Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 847,846 times)

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

The First Power - Just picked this up on Blu Ray.  An underrated horror flick with Lou Diamond Phillips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PD7SDGKg_g

MudButt

MudButt

Predators

This movie is pretty underrated in my opinion. Really enjoyed the flick but I do have a lot of issues with the Nolan character. Felt like he was a wasted element which could have been pretty cool had they fleshed him out a bit more. Would've liked to see a bit more Predator vs Predator fighting and a longer battle between Hanzo and the Falconer Predator.

Overall though it has a fantastic premise and some of the action is pretty good. The final fight is fun.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: MudButt on May 31, 2018, 11:26:06 PM
Predators

This movie is pretty underrated in my opinion. Really enjoyed the flick but I do have a lot of issues with the Nolan character. Felt like he was a wasted element which could have been pretty cool had they fleshed him out a bit more. Would've liked to see a bit more Predator vs Predator fighting and a longer battle between Hanzo and the Falconer Predator.

Overall though it has a fantastic premise and some of the action is pretty good. The final fight is fun.

Seriously underrated film. At least it tried to follow the formula and actually felt like a predator movie. Aside from Topher Grace, it's a darn good flick.

The Old One

The Old One

Following a formula is something no film should have praise for.

Predators was best when it wasn't aping the original, which wasn't most of the time unfortunately.
Leaving a barely memorable mediocrity in the franchise's third slot.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 01, 2018, 04:07:30 AM
Following a formula is something no film should have praise for.

Predators was best when it wasn't aping the original, which wasn't most of the time unfortunately.
Leaving a barely memorable mediocrity in the franchise's third slot.

It's like a your favorite dish. Following the recipe is something that's guaranteed to work. When people start adding and changing too much stuff, before you know it that steak sauce on your plate isn't steak sauce anymore, it's doodoo.

Innovation is not needed when perfection has already been achieved. Under such circumstances, one runs significant risk of innovating something into failure. It's just not practical.

As for barely memorable slots, just wait for slot four when Predator: Homecoming comes out. I mean The Amazing Predator. I mean Iron Predator...doh!  ;)

MudButt

MudButt

I wouldn't say that just following the formula is the best thing, I am open to innovation for sure. But the movie does a lot better of calling back to the original better than Predator 2 or the AvP films did.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: MudButt on Jun 01, 2018, 04:43:52 AM
I wouldn't say that just following the formula is the best thing, I am open to innovation for sure. But the movie does a lot better of calling back to the original better than Predator 2 or the AvP films did.

Well said. When I discuss following formula, what I'm trying to convey is that the "bones" of the original idea are left intact. That is to say, the predators still act like predators.

Now, the number of people, their gender, age, ethnicity, the weapons they use can all be different in style and number. The number who die and survive can differ from past films, maybe none would survive. The location can even be different like in predator 2.

But the aspects of the hunt and the main goal of the predators should remain intact. Having predators form alliances with humans or come to earth for anything other than hunting feels like a stretch too far. That's why I enjoyed predators so much. Aside from the guy with the minigun, there was no resemblance to the original cast, but the predators and what they were doing rang true.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: MudButt on May 31, 2018, 11:26:06 PMPredators

Really enjoyed the flick but I do have a lot of issues with the Nolan character. Felt like he was a wasted element which could have been pretty cool had they fleshed him out a bit more.

Yeah, that's my biggest problem with the film too. Not only did the character feel like a massive wasted opportunity, a porky Laurence Fishburne did nothing to convince me he'd been surviving for years on a hostile alien planet all by himself.

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 01, 2018, 04:36:46 AMIt's like a your favorite dish. Following the recipe is something that's guaranteed to work. When people start adding and changing too much stuff, before you know it that steak sauce on your plate isn't steak sauce anymore, it's doodoo.

Innovation is not needed when perfection has already been achieved. Under such circumstances, one runs significant risk of innovating something into failure. It's just not practical.

Different people view things differently. Personally, I'd give a film that tries something different but fails far more credit than a movie that's simply a copy of things that were done better before. That's why I thought Jurassic World and The Force Awakens were so dull - there was no originality, only inferior imitation.

As The Old One said, almost all of the best stuff in Predators is when it isn't simply aping the first movie.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: MudButt on Jun 01, 2018, 04:43:52 AM
But the movie does a lot better of calling back to the original better than Predator 2 or the AvP films did.

I liked that in Predators they mentioned Dutch's mission (as they did in Predator 2). This made it feel like a part of the same 'verse in a way that AvP did not. Don't get me wrong, I love AvP, though!

But Predators - for me, a worthy threequel that is instep with its predecessors. I can't wait for the new one, tbh.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Billion Dollar Brain
I'd only ever seen the two 90's made Harry Palmer films that featured Jason Connery. So it was nice going back to the original 60's ones, which i had never seen before. Great fun, but needlessly complicated at times. But hey some great bits in in

Top Secret!
Seriously how has Val Kilmer not done more comedies. He was perfectly deadpan in this. Had been looking for this film for years and Film 4 finally showed it. Hysterical. I want the soundtrack

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

The Love Bug (1968) (aka Herbie 1)
I don't think I've seen this one since I was a kid. Still quite alright.
Can't imagine a Disney movie now where the bad guy gets a car drunk on Irish coffee while the good guy gets drunk.

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jun 01, 2018, 10:16:42 AM
Top Secret!
Seriously how has Val Kilmer not done more comedies. He was perfectly deadpan in this. Had been looking for this film for years and Film 4 finally showed it. Hysterical. I want the soundtrack

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2i2n0cl4oh7o8vz/TopSecret%21-Soundtrack.zip
Zip password: notveryprettymusic

or direct downloads of the seperate songs
https://theanalogkidblog.com/2015/01/14/the-lost-boys-hard-to-find-80s-albums-top-secret-soundtrack/

Cheerio!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Solo: A Star Wars Story

It has its flaws, but was pretty enjoyable.

Huggs

Huggs

Godzilla 2014. My favorite modern film. Only the third time I've seen it. Saw it in theaters on my birthday, saw it the day it came out on Blu-ray and then today. What a great movie. Every frame of it was exactly what I wanted from a Godzilla movie. To me, it's a masterpiece.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

The Revenant.
Brilliant film, Tom Hardy really does get lost in his characters.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Wayne's World

"It's like people only do things because they get paid." :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed