Prometheus Writers Audio Commentary Preview

Started by ikarop, Sep 23, 2012, 04:33:02 PM

Author
Prometheus Writers Audio Commentary Preview (Read 72,778 times)

ShadowPred

Full circle once Prometheus came around.

Alright people, use this fresh new page to get back on topic for once. Some crap about writer commentary and such.

SM

Holloway didn't seem especially violent.

thecaffeinatedone

Writer commentary looks to be purdy good. Like what they have to say. The more Alien(s) script written by spaihts didn't do much for me.

Highland

God damn, reading Speedymax postings is like wiping your ass with silk. Totally cured my hang over.

I was a massive X-files fan. Never once thought back to the black stuff until you guy's brought it up.

X-files - Black goo that seems to have some sort of intelligence, can control a host or exit. 

Prometheus - Black goo that destroys shit and turns people into half alien zombie snakes. 

Similarities - It's black?

SM

Wait, you forgot - it's gooey.

Cvalda

And an ancient alien bioweapon designed to destroy all life on Earth. From aliens that perhaps started life here in the first place.

But we musn't let all those obvious similarities get in the way of our other, more important goo debates, such as which goo does what and why.

The Alien universe has truly benefited from these remarkable mythos developments.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SM on Sep 24, 2012, 11:54:29 PM
Wait, you forgot - it's gooey.

No that's the green goo. Diet goo. Goo zero.

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 24, 2012, 11:59:24 PM
And an ancient alien bioweapon designed to destroy all life on Earth. From aliens that perhaps started life here in the first place.

As I remember it, there's a scene in one of the episodes that shows the black goo - v1.1 - X-files edition, that infects some sort of early primate. Actually I think that might even be in the movie?

I don't think the X-files ever links the V1.1 goo to the origin of human life - Could be wrong,  been yonks since I watched it.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: Highland on Sep 24, 2012, 11:49:49 PM
God damn, reading Speedymax postings is like wiping your ass with silk.

Possible sig line imminent.

I will reiterate, though, that I think they clearly showed that the goop's sole purpose was never simply to destroy.  It was a mutagen; it had all sorts of transformative and even ritualistic aspects for the Engineers.  They used it to experiment, to break down and build up life; any slight change in atmosphere or particular contact could create radically different effects.  They used it to create and to destroy, and David and co. f**ked about with it.  And sometimes, as is implied to be their plan for Earth, they destroyed to create (as David says).

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Highland on Sep 25, 2012, 12:00:08 AM
As I remember it, there's a scene in one of the episodes that shows the black goo - v1.1 - X-files edition, that infects some sort of early primate. Actually I think that might even be in the movie?

I don't think the X-files ever links the V1.1 goo to the origin of human life - Could be wrong,  been yonks since I watched it.

From Wikipedia:
QuoteAccording to the series mythology, an extraterrestrial lifeform, known in the series' mythology simply as the Colonists, were originally present on Earth in the early stages of human evolution.

The movie then goes on to state that the black oil was the first lifeform on this planet, and "walked the Earth before dinosaurs", etc.

Aaaand from The X-Files wiki:
QuoteA theory concocted by doctor Sacks and FBI Special Agent Dana Scully is that the black oil came to Earth prehistorically on a meteor from Mars that also carried the first building-blocks of life to Earth. The virus then thrived on Earth and infected primitive humans, completely changing their physiology and transforming them into alien life-forms themselves. In the planet's last ice age, these aliens died and the virus lay dormant underground until it resurfaced during Earth's current geologic period.

eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Hmm..., I like this, but at the same time I like the new direction, as long as a sequel happens. If a sequel does happen, I hope it ties in to Alien more directly, because at this point the alien franchise is dead.

Highland

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 25, 2012, 12:26:59 AM
snip

I don't think any of that stuff actually happens though. Now that I watched (used google) it again the primates just come across a dead alien so that would contradict the meteor theory. Then you'd have the conflict, that if the black goo hitched a ride on a Bruce Willis meteor, how come it's got ships and a grand plan to take over the world? #Villain voice#

I do clearly remember a scene where krycheck (spelling) spits the black goo out of his eyeballs and into an alien ship.

I always thought the black goo in the X-files was the alien, it wasn't responsible for anything other than looking out for itself - bit like "The Thing"

The goo in Prometheus seems more like a chemical as opposed to a life form.

Cvalda

Quote from: Highland on Sep 25, 2012, 12:43:58 AM
I don't think any of that stuff actually happens though. Now that I watched (used google) it again the primates just come across a dead alien so that would contradict the meteor theory.
The meteor stuff happens before the movie. The black oil is found all over the planet. When the homonids in Fight the Future discover it, it has already been here since the beginning of life on Earth.

Then you'd have the conflict, that if the black goo hitched a ride on a Bruce Willis meteor, how come it's got ships and a grand plan to take over the world? #Villain voice#
Because it had a couple billion years to get to that point?

I always thought the black goo in the X-files was the alien, it wasn't responsible for anything other than looking out for itself - bit like "The Thing"
It does a lotta things--kinda like the black oil in Prometheus, actually! Except it actually has defined motivations and purposes.

The goo in Prometheus seems more like a chemical as opposed to a life form.
But they still have much the same function and appearance.

szkoki

prometheus could have been a classic if they would implement more character development from the draft and have a little bit more action or terror in it...wich the draft shows, it could have been done even without an actual xeno

Highland

QuoteThe meteor stuff happens before the movie. The black oil is found all over the planet

Is that actually on film though? Where'd the alien come from then?

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 25, 2012, 12:53:21 AM
Because it had a couple billion years to get to that point?

So then you'd have to ask why not just make the planet Black Goo City with Black Goo public bars? Why bother with the secrecy and hidden ships and agenda's if you've been ruling the roost for a billion years? Why even bother letting the humans get advanced just so you can then wipe them out?

I guess if they did build ships then where are they going?

To me it the X-files always made the point of saying these guy's exist, they are coming to get us one day but I never thought watching the show that they were somehow responsible for creating anything - other than cool sharp stick things. 

Anyway, I don't really remember enough about the show to get into an in depth evaluation so I'll just chuck my vote in as "No"

Vickers

Based on what I've read and heard so far, I'm already liking Spaihts' draft better.  Can't wait to read the full draft.

Well, it's just one blow after another.  First the numerous concepts that didn't make it into the film (many of which are better than what we got), then the deleted scenes and now this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed