3 Body Problem (Netflix)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Sep 02, 2020, 03:00:38 PM

Author
3 Body Problem (Netflix) (Read 2,713 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

When there is a Lost reference, I'm here !

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 05, 2024, 08:51:17 AMWhen there is a Lost reference, I'm here !

I loved that show!

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

BringbackJonesy!

BringbackJonesy!

I really loved the Chinese version of this show!

I've never read the books, but despite the Tencent-produced Three-Body being 30 episodes long compared to Netflix's 3 Body Problem being only 8 episodes, I wanted to start with the adaption which was supposedly closest to the author's characters...even if it meant having to read 'subtitles' all the way through.

And I'm so glad that I did.  While there was a slower-burn pace at times to the Three-Body storyline, I found it's mystery and philosophical musings engrossing throughout, and really liked the main cast of actors and actresses involved.  In comparison, the casually sweary tone and condensed nature of Netflix's 3 Body Problem was much less appealing to me.

The awesome 'Judgment Day' tanker sequence was built-up to and executed far more satisfyingly in the Chinese version too, as far as I'm concerned, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Despite certain limitations at times, I found the Three-Body show to be riveting viewing due to the fact that I didn't know what to expect from the storyline, and it can be seen here for free (without ads) for anyone that's interested - https://www.viki.com/tv/39255c-three-body

It seems that the director recently re-edited the show down to 26 episodes for an 'Anniversary Edition' release, which removes certain added material that wasn't in the first book, and streamlines the pacing of the show overall.  Either way, Three-Body is the definitive adaption of the story for me if I ever decide to have a re-watch of it one day. 

As far as I know, Tencent has already given the go-ahead for the second season which will cover the 'The Dark Forest' book, and if the Netflix show ever gets a follow-up too, I'll certainly check it out as well.  Either way, I now intend to actually read the books as I can't wait that long to see what happens next! :laugh:

Lastly, here's a short, spoiler-free video which gives a quick rundown of the differences and similarities to the original books -

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

But the chinese version doesn't have the beautiful Eiza Gonzalez in it...

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 15, 2024, 02:30:53 PMBut the chinese version doesn't have the beautiful Eiza Gonzalez in it...

She acted well in the series. Although there is one negative I should point out, I find her beauty a little distracting. Not saying scientists can't be beautfiul or glamourous, and certainly there are good looking scientists and engineers in real life, but Gonzalez just had that "Hollywood glamour" that took me out of the story line a little. As in it was a little hard to believe she could be that brilliant scientist she was supposed to be in the story.

Not Gonzalez's fault I suppose, she was born with Hollywood good looks, haha.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Her character makes up for it by being a hot mess for much of the season.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Just say it! You guys wanted the nerdy looking scientist ;D (jk! ;))

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1781097147913679149

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

She definitely was interesting. And really pretty too. Damn this show has beautiful women.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

The ai lady was smoking Hot too!

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Yes ! And Jin too ! All of them !

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed