Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 771,440 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think the skull makes them less alien too.

Hate the skull.

As for the trite complaint that any particular aspect makes them less alien than they "should" be, they were never very alien to begin with.  The Thing is way more alien by comparison.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 05, 2016, 07:54:53 PM
I think the skull makes them more creepy too.

Love the skull.

As for the trite complaint that any particular aspect makes them less alien than they "should" be, they were never very alien to begin with.  The Thing is way more alien by comparison.

I agree, the skull is wonderfully creepy  ;)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 05, 2016, 07:54:53 PM
I think the skull makes them less alien too.

Hate the skull.

The Thing and the Alien are really interesting counterpoints on the "Lovecraftian cosmic horror" spectrum. The Alien looks fairly recognizable (humanoid, two arms, two legs, a head, a tail, has insect-like traits, etc) but its behavior, especially in the first movie, is otherworldly, unpredictable, and unknowable. The Thing, on the other hand, can take any physical form it wants (and that form is often totally f**king crazy, with multiple eyes, teeth, heads, limbs, tentacles, etc) but its behavior is largely rational and predictable behavior you'd expect from an intelligent, technologically advanced lifeform.

windebieste

windebieste

I really hope one day someone makes the definitive version of 'At the Mountains of Madness'.  ...or at least an interpretation that complements Lovecraft's piece in a comparable manner that 'John Carpenter's The Thing' is a worthy interpretation of Campbell's 'Who Goes There'.

-Windebieste.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 06, 2016, 02:32:26 AM
I really hope one day someone makes the definitive version of 'At the Mountains of Madness'.  ...or at least an interpretation that complements Lovecraft's piece in a comparable manner that 'John Carpenter's The Thing' is a worthy interpretation of Campbell's 'Who Goes There'.

-Windebieste.
You and me both, although 'Prometheus' (and 'AvP') is a pretty deliberate homage. So is the video game "Dead Space 3", for that matter.

I wish Guillermo del Toro's planned AtMoM adaptation hadn't been derailed by Prometheus. Maybe someday he'll get a chance to revisit it.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 04, 2016, 02:28:58 PM
Quote from: Vermillion on Dec 04, 2016, 02:20:59 PM
So the Alien is not so "Alien"

One could argue that after Prometheus, the alien isn't really alien at all.

Or that in fact, we are alien

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 06, 2016, 06:20:50 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 04, 2016, 02:28:58 PM
Quote from: Vermillion on Dec 04, 2016, 02:20:59 PM
So the Alien is not so "Alien"

One could argue that after Prometheus, the alien isn't really alien at all.

Or that in fact, we are alien
In a real sense, David is the Alien. The only reason no one notices is that Weyland made him in his own image. As a life form he could have been given any shape and any trait.

Vermillion

Vermillion

David is the biomechanical part of the Alien Physiology.
He is the space jockey.
The god of his creation.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

It sure sounds that way but I really hope there's a twist that makes it not so...

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Yes the idea of a mere android creating or recreating Xenos doesn't sit well with me either, since Alien establishes that the Derelict and its cargo is centuries old.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I don't like the idea of David making them either.

The Engineers making them in the past, sure. But not someone who's only just shown up making them there and then.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Ectomorph on Dec 04, 2016, 04:20:37 PM
There are 105 pages worth of posts, so forgive me if someone has pointed this out before - but wouldn't there have to be two eggs on the ship?

In Alien 3 novelization theres two

SM

SM

The novelisation only ever mentions one which dies before the EEVs are launched.
The second armoured one never rates a mention till it's found dead.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Yep.

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

i still like the idea that has been put up that alien3 is a dream of ripley in cryosleep, and resurection is a follow up of that dream.

as for bishop putting an egg up there:

that's impossible. bishop remotely operated the second dropship to get to the planet, and then they went to the sulaco.
the moment they stepped off the dropship and on the sulaco, bishop got tail-impaled and cut in half by the queen.

bishop could not have put an egg there, especially on the cieling, whilst simply handicapped by being in 2 halves.

also, when would have he done that? if he did this somehow covertly, then it surely would have been seen by ripley, newt,
or even hicks perhaps when entering the cryo chamber. also, the facehugger should have been triggered when they then
enter the room, not when they are vast asleep in the cryo, and rather impossible to enter the beds.

if he did it whilst everybody was asleep, then he somehow must have been able to 'awaken' or exit the cryobed, despite being
handicapped, then put an egg on the cieling, and went back in cryo? no.

there supposedly also was a fire aboard the sulaco which triggered the escape pod to be sent off. where did the fire originate from?

i doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

even if an alien would have been hiding aboard the dropship whilst the fight between the queen and co played out, protecting an egg,
then it still makes no sense why the alien put it on the cieling, and simply did not unboxed ripley, newt and hicks from their cryos.

there is simply no reasonable explanation for the egg to be there.
the only way to sneak out of that logical fallacy is to either keep completely ignoring it,
or to fix it by turning the alien3 and resurection movies into a dream of ripley.

have the story of alien 5 continue where aliens [alien2] left off, and have the sulaco reappear at the space station at the beginning of alien2 [aliens].
include the idea that there was an unprotected egg aboard the dropship where the queen hide herself.
still, it would just be a repeat of alien just on a big station with lots of people.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed