Recent posts

Alien: Romulus / Re: Alien: Romulus Catch-All T...
Last post by razeak - Today at 03:04:04 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Yesterday at 10:54:32 AMNot leaving a custodial staff on board the Sulaco's by far the dumbest thing in Aliens, and it's the most inexcusable because it had to happen for the overall plot.
you may be underestimating the stupidity of decision makers here. There are so many real world examples of stupid policies that it's not remotely surprising to me that something so obvious to us is a glaring logical issue for deep space military units. That's not even considering bean counters reducing costs. It's probably one of the most realistic representations in the series. I mean.......look how many bad things had to happen for the Titanic to hit that iceberg at exactly that moment
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 02:41:11 AM
Yeah.  If the Nostromo had the Sulaco's ability to drop its cryotubes into EEVs, the crew could have just used that method to get away.

And I still think the Sulaco's EEVs were never designed to land, just drift in space and transmit a distress beacon while keeping its passengers in hypersleep.
Predator Films / Re: Dan Trachtenberg To Direct...
Last post by SiL - Today at 02:19:41 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Today at 12:34:39 AMOn paper, I really love the idea of Predators. I just wish I didn't find the execution to be so middling, especially in the back half of the film.
This is how I feel about that movie and with Prey.
Last post by SiL - Today at 02:18:44 AM
Usually they're asleep in hyperspace so really if something goes catastrophically wrong out there they'd just die.
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 02:13:40 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 13, 2019, 06:25:04 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 10, 2013, 10:25:22 PMI agree.  That's why I don't think it was designed to be a lifeboat for the entire crew of its mothership, just the standard crew of the shuttle if it were to be damaged AFTER separation.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 10, 2013, 11:12:32 PMI'm guessing that the Nostromo probably wasn't designed to be scuttled under such dire circumstances.  That is, without two working shuttles and outside of said shuttles' normal operating range.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 10, 2013, 11:44:06 PMI'm assuming that it wasn't designed to be scuttled several weeks from rescue, but rather a relatively short shuttle-ride away from a safe port.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 11, 2013, 12:01:15 AMI'm talking about within the Sol or some other inhabited system.  The Nostromo's detonation sure looked violent and scary, but Ripley couldn't have been very far away from it at the time either.  I imagine, under normal circumstances, they'd probably scuttle it a few thousand klicks away from anything or anyone just to be safe, but that's nothing in astronomical terms.
Last post by SiL - Today at 02:08:21 AM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Today at 01:21:29 AMAh that's right three. If it needed coolant because the maximum capacity then I guess its a fair point to say it contributed to their deaths.
Max capacity was 2. 3 was wishful thinking.

It's not really dumb to only have one shuttle, though. Lifeboats in space are a nice idea but not really practical (as the franchise shows, repeatedly -- both Aliens and Alien3 start with lifeboats failing).

The Nostromo has a shuttle for shuttling, and the crew needed to abandon ship in or near port, they all could've fit into the shuttle to get off the ship. There are two cryotubes as a kind of maybe last ditch effort to preserve some of the crew in an extreme, extreme situation. But abandoning ship in deep space really doesn't seem like something anyone seriously expects to do, and even having cryotubes on the shuttle seems more like a morale thing than a practical consideration.
Last post by The Cruentus - Today at 01:21:29 AM
Ah that's right three. If it needed coolant because the maximum capacity then I guess its a fair point to say it contributed to their deaths.
Last post by SiL - Today at 01:16:51 AM
Quote from: Feeds On Minds on Today at 01:00:46 AMIt's almost as if Aliens is poorly written 80's action shlock, but with ground breaking special effects...
It's not poorly written at all.
Quote from: The Cruentus on Today at 01:11:25 AM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Yesterday at 10:26:37 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Yesterday at 11:59:04 AMThe whole plot's down to them being stuck on Acheron, if they had a logical operation with a custodian on the Sulaco or several, nothing's stopping them from just evacuating.

True, but if the Nostromo had more lifeboats, a lot more survivors would've made it off. Parker and Lambert would've lived. Mistakes and incompetence are a trademark of the universe by now.

Parker and Lambert didn't die because of there being limited life-boats. The shuttle had enough room for four people
Ripley explicitly says it can't take 4. Even 3 is pushing capacity, hence needing the coolant.
Last post by The Cruentus - Today at 01:11:25 AM
Quote from: Still Collating... on Yesterday at 10:26:37 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Yesterday at 11:59:04 AMThe whole plot's down to them being stuck on Acheron, if they had a logical operation with a custodian on the Sulaco or several, nothing's stopping them from just evacuating.

True, but if the Nostromo had more lifeboats, a lot more survivors would've made it off. Parker and Lambert would've lived. Mistakes and incompetence are a trademark of the universe by now.

Parker and Lambert didn't die because of there being limited life-boats. The shuttle had enough room for four people
Last post by Thatguy2068 - Today at 01:07:34 AM
Quote from: Feeds On Minds on Today at 01:00:46 AMIt's almost as if Aliens is poorly written 80's action shlock, but with ground breaking special effects...
Wow, people not enjoying aliens as much as other movies. Considering Aliens as that... damn
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed