this movie went back to the roots, and showed how dangerous even one single alien can be.

If you don't have some guns with armor piercing rounds AND mange to be very fast, AND get a good distance then even a single drone, just one, can be deadly.

It also established how even that single warrior can be so protective of its species future.

That is one of the things I love about A3.

ArchangeL

ArchangeL

Love it.

I loved the ending, Ripleys character was great, and that guy who was sorta Ripleys friend, not Clemens, was cool. Can't remember his name, I think it was Dillon.

All I remember is he was black and wore glasses.

Fitzley

Fitzley

It was good to kill Newt and Hicks. The first movie broke from the usual when it killed off Dallas...everybody expected him to be the hero...but then he died and Ripley came to the fore as the unexpected hero. The story is about Ripley and the alien, to add other characters to it, some sort of burgeoning family, would have taken away from the darkness of the movies.

The Alien Saga is a dark, scary place where the unexpected happens...for the worse. Their is no happy ending for Ripley. I like it just how it is.

Then Resurrection came along...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Fitzley on Jan 11, 2007, 05:17:57 AM
It was good to kill Newt and Hicks. The first movie broke from the usual when it killed off Dallas...everybody expected him to be the hero...but then he died and Ripley came to the fore as the unexpected hero. The story is about Ripley and the alien, to add other characters to it, some sort of burgeoning family, would have taken away from the darkness of the movies.

Bang on! The movies have become about Ripley and the Alien. Which is why I didn't mind them killing Hicks and Newt off - even though Hicks was my favorite - it furthered Ripley's developement. But that time has since gone, we should find a new hero to cheer for.

Shaak

Shaak

Quote from: SonOfTheDark on Jan 11, 2007, 04:09:25 AM
Well, thats hard to say, there are plenty of options. But it would have been nice to see further development of these 3 characters and their relationships throughout the story, which could have been a lot different than Ripley being alone again on the prisoner planet, the whole initial situation would have been different with Newt and Hicks on her side and there probably would have been a completely diverse plot, because of that. Although I can't think of one right now ^^

Of course, if one of them would have died during the film, it would have been a very emotional and dramatic scene...

Well, Ripley died in a very emotional and dramatic scene  ;).

But yeah, that was what I'd liked for some time but now I think they followed the correct path and except for some alien effects I wouldn't change anything. Well maybe some screen time for Michael Biehn :D

That Yellow Alien

I also like that they killed off Newt and Hicks. While I understand peoples complaints about it, I understand why they did it. The entire trilogy is about hopelessness . The alien ruins Ripley's life again and again. Every time she starts anew and establishes new relationships, the alien comes along and tears them away again. It ruined her life. That's why I love Alien 3 (special edition). It is the end. She is tired and depressed, almost to the point of giving up. I remember someone on the dvd set (Vincent Ward I believe) saying that Alien represents birth, Aliens represents life, and Alien 3 represents death. I understand why people were disappointed when it was first released because everyone was expecting another big action movie like Aliens. But looking at it now it is every bit as much as a worthy entry in the series as the first two movies. A:R is another story though. I like to believe it ended at 3 and A:R is a "what if" kind a situation.

jimmyboy

jimmyboy

Alien 3 is very very good, better than 1 & 4. I loved the work print special edition, it's like watching a different Alien film, especially liked the fact it came from an Ox and the bit where they trapped it in that Nuclear containment room then Golic released it after killing another prisoner, I really liked that sub-plot.

Alien 3 rocks! The Sega game was quite good in the early 90s too!!

Mr. Weyland

Mr. Weyland

I remember buying that game for Master-system, it was my best game for years, I still have it  :o

Shaak

Shaak

I like the dog/ox change, it's less dramatic but I prefer it. I can watch people suffering in movies but not animals.

Blue_Flamed_Demon

It sounds like a very good movie. Sadly i never watched it. I really want to watch it though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed