Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 470,444 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Aeus on Mar 31, 2010, 01:36:18 PM
These are trained combat soldiers, they would make as little noise as possible, yet to the Predator they're loud as f**k.
They're moving through jungle. I can hear them even when it's not in Predator vision mode.

And like I said - You can hear the team, and what you can hear is clear as day, but you can't hear every little sound around. Aliens are very, very, very quiet, to the point we can't hear them. We've never seen a Predator pick up a sound that quiet before.

QuoteUnless the Predator is severely preoccupied, there is no way he's not going to hear an Alien coming for him.
Pussyface didn't hear Keyes' team, he had to see it. And even when he did, when we were in Pred vision we still couldn't hear the team moving around.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

QuoteWe've never seen a Predator pick up a sound that quiet before.
Keyes' team made almost no sound at all, he could still hear the little creaking at the stairs, which made it very clear for him that somebody is in the huge slaughterhouse.

Mac made almost no sound, he still heard him and blasted his brain out. Jerry was talking to himself when walking down the street, yet he could hear hear him and the Predator was on top of the f**king Chrysler building. There is no doubt they can hear pretty, pretty, pretty good, and they should be able to hear an Alien.

Puks

Puks

Ah, an epic duel between SiL and Johnny.

*goes for popcorn*

Quick N Slick

Quick N Slick

There are actually some pretty good points being made on both sides.

The PredBen

The PredBen

I am honestly split ... I perfer the Alien films but I am a bigger fan of the Predator creature for some reason ... IDK ... but yeah I think that this is an enternal debate.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

The Predator is obviously selective about his hearing. From atop the Chrysler he can hear Jerry, but we don't hear anyone else. Quite simply if his natural hearing was just that good, even if he could hear the sounds and locate the source, he couldn't understand them all. They'd be too similar to each other; he'd loose track of, say, which voice is which.

Quick N Slick

Quick N Slick

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Mar 31, 2010, 11:18:16 PM
The Predator is obviously selective about his hearing. From atop the Chrysler he can hear Jerry, but we don't hear anyone else. Quite simply if his natural hearing was just that good, even if he could hear the sounds and locate the source, he couldn't understand them all. They'd be too similar to each other; he'd loose track of, say, which voice is which.

You could easily lose track of voices doing that, & we're human. The Pred has some understanding of English, but a whole lot less than you or I --- making it that much tougher.

Was he atop the Chrysler? I thought that was in NYC?

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: Quick N Slick on Mar 31, 2010, 11:55:32 PM

You could easily lose track of voices doing that, & we're human. The Pred has some understanding of English, but a whole lot less than you or I --- making it that much tougher.

I wasn't actually paying much attention to what I was saying, just trying to get a point across. So, no, he was not atop the Chrysler. Damn you for confusing me, Johnny.

XenoVC

XenoVC

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Apr 01, 2010, 12:19:41 AM
Quote from: Quick N Slick on Mar 31, 2010, 11:55:32 PM

I wasn't actually paying much attention to what I was saying, just trying to get a point across. So, no, he was not atop the Chrysler. Damn you for confusing me, Johnny.

Was the Eastern Columbia Building in Los Angeles.

Had to correct that.  :P

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Mar 31, 2010, 09:28:46 PM
Keyes' team made almost no sound at all, he could still hear the little creaking at the stairs,
Which, again, we could hear, too, when we weren't in Predator vision.

What I'm saying is, when we got to the Pred POV, we never hear sounds that were otherwise too quiet to hear - We only hear sounds we otherwise could hear amplified.

QuoteMac made almost no sound, he still heard him and blasted his brain out.
Except we don't know if the Predator heard him or saw him - There's a broad enough window for the latter to have happened.

QuoteJerry was talking to himself when walking down the street, yet he could hear hear him and the Predator was on top of the f**king Chrysler building.
Yet we couldn't hear any of the fifty other conversations in the street.

QuoteThere is no doubt they can hear pretty, pretty, pretty good,
Certainly.

Quoteand they should be able to hear an Alien.
Wholly unsupported by what we actually see in the films.

EDIT

Okay, I'm not saying Predators couldn't hear an Alien, period (Their masks are clearly capable of amplifying sound). But saying that it would be impossible, or even unlikely, for an Alien to sneak up on a Predator because of its hearing simply isn't shown in the films.

The Demon

The Demon

I know I'm using Avpr as as source but.....

How about the Predator in the ship. He heard the other Predator being slaughtered and instantly knew what was up.

SiL

SiL

...Yeah, that wasn't exactly quiet.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: The Demon on Apr 01, 2010, 10:35:52 AM
I know I'm using Avpr as as source but.....

How about the Predator in the ship. He heard the other Predator being slaughtered and instantly knew what was up.

Dude, his comrade was squealing in agony. A deaf man would've heard that :P

BENDIDAT

BENDIDAT

i say none marines all the way they have the coolest weapens and there jst cool man

ScoobySnax

ScoobySnax

Quote from: BENDIDAT on Apr 02, 2010, 12:34:38 AM
i say none marines all the way they have the coolest weapens and there jst cool man
Great contribution.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed