Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 770,316 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

This thread is about as close to reaching a consensus as the Weimar Republic was.

But it almost never fails to make me wanna rerereread En attendant Godot --

The Old One

The Old One

We've got a good place to wait here, waiting for God to return and raise his servants to redemption. (And we already figured it out, in fact, the Blu-ray Main Menu's existed for ten years now with the answer.) And the thread's about the Egg, not the Facehugger or anything else, so question answered.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 12, 2020, 10:13:49 AM
https://youtu.be/-DveScyIu8U

Is this menu supposed to be depicting an accurate, scale representation of the Sulaco at the 0:24 mark?

The Old One

The Old One

Ahaha. Yes and no. It matters not.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Shouldn't there be more EEVs?

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 15, 2020, 03:08:08 PM

Perhaps there are more on the opposite side of the Sulaco?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Alien³ on Jan 16, 2020, 11:51:45 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 15, 2020, 03:08:08 PM

Perhaps there are more on the opposite side of the Sulaco?

Maybe, but my point is that there should be at least one more row of EEVs below the one that was ejected from the Sulaco in Alien 3, as seen here:

The Blu-ray menu only shows one row.  That calls its reliability into question.

The Old One

The Old One

It does not, as it's only using the available to represent, such as using the imagery of the ovipositor to show the action despite the fact it no longer exists by that stage- or the number of aesthetic changes to the Sulaco from Aliens to Alien³- or recontexualising the shot as within the landing gear- but the point it's making is clear, official and on every copy of the film since 2010.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It also tries to sell the idea that this...

...is the dropship landing gear.  I find that so profoundly unconvincing that it almost feels like gaslighting.

I don't see how it's arguing in bad faith to point out that the Blu-ray menu is inconsistent with what we actually see in the films.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Are you talking to yourself again Local?  ;) ;D

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I just like to yell at the clouds sometimes.

At least the cryotubes in both films still vaguely resemble each other enough that you can tell they have the same function.  The location of the egg in Alien 3 looks nothing like a dropship.

The Old One

The Old One

To be fair though, we never see the interior of that area, it's entirely possible.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

So, the interior of this landing gear well...

...is supposed to somehow contain the row of support beams (not to mention the light source) from the other screenshot?  ???

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Can we not just accept that the start of Alien 3 is a continuity clusterf*ck? :'(

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It can all go away if Ripley would just wake up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed