Author
Poll: AvP vs AvPR (Read 685,831 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 16, 2010, 10:20:59 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 16, 2010, 10:10:03 PM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Aug 16, 2010, 09:20:09 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 16, 2010, 09:04:08 PM
That's understandable but singling them out because they're cliched is stupid. I single Avatar out all the time for having a cut-and-paste story which was stolen from at least 3 different films. But cliches are almost unavoidable at this point so there isn't much point to griping about them.

Thats called a new thing then.If you take 3 existing ingredients and mix them together you have something that hasnt been done before. ALIEN is basically a remake of two other stories. The most memorable franchise are born our of mixing. Not only that, Cameron's intent is to take the old stories and out them in new environment to make them viable and fresh again. As for the fairy tale approach, whats wrong with it? Fairy tales are simple and timeless. Its just a different type of a story and something fresh. We havent have much of that for a long time now, only those "badass" dark, emo semi-intelligent movies with bad endings

While Avatar took from great timeless classics like Pocahontas and Titanic took from Shakespear's masterpiece Romeo and Juliet, AVPR took from 80s teen crap like karate kid or virtually every corny 80s movie with teens. Thats the difference

There is no difference. There's zero difference. How the material is used isn't important. The point is that ideas are being rehashed and it sucks. Cameron freshened up old ideas about as well as Requiem did, ergo, zilch.

They reused, like every single movie did post 60s or 70s I believe so even singling it out makes no sense if you think about it. What matters is the end result and wheter it works

And it didn't work obviously. In either example. I don't mean to compare both movies, but Avatar and Requiem, whether one likes it or not, suffer from the same problem: they are both cliched in their own way. The problem for me lies in the fact that since Avatar was such a huge production, I expected more and better. But with Requiem, not so much.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Aug 16, 2010, 11:01:35 PM
It depends on where you grab your definition of "cliché" from. The Oxford English Dictionary includes the definitions of basically anything (Although particularly phrases, plots, and characterisation) that is stereotyped and/or overused.

It's not a dirty word. Calling something a cliché doesn't necessary mean something bad unless the user wants it to. Alien is clichéd all to hell, but it just does everything better than what came before it, so people don't care. Same with a lot of movies.
Well, I think we're in agreement ... I don't think we were even disagreeing, but we seem to be in agreement.

That Yellow Alien

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I loved that. :)

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Yea, it is the truth... sad truth :(

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I'm watching that whole series now. I'm gonna watch the Alien3 one in a bit.

The PredBen

The PredBen

AVP is better ... much better ... a thousand times better. And a million times beneath Alien and Predator.

Spaghetti

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I watched his Predator review. It is a much deeper film than I had realized.

XenoVC

First Blood

First Blood

Jesus, he pointed out soooo many flaws and rightfully so.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: The PredBen on Aug 22, 2010, 04:38:15 PM
AVP is better ... much better ... a thousand times better. And a million times beneath Alien and Predator.

Thats a nice way to put it

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Aug 22, 2010, 07:22:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OR2WcaH5g

Brilliant and absolutely hilarious, especially the pizza boy killing an alien bit

#6.0

#6.0

Not talking about story, or designs, but just quality,

AVP.

End.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Aug 22, 2010, 04:14:02 PM
I'm watching that whole series now. I'm gonna watch the Alien3 one in a bit.

His Alien 3 review perfectly encapsulates why I love that film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed