The Reviews/interviews Thread

Started by ikarop, Nov 27, 2009, 04:10:45 PM

Author
The Reviews/interviews Thread (Read 324,314 times)

S.Y.L

S.Y.L

Quote from: dude63 on Feb 09, 2010, 03:24:11 AM
This isn't a review or anything but I guess its a pdate on promo work. I recenlty just watched ufc 109. AVP was the sole sponsor material in the broadcast. Every fight it was mentioned, between fights it was mentioned. Footage of the game was also shown. Also, when the main event came aroun Bruce Buffer (announcer) announced it to the 16,000 + crowd. GREAT promo work done by SEGA. Spreading the word.

:O
i missed that!!!!
just moved house and don`t get the channel that carries UFC anymore :(

S.Y.L

S.Y.L

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 09, 2010, 10:13:26 AM
Which says little, since Super Mario World > all.

motion carried :D

Quote from: Fleshtrap666 on Feb 09, 2010, 10:20:04 AM
Loved Sniper Elite sniping actually takes some skill on that game.

the bulletcam was pretty sweet as well!

Fleshtrap666

Fleshtrap666

Quote from: S.Y.L on Feb 09, 2010, 10:42:35 AM
Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 09, 2010, 10:13:26 AM
Which says little, since Super Mario World > all.

motion carried :D

Quote from: Fleshtrap666 on Feb 09, 2010, 10:20:04 AM
Loved Sniper Elite sniping actually takes some skill on that game.

the bulletcam was pretty sweet as well!

Yeah loved them 800+yard shots through the eye!! lol

Inverse Effect

IGN & Gamespot will end up giving the game an 8.5 or somthing. Although it's Possible that IGN may give it a 8.7. But those are my predictions :)

HutzDani

HutzDani

Lol im loving the fact that all people are bithiching about GI's review.
Some points the review makes are valid and that re-view of the review is just as bad.

Okay so were an AVP fan forum here, so if you shit down the games neck were  going to get narky (understandably) thats where the problem lies.

if the guy who rote it has not played AVP/AVP2/watched the movies he stands in a non-biast position, we dont have that so dont shoot the guy down in flames.

Quote"The human marine section (he is speaking of the campaign here) is set up like a survival horror FPS. There are a few good scares within these corridors, but after getting locked inside a room and having to fight off a horde of Xenomorphs for the 100th time, the repetition drowns the experience. It doesn't help that your flashlight is as useful at lighting up dark corners as a laser pointer."

Okay look at it, hes pointing out that is a generic get trapped shoot shoot shoot part of the game, as far as i have read from reviews the marine take ups half of the play time, so your now trapped with 6 hours of opening doors getting trapped shooting aliens, escapoing getting red key 11 for med lab 78 and low and behold trapped locked in shooting aliens.
Boring as hell, cmon i bet you get bored with asteroids / killing king cooper / getting mashed up by the physic guy in MGS ?

maby its possible hes just giving it a low score because hes going to be kissing Bad company 2's ass when it releases, but as far as im conserned that does the same thing all the other games did with shiney graphics oh and that brings me ot my point thats all this version of avp does, it does the same thing nigh on that AVP/AVP2 did with shiney graphics ( mind you we all know they are not even that shiney ).

Im dissopointed to see that the alien play time is 2-3 hours, they claimed MW2 whould be about 10 hours ame play on the hard mode i stopmed through it in 4 hours. . . . so the alien section will take me around 1 hour and a half.

Then 50% of the game is the marine ( as far as reviews have said ) thats cool but then we have got the predator with a meer 3-4 hours gameplay, that stinks for a big franchise like this dont you think ? good job some of us are getting the hunter packs when were waiting to join a game lobby we can play with our face huggers and when we have finished the game we can spend more time than the whole game MIGHT take to know our toy facehugger intimatly.

im like the films the games the books, but maby it is just going to be an average game nothign ground breaking it dioes what fan boys want and because of this the general gaming community will get little from it, just because we want it because we love the idea the franchise the previous games, is not to say if the 9 million gamers ( or howmany of us there are ) are going to eat it up like GTA/MW2/SIMS.

I hope its not as bad as the GI reviews makes out, but my expectations is a AVP2 game with shiney bits and better multiplayer, and i did not think AVP2 was that good the story was utter shit, and some of the ideas where bollocks, MP saved it.

thecool444

thecool444

Just letting you guys know that an Australian magazine called pcpowerplay gave AVP a 7/10 I will post the negative and positive. Things they said about the game tommorow as I don't have the mag yet but asked on the forum what they gave it.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: thecool444 on Feb 09, 2010, 11:34:53 AM
Just letting you guys know that an Australian magazine called pcpowerplay gave AVP a 7/10 I will post the negative and positive. Things they said about the game tommorow as I don't have the mag yet but asked on the forum what they gave it.

Keep in mind that a 5/10 from PC PowerPlay means that a game is good. A 6/10 is exceptional. 7/10 is great. An 8/10 is just short of a masterpiece.

I really like PCPP's method of rating games and this is exactly what I expected.

thecool444

thecool444

Yeah, PCPP is a great mag and I am sure they have given it a good review.

plagiarize

plagiarize

Quote from: HutzDani on Feb 09, 2010, 10:54:38 AMOkay look at it, hes pointing out that is a generic get trapped shoot shoot shoot part of the game, as far as i have read from reviews the marine take ups half of the play time, so your now trapped with 6 hours of opening doors getting trapped shooting aliens, escapoing getting red key 11 for med lab 78 and low and behold trapped locked in shooting aliens.
Boring as hell, cmon i bet you get bored with asteroids / killing king cooper / getting mashed up by the physic guy in MGS ?
Well we'll see when we play the game. I don't see it being a series of arena fights as an inherant negative... but that all depends on the core gameplay of fighting aliens. Trapped in an enclosed space with aliens sounds scary... so yeah, I'll wait to see on that if it's a fair criticism, but to call out Predators for being stealthy, to call out the motion detector as 'killing tension', to call out wall walking as disorienting (which yeah it is at first but the so is playing a FPS for the first time)... it just seems to be missing the crux of what a game based on this franchise should be. Maybe he couldn't care less about the franchises and if so... it'd be useful if he says that in his review, because the rare people that don't like the films will wonder if the game is worth buying anyways... but if he thinks he represents fans of the film... it's just such a strange review to me.

Quotemaby its possible hes just giving it a low score because hes going to be kissing Bad company 2's ass when it releases, but as far as im conserned that does the same thing all the other games did with shiney graphics oh and that brings me ot my point thats all this version of avp does, it does the same thing nigh on that AVP/AVP2 did with shiney graphics ( mind you we all know they are not even that shiney ).
the thing is there are dozens of games each year that do what Bad Company 2 et al do. We haven't had a new proper AvP since 2001. no other games really try that 'lets try and balance three completely different species' and it makes for a much more entertaining online game as you have to master and adopt to the various quirks, weaknesses and strengths of each species.

we've never had an Alien game with real time shadows. think about that.

and how do we 'all know' that graphics are not that shiny. the demo looks great on PC and is limited to the DX9 version. those of use with DX11 don't even know how pretty the final version is going to look running yet. the lighting and animation is brilliant. the various differences in the vision of the different species (and the predator's different vision modes) are really well done to boot.

yes, the fire and explosions are meh (which is a disapointment given that the first AvP had best in class fire and explosions for the time) but everything else from a technical perspective is great, and from a franchise perspictive is true to the universe.

people complaining about it being dark corridors are completely missing the point. it isn't all dark corridors, but that's what we want. we want the same kind of environments as we saw in the films and it looks like they've nailed that.

you may disagree about the art design... but i don't think it's fair to say the graphics aren't that shiny. the aliens certainly are shiny.

RubberChickenMan

Is that german? where ever the review is from it gave the game an 81%

http://i48.tinypic.com/e8pbsy.jpg

EatWheat

EatWheat

Quote from: RubberChickenMan on Feb 09, 2010, 01:02:25 PM
Is that german? where ever the review is from it gave the game an 81%

http://i48.tinypic.com/e8pbsy.jpg
good find looks good

Puks

Puks

I'm back.

Played the demo. While I have to admit it was fun (played totally 8+ hours), almost everything I feared and loathed about the game was there.

And what the hell was the initial demo release supposed to mean? Greaaat signal put out there to tell everyone how much the game is unpolished.

Not suprised at all if the game gets mixed reviews, ending up as a slightly beyond average wannabe franchise succesor with decent gameplay and average graphics.

I told you so.
The demo is fail and I fear the final product will not be much different. Does anyone actually believe in what's stated in the disclaimer in demo startup?

Brother

Brother

Pux is back people :P

Hemi

Hemi

Looks like the germans also think its on the short side... doesnt really matter.. im gonna play it online the most I think. I hope you can choose the nightmare difficulty @ the start and dont have to have a hard playthrough first.. the sooner I get playing the sooner WPC wil win back their throne  ;)

PLEXI

PLEXI

QuoteDoes anyone actually believe in what's stated in the disclaimer in demo startup?
Well I believe that it's using DX9.... That's about it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed