Script in the works for PROM Seq

Started by draken161, Feb 27, 2013, 06:59:15 AM

Author
Script in the works for PROM Seq (Read 66,547 times)

StrangeShape

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 04, 2013, 04:26:57 AM
I think of it like this; they were from the same civilization, but different cultural periods, and designed by different engineers and architects. They've got the same basic looks and aesthetics, but the detailing is different.

As I said, theres plenty of reasons why they would be different. But theres no reason for such decline in design. Did they really think the look on the left is better than the Giger design on the right?

Gash

Gash

I agree to some extent, but I don't think it was designed to look better rather than to be immediately reminiscent. Certainly the Giger designs are superior, more intricate and elaborate, but I assumed it was a deliberate attempt not only to make the Juggernaut look clean but to make it look like the derelict was a much more ancient vehicle, built (or grown) in a different way. Much as the urns are an advancement on the eggs.

I look at the Engineer tech to be a simpler cleaner aesthetic because that tends to be the way that tech changes, whilst I look at the aliens in Promethues as simpler or bigger because they haven't developed into the ultimate weapon due to their watered down (in plot terms) conception, and are therefore a deliberate deconstruction of Giger's alien.

It's either a legitimate reason for the simplification and smoothing of details or an excuse to give the designers a pass. A bit of both probably.

Darth Vile

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 04, 2013, 04:28:30 AM
I think of it like this; they were from the same civilization, but different cultural periods, and designed by different engineers and architects. They've got the same basic looks and aesthetics, but the detailing is different.

As I said, theres plenty of reasons why they would be different. But theres no reason for such decline in design. Did they really think the look on the left is better than the Giger design on the right?
There is no "decline in design". Scott said he wanted to purposely move away from the bio-mech aesthetic of Alien to something a little more 'real world' industrial/technical. I personally don't think it's half as interesting, but it is an aesthetic choice of the filmmaker rather than the technical application of design.

BAD_ASS_MOFO

Prometheus sequel idea:

A deep space salvage crew find the juggernaut floating through space and find a sleeping Shaw with David's head. After being taken back to the International Space station, Shaw is suffering from post traumatic stress and lives in a small room with David's head whom she treats like a ginger cat.
Weyland has built a colony on LV-223 and lost contact with the colonists; whom secretly were told by a Weyland official to investigate the black goo.
Shaw is given a chance of redemption to go back to LV-223 with a group of marines to investigate and they get ambushed and attacked by black goo infected zombies. Shaw and the remaining marines have to fight their way out of the colony.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: AlienĀ³ on Mar 02, 2013, 05:14:39 PM
I'm know. :-\ thank you.

Just makin' a joke is all. :(
Sorry dude, been a hellish week. Shouldn't have snapped.

That's how I think about it too.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 04, 2013, 07:18:26 AM

I personally don't think it's half as interesting, but it is an aesthetic choice of the filmmaker rather than the technical application of design.

Hence a decline in the quality of the design.

DontRelaxJustYetMarines

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 04, 2013, 04:08:56 AM
The interiors do look very different. I wouldnt mind them to be clean, as it does make sense for a younger ship, or non decayed, but I do mind the redesign and simplification. Gone were the great, haunting, skeletal ribbed walls from Giger replaced with rather monotone design

>:(

That's just f**king pathetic.  f**k Prometheus.  Honestly, how could anyone call the design on the left an improvement?  If you can even call it a design.  Looks like something a 2 year old could come up with.

SpaceMarines

CHANGE IS BAD AND ANYTHING THAT IS DIFFERENT IS BAAAD.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 05, 2013, 02:41:25 AM
CHANGE IS BAD AND ANYTHING THAT IS DIFFERENT IS BAAAD.

But if one is bad, then being different is good.

But being different from that is bad.

Being different from being different is good, but being different from being different from being different is bad.

If you're good, I'm different, thus making me bad. But if I'm different from that, then I'm good and you're bad.

So if I'm not different, then I'm bad.

But everything that is different is bad, and I'm not everything.

So I am different from everything.

I'm bad, but I'm good.

The universe is mine.

Or not.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Change is only good if the change itself is worth a damn.

The change in Prometheus is to a certain extent like the changes to the alien creature design explored by ADI. Regardless of what "explanation" is applied to the concept, if you're taking out what makes it unique (Things like combining vacuum hose with bones and the organic/mechanic design elements) then it's not a good change.

SpaceMarines

But the changes to the Alien design by ADI were for no real purpose. Except for the changes in Res, which were to evoke that these Aliens were different from the ones seen before, since they were mutants. And that design change I was fine with, because it had a reason.

Same thing here. It's evoking that this structure isn't as ancient or degraded or infested as the Derelict was. And it worked perfectly. The change had a purpose. And it still looks damned unique. I can think of nothing similar to the aesthetics of the Juggernaut and the Temple in Prometheus except for, well, the Derelict.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 05, 2013, 05:25:00 AMIt's evoking that this structure isn't as ancient or degraded or infested as the Derelict was.

It's stating that the aesthetic of the derelict is because of random degradation rather than it being built by bio-mechanical horrors from outer space. That's a pretty lame reconn IMO.

I know I know, deal with it, etc. :P

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 05, 2013, 06:05:55 AM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Mar 05, 2013, 05:25:00 AMIt's evoking that this structure isn't as ancient or degraded or infested as the Derelict was.

It's stating that the aesthetic of the derelict is because of random degradation rather than it being built by bio-mechanical horrors from outer space. That's a pretty lame reconn IMO.

I know I know, deal with it, etc. :P

Yeah, that's my beef with it. I don't care if the change can be explained. It takes away from the original by saying "That was just a dead/decayed/distorted version." Okay. But I liked that version better.

Darth Vile

Quote from: tmjhur on Mar 05, 2013, 02:02:06 AM
Quote from: Darth Vile on Mar 04, 2013, 07:18:26 AM

I personally don't think it's half as interesting, but it is an aesthetic choice of the filmmaker rather than the technical application of design.

Hence a decline in the quality of the design.
I don't think deconstruction of a design can be regarded as a decline in quality per se - as that infers a lack of technical application. This is not about technical application but aesthetic choices. It's ostensibly the same design afterall i.e derelict and space jockey.

T Dog

T Dog

Yes and I think the aesthetic choice is inferior and creatively is a backwards step.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed