Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 470,344 times)

Chris P

Chris P

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 25, 2009, 04:32:13 PM
Based on what exactly? Predators use their tech heavily, but you're implying they require it to survive in every situation.
I meant in a fight for survival, like facing a worthy opponent. Obviously it could survive without it, but if it came down to Alien and Predator, head-to-head with no weapons, just what the good Lord gave 'em, then the Pred would last about 5 seconds, before finding a tail up his ass and a jaw through his head.

Bottom line: (you can quote me): "Alien was born to kill and is a way better killing machine".

*Keeping in mind, that even with weapons and gadgets, Grid in AVP was able to kill 2 Preds. Why? Cause his instincts were higher advanced, probably because the ALiens in themselves are not capable of harnessing advanced tech, (as far as we know), so they would have had to develope an outstanding self-preservation gene which of coarse would include a hightened awareness and ability to outsmart opponents.

Preds are cool, no doupt, but Alien takes the cake on over-all winner in survival, and power. (Aliens have unbelievable mechanical strenght, as seen in every film).

8)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Chris P on Mar 26, 2009, 10:47:03 PM
*Keeping in mind, that even with weapons and gadgets, Grid in AVP was able to kill 2 Preds. Why? Cause his instincts were higher advanced, probably because the ALiens in themselves are not capable of harnessing advanced tech, (as far as we know), so they would have had to develope an outstanding self-preservation gene which of coarse would include a hightened awareness and ability to outsmart opponents.

Grid didn't outsmart either Predator in AvP. He just got lucky. Gill was distracted, and Celtic got cocky. Grid didn't show any form of superior intelligence over either one of them, save for almost getting the drop of Celtic before being netted.

Chris P

Chris P

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 27, 2009, 12:05:33 AM

Grid didn't outsmart either Predator in AvP. He just got lucky. Gill was distracted, and Celtic got cocky. Grid didn't show any form of superior intelligence over either one of them, save for almost getting the drop of Celtic before being netted.

Grid DID outsmart them.

Here's why:

1. Gill was unfocussed, or focussed too much on Lex, and left himself vulnurable. Grid siezed the opportunity, not luck, planning and analysing a situation before making a move.

2. Grid knew he could use his own blood to free himself when trapped, so self awareness played a role in that.

3. Celtic was a young pred, yet still skilled enough to be sent there. He faaught well, but didn't considder all aspects of his fight.

4. Grid (again with self awareness...) was able to fling acid at Celtic from affar, causing Celtic to loose his armour. Was that luck? Maybe, but seems more like smarts to me. Cause Grid could have simply ran back at Celtic and tried to brawl it out again instead of using his tail as a ranged weapon.

5. When Scar was firing off his gun, Grid dodged it, but then halted the flanking as the others went on. Why? Cause he saw that it was pointless and he calculated his chances.

Grid not only outsmarted the preds, but he outmatched them in persivearance, stealth and self preservation.

You can't say he "got lucky", cause that wouldn't make sense. Those fights were all about skill and who knew their opponent more. --Funny, you would think the preds would have been able to asume the ALiens instinctive attacks.  ::)

Let's not forget that when Gill was impaled and was facing Grid, he could have swung an arm blade up and attacked Grid, or cut the tail off while being lifted, but decided not to. Why? No will to live I think. That was the difference:

... With the Preds, it was a game, a hunt, with Grid, it was all about survival and therefore gave hime the strength to continue on, even when the odds were stacked against him.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

And you're forgetting that the Predators were sent there on a blooding ritual. It's unlikely they knew how Aliens really behaved in combat.

As for Gill swinging his blades, he was probably dead as soon as Grid nailed him because that tail went right through his spinal cord. Can't really do much if you're effectively paralysed.

Chris P

Chris P

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 27, 2009, 05:15:40 PM
As for Gill swinging his blades, he was probably dead as soon as Grid nailed him because that tail went right through his spinal cord. Can't really do much if you're effectively paralysed.

So the same should have happened with Scar when he was impaled with an even lerger Queen tail. Yet he still was able to roar his head off and stay alive long enough for lex to watch the queen fall and go see how he was.

No doubt he would have been dead quickly, but paralyzed? There is no evidence to support that Predators could even fall prey to that outcome!

Deadmeat

Deadmeat

Quote from: Chris P on Mar 27, 2009, 12:26:39 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 27, 2009, 12:05:33 AM

Grid DID outsmart them.

Here's why:

1. Gill was unfocussed, or focussed too much on Lex, and left himself vulnurable. Grid siezed the opportunity, not luck, planning and analysing a situation before making a move.

2. Grid knew he could use his own blood to free himself when trapped, so self awareness played a role in that.

3. Celtic was a young pred, yet still skilled enough to be sent there. He faaught well, but didn't considder all aspects of his fight.

4. Grid (again with self awareness...) was able to fling acid at Celtic from affar, causing Celtic to loose his armour. Was that luck? Maybe, but seems more like smarts to me. Cause Grid could have simply ran back at Celtic and tried to brawl it out again instead of using his tail as a ranged weapon.

5. When Scar was firing off his gun, Grid dodged it, but then halted the flanking as the others went on. Why? Cause he saw that it was pointless and he calculated his chances.

Grid not only outsmarted the preds, but he outmatched them in persivearance, stealth and self preservation.

You can't say he "got lucky", cause that wouldn't make sense. Those fights were all about skill and who knew their opponent more. --Funny, you would think the preds would have been able to asume the ALiens instinctive attacks.  ::)

Let's not forget that when Gill was impaled and was facing Grid, he could have swung an arm blade up and attacked Grid, or cut the tail off while being lifted, but decided not to. Why? No will to live I think. That was the difference:

... With the Preds, it was a game, a hunt, with Grid, it was all about survival and therefore gave hime the strength to continue on, even when the odds were stacked against him.
Quote from: Chris P on Mar 27, 2009, 07:05:39 PM

So the same should have happened with Scar when he was impaled with an even lerger Queen tail. Yet he still was able to roar his head off and stay alive long enough for lex to watch the queen fall and go see how he was.

No doubt he would have been dead quickly, but paralyzed? There is no evidence to support that Predators could even fall prey to that outcome!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I'll save this conversation!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

He was roaring. Not much else.

Predboy

Predboy

No it didn't, luck did. The net was tightening up on Grid because that was its function, and the only reason he was able to break free was because of celtic being too cocky, which made him lucky, and was the only reason why he was able to walk out alive.

QuoteYou can't say he "got lucky", cause that wouldn't make sense. Those fights were all about skill and who knew their opponent more.

Read above.

...what?

QuoteLet's not forget that when Gill was impaled and was facing Grid, he could have swung an arm blade up and attacked Grid, or cut the tail off while being lifted, but decided not to. Why? No will to live I think. That was the difference:

I see, no will to live, or could it have been having just been impaled through the back where most likely the spinal cord could have been, had anything to do with it?

Deadmeat

Deadmeat

Gawd, you gotta love this thread!

Predboy

Predboy

Seein us fanboys duke it out while you watch the show huh. :D

Chris P

Chris P

Quote from: Predboy on Mar 28, 2009, 02:53:24 AM

No it didn't, luck did. The net was tightening up on Grid because that was its function, and the only reason he was able to break free was because of celtic being too cocky, which made him lucky, and was the only reason why he was able to walk out alive.

Obviously he knew, as his first reaction was not to see if he was alright, or charge Celtic, but to whip his tail in a manner that would imply he knew what he was doing, and it's intended purpose.

If you say any of the other films, the ALiens's main attacks are to sneak up on prey, if causght it goes into overdrive mad-man mode. As seen in the beginning of the fight between Grid and Celtic. (he lunged and jumped on him).,

Aliens are NOT long ranged attackers and in bleeding out like Grid was, he was able to analyse the situation and fling his own acidic blood at Celtic.

Also, if it was "luck", how was it the queen and her brood knew that if biting her and causing her to bleed on the chains that it would break them? Luck? I don't think so, sounds more like smartz to me.  8)

...what?

Celtic was sloppy. He held his own for a while, and getting "cocky" had no effect on Grids decisions.

Also, on the side note:

- When Grid was trapped, yes, the net was pulling in, but if you look closely, you will see that gridd was pushing back on the net as to cause him to bleed and then break free. It wasn't like he was trapped and the next just cut itself, no. Grid pushed, it was plain to see.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 28, 2009, 01:25:33 AM

Ah, but with those breathes, he could have swung a wrist blade. He was still breathing and moving his head when lex came over, therefore: Paralyzed is out. He would have rathered die honorably I guess, as opposed to take one final blow.

Verdict? Not luck, intellegance and instincts.

Chris P

Chris P

Quote from: Predboy on Mar 28, 2009, 06:24:32 PM

Duke? More like me dominate.  ;D

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Chris P on Mar 28, 2009, 06:31:38 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 28, 2009, 01:25:33 AM

Ah, but with those breathes, he could have swung a wrist blade. He was still breathing and moving his head when lex came over, therefore: Paralyzed is out. He would have rathered die honorably I guess, as opposed to take one final blow.

Verdict? Not luck, intellegance and instincts.

No he couldn't have. A) he was dying B) he fired them off at the Queen's neck when she broke out of the ice.

Predboy

Predboy

Quote from: Chris P on Mar 28, 2009, 06:32:10 PM
Quote from: Predboy on Mar 28, 2009, 06:24:32 PM

Duke? More like me dominate.  ;D

We'll see about that. :)

Quote from: Chris P on Mar 28, 2009, 06:31:38 PM
Quote from: Predboy on Mar 28, 2009, 02:53:24 AM

Obviously he knew, as his first reaction was not to see if he was alright, or charge Celtic, but to whip his tail in a manner that would imply he knew what he was doing, and it's intended purpose.

If you say any of the other films, the ALiens's main attacks are to sneak up on prey, if causght it goes into overdrive mad-man mode. As seen in the beginning of the fight between Grid and Celtic. (he lunged and jumped on him).,

Aliens are NOT long ranged attackers and in bleeding out like Grid was, he was able to analyse the situation and fling his own acidic blood at Celtic.

Also, if it was "luck", how was it the queen and her brood knew that if biting her and causing her to bleed on the chains that it would break them? Luck? I don't think so, sounds more like smartz to me.  8)

Dude...what are you talkng about. We're talking about when Grid was trapped in the net, no those other times.

Celtic was sloppy. He held his own for a while, and getting "cocky" had no effect on Grids decisions.

No, but it did on the final outcome of the fight. You know just as well as anyone else that if Celtic didn't waste time walking all 'hard and macho' Grid would've been f**ked. ;)

- When Grid was trapped, yes, the net was pulling in, but if you look closely, you will see that gridd was pushing back on the net as to cause him to bleed and then break free. It wasn't like he was trapped and the next just cut itself, no. Grid pushed, it was plain to see.

Just your opinion. Anyone else can say the net did all the work, as well as saying Grid did. For all we know, being caught by the net, falling through a brick floor and spining down out of control could've dazed Grid and he probably didn't know what was going on, until the net started cutting him. But, this is just all how someone else would see it. I guess we'll never know. :)

Chris P

Chris P

QuoteNo, but it did on the final outcome of the fight. You know just as well as anyone else that if Celtic didn't waste time walking all 'hard and macho' Grid would've been f**ked. ;)

Nope, Grid still had the edge the entire fight. From jumping on Celtic, to still going 100% after being pwned in the face into the pillar, to eventually killing him.  Celtic was always on the bottom (except for the throw he did). As much of a "macho" dude he was, so was Grid. When they faced off after that, Gris spent some time to let out a cocky smile and hiss, so I say they both made the same efforts to be all high and mighty, just Grid had the ballz to back himself up. ;)

By the way.... about the luck factor: I just remembered, when Grid and Celtic were wrestling on the ground, Celtic NOT getting impaled then was completely luck, His only hope that occurred was that kick which threw Grid off him.

QuoteI guess we'll never know.

Actually I know. Grid lived two doors down from me, We just had a BBQ dinner and I brought up the fight. He said I was right, he easilly pushed through that net, although he did say it hurt a little. ;)  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed