660 (50.2%)
Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 467,095 times)

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Hey, no one forced them to make up a whole franchise out of an insider joke.

SiL

SiL

Good thing, too, because they didn't.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SiL on Aug 31, 2009, 10:41:10 PM
Good thing, too, because they didn't.
Yeah, i think the AvP comics came out even before Predator 2.

Alright, then lets just say, no one forced them to make up a whole franchise from somebody who originated the idea on his shithouse.

SiL

SiL

He saw a hunter, and he saw prey, and said "Hey, why not."

I'm glad he did. I thoroughly enjoy the original comic and I'm glad we have the AvP games. Much else besides that is usually a load of wank, true, but no-one's forcing me to read or watch it, so it hardly bothers me.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Yeah, I forgot about the comic (like all AvP comics, it sucked!). Even so, I still believe that the easter egg (AKA the insider joke) in Predator 2 is what really did set the wheels in motion.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 31, 2009, 04:22:14 PM
Find me a Star Trek alien that bears even a remote resemblance to the Predator.

I think he's referring to the humanoid design and the crest-like forehead that might remind some of the Klingons (among other Star Trek aliens).

The concept that a Predator might draw its design lineage from Star Trek isn't necessarily a bad trait in itself, although it's understandable that you wouldn't want it associated with the Predator as you see it.

I think it's largely important to note what someone values in the presentation of extraterrestrials. For instance, I personally dislike aliens that resemble human beings too much, because then they cease to speak to me of aliens and seem like some mutant strain of primate. I understand that it doesn't work like this for everyone, but it's worth noting that bearing too much resemblance to human beings makes the Predator less believable as an alien for some, as its evolutionary development is far too consistent with our own.

SpaceMarines (and I and everyone else who's made this point) have a point when it comes to the humanoid design of the Predator. No matter your opinion of the design, its observable elements are largely drawn from human beings, cultures and movements. If you dig it, then that's fine, but you can't say that the Predator is inhuman in presentation when it's anything but.

On the other hand, getting heated over Hollywood monsters is a waste of time and energy. Let's not have that again.

The PredBen

The PredBen

Okay just hitting on two topics:
1.) Aliens are more alien then Predator. But Predator was just that - the ultimate hunter more so then it being an alien. The Preds original design was very " alien " , but dumb.

2.) Predators a HUGE. I remember , over three pages of posts ago , someone said aliens are two meters which equals eight feet.

One meter is 3.4 feet. Not four feet.
So the alien is 6 foot 8 inches tall , not eight feet.
The Predator is Seven feet tall.

Just saying , all the best.

Yeah ...

TheMonolith

TheMonolith

In Alien 3, Ripley described to the warden that the Alien is 8 feet tall.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: TheMonolith on Sep 01, 2009, 05:25:57 PM
I didn't see Ripley running around with a tape measure.

BTW, the guy who said that the alien is 8ft tall was the same guy that said that the Alien also weights a ton, a ton...

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Which is observably impossible, just from viewing canon material. There's no way the creature could find itself hiding in the kinds of places it does with that weight, especially when it comes to hanging from chains like in ALIEN.

I'd actually assume the physiology of the creature is even more alien than its appearance, being unsurprised if it was remarkably light given its 6-8 ft. height.

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 01, 2009, 05:37:53 PM

BTW, the guy who said that the alien is 8ft tall was the same guy that said that the Alien also weights a ton, a ton...

And this is coming from the guy who said that the Predator knocked Arnie over twenty feet across the jungle.

Twenty feet.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Drago-Morph on Sep 01, 2009, 07:12:25 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 01, 2009, 05:37:53 PM

And this is coming from the guy who said that the Predator knocked Arnie over twenty feet across the jungle.

Twenty feet.
Coming from the guy who said he knocked Arnie 6 feet (1,80 metre).

See where Arnie is? See where the Predator is? You call that distance 6 feet?

Looks more like 4 metres, which is around 13 feet, like i said before.

But like you showed so many times before, that proves absolutely nothing right? The Alien weights a ton, is 8 feet tall and has god-like power.. have fun in your imaginary world.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

About the size of the Alien: Bolaji Badejo (the actor who played the original Alien creature) is 7 ft 2 (218 cm), and add the extra height of the head (remember that the actor's head is located in the neck of the suit), which should at least add an extra foot - so yeah, the Alien (at least the one in the first movie) is at least 8 feet tall.

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 01, 2009, 08:26:22 PM
About the size of the Alien: Bolaji Badejo (the actor who played the original Alien creature) is 7 ft 2 (218 cm), and add the extra height of the head (remember that the actor's head is located in the neck of the suit), which should at least add an extra foot - so yeah, the Alien (at least the one in the first movie) is at least 8 feet tall.
Kevin Peter Hall is 7 feet 2½" (220 cm)tall, add the Predator sandales and some extra height of the head on top and the Predator is close to 8 feet.

Also, Bolaji's head wasn't inside the neck, it was inside the head, it was only in Alien 3 when Tom Woodruff began to play the alien that the head was inside the neck.

Xhan

Xhan

The predator isn't "close" to eight feet with or without foam.

Find me a Star Trek alien that bears even a remote resemblance to the Predator.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirogen

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed