660 (50.2%)
Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 467,464 times)

Ghostface

Ghostface

Honor is what it is. Every society and subculture has their own sense of whats honorable and whats not. If a western man kills himself, its considered dishonorable. If a samurai kills himself, he reclaims his honor.

Would you see a hunter shoot off a back of lions, only to take on the male tooth and nail? Some would consider this stupid, others honorable. Like I said, you may not agree to the hunters honor code, but tell that to the man in the gillie suit carrying the rifle.

BANE

BANE

QuoteHow much "honour" is there is blowing yourself and everything in a certain radius up when you lose?
I would chiefly say that that's pride. They are proud of their technology, obviously, and the last thing they want is humans stealing it, analyzing it and modifying it.

QuoteHow much "honour" did Blain get?  Or Pancho?  Or Mac?

Just 'cos they can acknowledge a dude who puts up a good fight (similar to the Predator fighting Dutch hadn to hand) doesn't equate to them being "honourable".
Honour is honesty, fairness or integrity in one's beliefs or actions. The predators are honourable in the fact that they only kill armed people who are in fighting condition and who are the most dangerous. Just because it shoots Blain from far away doesn't mean he's being unfair. Arguably, Blain has more firepower than the predator and is on high alert. I wouldn't call it dishonourable: I'd call it skill.

SM

SM

QuoteWould you see a hunter shoot off a back of lions, only to take on the male tooth and nail? Some would consider this stupid, others honorable. Like I said, you may not agree to the hunters honor code, but tell that to the man in the gillie suit carrying the rifle.

A lion can and will kill you.  A deer can't - generally - can't.

If you choose to take it on hand to hand, when you have better choices to either escape or shoot it, then you're an idiot.  Not even an honourable idiot; just an idiot.

QuoteI would chiefly say that that's pride. They are proud of their technology, obviously, and the last thing they want is humans stealing it, analyzing it and modifying it.

I would chiefly call that being a sore loser.

QuoteArguably, Blain has more firepower than the predator and is on high alert. I wouldn't call it dishonourable: I'd call it skill.

Where's the skill in being completely invisible and using your superior technology to aim for you at a target from long range, then blow a hole through it's chest?

BANE

BANE

QuoteI would chiefly call that being a sore loser.
It's a fine line. I always interpreted it as a last ditch effort to protect his technology and keep traces of his race to a minimum so that they could continue their hunting tradition.

QuoteWhere's the skill in being completely invisible and using your superior technology to aim for you at a target from long range, then blow a hole through it's chest?
I guess you're right. The real skill is in infiltrating the teams' ranks to retrieve the body without being caught.

SM

SM

Yes, that's definately a skill, cos even cloaked he could easily be spotted at that close range.

QuoteIt's a fine line. I always interpreted it as a last ditch effort to protect his technology and keep traces of his race to a minimum so that they could continue their hunting tradition.

Either way it doesn't equate to any sort of honour.  You took on the prey and you lost.  If there was honour involved you'd simply die and to the victor, the spoils.

BANE

BANE

QuoteEither way it doesn't equate to any sort of honour.  You took on the prey and you lost.  If there was honour involved you'd simply die and to the victor, the spoils.
Unless, of course, he was upholding his cultures' rules concerning a situation such as that (i.e on the rare occasions when they are defeated). Therefore, to us, what he did wasn't very honourable, but to them, he kept their technology out of human hands and knowledge of their species to a minimum. What's honourable to us is probably not the same as what is honourable to them.

QuoteYes, that's definately a skill, cos even cloaked he could easily be spotted at that close range.
For some reason, I can't tell whether or not this is sarcasm or if you're genuinely agreeing with me...

SM

SM

I'm agreeing.

QuoteUnless, of course, he was upholding his cultures' rules concerning a situation such as that (i.e on the rare occasions when they are defeated).

Hence my initial comment "They simply have rules".

BANE

BANE

QuoteHence my initial comment "They simply have rules".
Which he was upholding to the best of his abilities, thus being honourable in his cultures' eyes. Now we can both be correct.  ;)

Anto of the Sand

Anto of the Sand

I think if Alien fans got their strongest Alien and Predator fans got their strongest Predator, and they fought, the Pred would win.

Ghostface

Ghostface

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 06, 2010, 01:40:15 AM
QuoteHence my initial comment "They simply have rules".
Which he was upholding to the best of his abilities, thus being honourable in his cultures' eyes. Now we can both be correct.  ;)

Well put Blain. Honor is defined by the ones who make the rules. Your personal code of honor is obviously different to a hunter, and definately to a hunting race. What you consider cowardly, they consider a prize kill. In my opinion, Billy's death was honorable. Others look at it as stupid insanity. Each to their own.

SM

SM

Billy's is an odd one.  They'd tried shooting at it and trapping it, so he tried something different.  If Billy was dealing with a lion (ie. a known quantity) then he'd be stupid.

The honour in Billy's death though is in that fact it can be interpreted as a delaying tactic so his comrades (those left at this point) could "get to da choppah".

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I see that argument being made, but given that he seemed...I dunno, off...in the film he was probably just nutty. I seriously doubt his intention was honour and to buy his friends some time.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: Anto of the Sand on Sep 06, 2010, 01:42:32 AM
I think if Alien fans got their strongest Alien and Predator fans got their strongest Predator, and they fought, the Pred would win.

Pretty much all Aliens have the same or ridiculously similar strength and fitness, though.

SM

SM

QuoteI see that argument being made, but given that he seemed...I dunno, off...in the film he was probably just nutty. I seriously doubt his intention was honour and to buy his friends some time.

His own personal honour had more to do with it (ie. he had to display to the world at large how big his bollocks were).

Though this has zilch to do with Predator 'honour'.

Anto of the Sand

Anto of the Sand

Quote from: MadassAlex on Sep 06, 2010, 02:00:46 AM
Pretty much all Aliens have the same or ridiculously similar strength and fitness, though.
I meant, like a Praetorian or sumfin'.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed