660 (50.2%)
Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 467,103 times)

SiL

SiL

The honour came from facing an incredible foe with only your skill and wits.

Which isn't what Predators do. They find the neatest prey, turn themselves invisible, get as far away from it as possible and snipe its ass.

Race_of_Hunters

Race_of_Hunters

Quote from: SiL on Apr 13, 2010, 07:34:47 AM
Which isn't what Predators do. They find the neatest prey, turn themselves invisible, get as far away from it as possible and snipe its ass.

LMAO

Hardly ...

Mac?  Up close ... point blank even.
Dillion?  Right up close.
Billy?  Up close.
Arnold?  Up close, no weapons

Danny Boy?  Up close
Jamaicans?  Up Close
King Willy?  Up Close
Lone Ranger?  Up Close
Harrigan?  Up Close

Sure it takes some people out with weapons from a distance, but not all as you make it sound.

Try again.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Race_of_Hunters on Apr 13, 2010, 07:39:41 AM
Try again.
No need.

Sure, Preds have killed a lot of people up-close - But they were physically far superior to their prey, and always had better gear. Honour came from kicking the shit out of something twice as big and strong as you, not something half your size that you can backhand a dozen meters.

Race_of_Hunters

Race_of_Hunters

Quote from: SiL on Apr 13, 2010, 07:43:35 AM
Sure, Preds have killed a lot of people up-close - But they were physically far superior to their prey, and always had better gear.
Doesn't make it dishonorable.  And doesn't mean the characters don't have some form or code of ethics.  Which they clearly do given the examples stated.  They aren't mindless creatures operating instinctually.  Their game had weaponry capable of giving the Predator a mess of damage as well.

Quote from: SiL on Apr 13, 2010, 07:43:35 AMHonour came from kicking the shit out of something twice as big and strong as you, not something half your size that you can backhand a dozen meters.
That has nothing to do with honor.  It showed honor through 1 on 1 competition.  The willingness to give someone a chance to fight on level ground.  Predator could've easily murked Dutch when he was resting on the log.  Advantages or disadvantages physically have no bearing on a code of honor or ethics.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I'll go kill the shit out of a bunch of five year olds and you can tell me how honourable that is.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Race_of_Hunters on Apr 13, 2010, 07:48:53 AM
Doesn't make it dishonorable.
What's honourable about wailing on a five year old?

QuoteAnd doesn't mean the characters don't have some form or code of ethics.
They have rules, sure - But they seem geared more towards making it more fun for them, rather than slaughtering people wholesale.

QuoteThe willingness to give someone a chance to fight on level ground.
A chance? Arnold freaking Schwarzenegger couldn't even hurt the thing, what chance would most people have?

Humans are pretty much physically incapable of harming a Predator without weapons; the Pred going hand-to-hand wasn't giving Arnie a fair shot, it was nailing home how much Arnie was f**ked. Any way you cut it, the Pred was going to win that fight - Arnie essentially had to cheat.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

QuoteHonour came from kicking the shit out of something twice as big and strong as you

According to p2 skulls they did in the past.

Humans aren't dangerous because their physichal abilities but their weapons and intellect. They can kill preds with the right weaponary and knowledge. PF and AT sisn't stop hunting when their cloak were down or their weapons got disabled. And most of their kills aren't from sniping.

hence:

QuoteWhich isn't what Predators do. They find the neatest prey, turn themselves invisible, get as far away from it as possible and snipe its ass.
wrong

Of course it doesn't mean they hunt for honour.

QuoteWell yeah in the old days, you had to hunt to eat.  I guess in some cultures it had honour involved.  But I think a lot of the time it was just getting food on the table.

Damn, I thought I answered you, now I see I didn't, sry.
Mostly it's for food, but at some point honour and dominance comes in. I'm just saying that it's possible, thus in some cases hunting can be considered as an honourable action.
I don't refer to preds as honourable though, those times are over...
But I mean that with the right circumstances and arguments it might be proven.

Race_of_Hunters

Race_of_Hunters

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 13, 2010, 07:51:37 AM
I'll go kill the shit out of a bunch of five year olds and you can tell me how honourable that is.
Pretty much not even like that ... the five year olds don't have the intellgence to match you (Arnold and his team are certainly as witty as the Predator, in Dutch's case maybe more so) ... they aren't so physically inferior that they stand NO chance or can't at the very least defend themselves.  And of course the Predators game had major weaponry, that in both films inflicted quite a bit of damage on the Predators.

The five year old going to throw Beanie Babies at you?  Not even comprable.

So your comparison is completely erranreous and doesn't hold any water.

Plus the Predator shows the intelligence and will power to not kill everything it sees, only worthy opponents (IE people who can fend for themselves) and even shows remorse, and respect in some cases.

Another Alien fanboy heard from?  Try again, fellas

Race_of_Hunters

Race_of_Hunters

Quote from: 08yeyinde on Apr 13, 2010, 07:56:44 AM
Humans aren't dangerous because their physichal abilities but their weapons and intellect. They can kill preds with the right weaponary and knowledge. PF and AT sisn't stop hunting when their cloak were down or their weapons got disabled.
OMG, someone gets it that isn't a rabid fanboy with an agenda.

YAY !!!

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Making that kind of claim doesn't help your argument any.

Besides, the point stands. Literal five year olds don't matter. You could give cripples knives and I could still wail on them. And the point would be the same.

The Predator was taking on physically inferior enemies with inferior senses and inferior equipment and inferior weaponry.

Race_of_Hunters

Race_of_Hunters

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 13, 2010, 08:00:28 AM
The Predator was taking on physically inferior enemies with inferior senses and inferior equipment and inferior weaponry.
His prey was inferior physically, but not to the point of handicap.

And were as intelligent, and out numbered him, and only had inferior weaponry in a one v one sense of comparison but all together had way more fire power, and inflicted alot of said damage with that weaponry.

Once again going to extemes and even in accurate statements to try and prove your point.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I'd argue that the "honour" interpretation is the extremist view. It reads too far into the films when you're just supposed to go "oh shit, this thing's a killer". That's literally as far as it needs to extend. Anything else is superfluous.

Race_of_Hunters

Race_of_Hunters

Quote from: MadassAlex on Apr 13, 2010, 08:05:16 AM
I'd argue that the "honour" interpretation is the extremist view. It reads too far into the films when you're just supposed to go "oh shit, this thing's a killer". That's literally as far as it needs to extend. Anything else is superfluous.
Actually you're supposed to read, "oh shit this thing is a hunter"

SiL

SiL

Quote from: 08yeyinde on Apr 13, 2010, 07:56:44 AM
Humans aren't dangerous because their physichal abilities but their weapons and intellect. They can kill preds with the right weaponary and knowledge.
So a Predator going hand-to-hand with a human is just a Predator being a douche.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

The distinction between "hunter" and "killer" only has relevance insofar as we're talking about plot justification. When it comes down to dramatic effect and the relationship of the Predator with the characters, there's absolutely no difference.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed