Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 42,492 times)

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 08, 2023, 02:01:15 PMHe's just repeating himself over and over like a stuck record.

The tiny little lines of dialogue you're using to prove your point do not in fact prove your point. They're either too obscure and can be interpreted many different ways (but apparently only one way according to you, your way and only yours) or they don't remotely mean what they think you think they mean.

Yes the Company and other Government bodies were involved in the investigation of the disappearance of the Nostromo.

NOBODY IS DENYING THAT! WE ARE SAYING AFTER THE INVESTIGATION CONCLUDES AND THEY DONT BELIEVE RIPLEY'S VERSION OF EVENTS THEY LET IT GO AND MOVE ON! "Move on". Something you seem to be unable to do!

Burke acts alone after the investigation is closed. So please stop spewing the same dialogue lines over and over again.

And yes we've already mentioned Burke telling Bishop to pack up the specimens. So? Burke is an Android, he follows orders. If Gorman or Apone or even Hicks isn't giving Bishop any counter orders (please Bishop whatever you do don't preserve those specimens and if anyone tells you to do so don't do it". They never say that to him! So a Company official asks him (not orders, asks) to pack them up for return to Company labs and Bishop at that moment in time has no reason to challenge that request. That is literally all it is.

What different ways? You only referred to one point in your post, so let's look at that.

The point isn't that Bishop is following orders because he's an android, it's that he's working for Burke. But according to one manual, he's supposed to be working for the military. So which is it?

Next, if Burke is giving Bishop orders because you claim Gorman, Apone, or Hicks didn't or didn't give any countermands, then does that mean that the orders of the Marines was to prepare the facehuggers for company labs?

Third, didn't Ripley mention that the mission is under military jurisdiction, and that Burke doesn't contradict that? And why does Hicks disregard Burke's argument and want the colony nuked? That contradicts your claim that Hicks is involved. Likely, it's only Gorman, who gives only enough instructions to Apone, who in turn does the same to the "grunts". That is, the latter are instructed to rescue "juicy" colonists' daughters with Apone surpervising them, which is why they're so excited about doing that, and even after reading Ripley's brief. Meanwhile, Bishop is left to "analyze" the facehuggers to the point that they even either forgot about him as they called Ferro to rescue them or that they figured that because he's a synth then the aliens would leave him alone.

What about Gorman? He left Bishop to do his analysis (i.e., in light of the point given a manual that Bishop is under his command), followed his usual role as commander of the unit, but met with Burke and read Ripley's brief before his men did. In addition, I'd have to come up with another cartoonish context about greenhorn lieutenants suddenly able to commandeer military assets and men, and without knowledge of his higher-ups, as that can only show that Burke was working alone.

Hence, we have a cartoon villain aided by a cartoon military character, with their cartoon high-ups not knowing what's going on because, you know, they're cartoon characters, which means they don't care about profits (which is what kids who watch cartoons don't think about), and meant to support the cartoon storyline that the cartoon villain was working alone.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jul 08, 2023, 09:31:08 PM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jul 08, 2023, 02:31:18 PMWait... people still read Ralfy's posts here? There's an ignore button you know. 🤣

But from the replies, let me guess; movie misquotes, out-there interpretations, Burke wasn't working alone, everyone knew the location of the derelict, Arcturians are aliens, the entire alien fandom and everyone who's ever watched the movie are fanboys and wrong, only Ralfy is right, James Cameron doesn't understand his own movie, etc etc blah blah waffle... (am I on the mark?) 😂

Nailed it.

Can't counter my argument, can't explain why they're "misquotes," can't explain why explanations following what the OP shared is "out there," basically repeating to himself that Burke was working alone to maintain the cartoon villain storyline, referring to Arcturians when the ECA Rep refers to none, and now desperately referring to Cameron because he can't think for himself and use the same script that the director wrote.

Yep, definitely nailed it.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jul 08, 2023, 08:38:58 PMhttps://i.redd.it/4rmnucln1gia1.png
I'm just glad it isn't another Egg on the Sulaco thread resurrection.
Good to hear that, but I'll see if I can help out in that thread, too.

Here's something to think about: Bishop receiving orders from Burke, and people still figuring out how those eggs were found on the Sulaco.

Kradan

Kradan

*checks first page*

Wait, this thread is 5 years old ? f**k

oduodu

oduodu

ralfy ty for indicating your sources. but you change your arguments from one thing to another halfway through your point.

quite simply : do you believe burke was working alone?

yay or nay?

SiL

SiL

Ralfy thinks "working alone" means Burke plans to take eggs home and sell them personally on eBay.

Please be more specific with him.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: SiL on Jul 09, 2023, 09:08:39 AMRalfy thinks "working alone" means Burke plans to take eggs home and sell them personally on eBay.

Nah, Burke was going to sell them at his local farmer's market

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 09, 2023, 03:44:26 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jul 09, 2023, 09:08:39 AMRalfy thinks "working alone" means Burke plans to take eggs home and sell them personally on eBay.

"But but, Burke... and the company, and the fbi... they were all in on it! They all had a derelict treasure map from the Nostromo black box, and Bishop works for Burke!! Weyland Yutani owns the colonial marines!! Remember the line in the movie "Arcturian poontang"? It means the Arcturians beamed the egg aboard the sulaco from their flying saucer, it's there in the script see? SEE!?? You're just trolls and fanboys if you say otherwise! Remember the line "maybe it's like an ant hive"? It's cause of BUG HUNTS!! Big giant Ant Kaiju that space marines fight in powerloaders daily! James Cameron only wrote and directed the movie, he doesn't understand - IM QUOTING THE SCRIIIIPT!!!" ~Ralfy~

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jul 09, 2023, 04:49:02 PM

"But but, Burke... and the company, and the fbi... they were all in on it! They all had a derelict treasure map from the Nostromo black box, and Bishop works for Burke!! Weyland Yutani owns the colonial marines!! Remember the line in the movie "Arcturian poontang"? It means the Arcturians beamed the egg aboard the sulaco from their flying saucer, it's there in the script see? SEE!?? You're just trolls and fanboys if you say otherwise! Remember the line "maybe it's like an ant hive"? It's cause of BUG HUNTS!! Big giant Ant Kaiju that space marines fight in powerloaders daily! James Cameron only wrote and directed the movie, he doesn't understand - IM QUOTING THE SCRIIIIPT!!!" ~Ralfy~
Love this.

Engineer

Engineer

Ok but where do the farmer's markets fit in to this?

SiL

SiL

The fact he's not planning on selling them on the farmers market is proof he's not working alone, duh.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It's all about the landing location, yo.

Engineer

Engineer

Oh
That's right
Silly me
If he's working with someone that means he must be trying to sell them to "Market of Choice"

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: oduodu on Jul 09, 2023, 06:24:05 AMralfy ty for indicating your sources. but you change your arguments from one thing to another halfway through your point.

quite simply : do you believe burke was working alone?

yay or nay?

I never argued that he was working alone. But others did and gave two reasons:

1. If he didn't, then that would turn W-Y into a "cartoon villain." That means it's absurd for companies to do something like make Burke a point man.

2. Cameron says so.

My counterarguments:

1. It's the other way round: in the real world, companies and even governments do such things, and the reference to the Reagan era in the OP is notable. Ollie North, for example, was the point man in Irangate but received flak to cover the President's hide, and the S&L scandal, among others, revealed collusion between the financial elite and the government. There's also neoconservatism via support for various dictatorships worldwide while dishing out the "evil empire" storyline. In contrast to this is view that Ollie acted alone. It's like those Wacky Races episodes where it's always and only the fault of Dick Dastardly, but with Muttley getting the last laugh. One could imagine Burke twirling his thin mustache and laughing insanely. LOL.

2. Relying on the author for the meaning of a work is a very old and antiquated view, and becomes irrational when one discovers things in the work that contradict his intentions, so I don't see why anyone in his right mind would keep pushing this, and in, of all places, a thread that analyzes the film.

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 09, 2023, 05:40:31 AM*checks first page*

Wait, this thread is 5 years old ? f**k

Non-fans won't understand this.

Quote from: Jonjamess on Jul 09, 2023, 09:03:38 PM

Love this.

Burke wasn't in on it. Rather, he got the information about the landing site during the inquiry, together with government officials, insurers, etc.

Bishop works for Burke because he told Ripley that he received instructions from him to prepare the specimens from the company lab.

W-Y doesn't own the Colonial Marines. Rather, W-Y works with the government that owns the Colonial Marines. That's why Ripley argues in the first movie that the reason why they're expendable is because the company wants to use alien tech through its bioweapons division. Usually, the main recipient of such is the military, which works for the government.

The reference to Arcturans contradicts the claim by the ECA Rep that they had not found a creature that Ripley describes in three hundred explored worlds. One can argue that they're still correct, i.e., they had found other creatures like Arcturans but not like the alien. But my understanding is that the reason they don't believe her is because they had not found anything sophisticated in those worlds. Hence, "No indigenous
 life larger than a simple virus."

But if they had encountered Arcturans, then why dismiss Ripley's claims easily, especially given the fact that they have the location of the alien ship. It'd just be a matter of asking those who are on the planet, like the colonists, to find out. More important, Ripley wants to defend herself, and that's also the only piece of evidence she has left.

Last point: the movie is based on the script, so why the hysterical trolling? Even now they still can't counter my arguments in a rational manner, which is why I've no choice but to ignore them.

oduodu

oduodu

start quote

Relying on the author for the meaning of a work is a very old and antiquated view, and becomes irrational when one discovers things in the work that contradict his intentions, so I don't see why anyone in his right mind would keep pushing this, and in, of all places, a thread that analyzes the film.

end quote

i am saying it is A WAY. not the only way.    for me at least it is as important as any other way.

where does cameron contradict his original intentions?

ok so ya saying burke did not work alone.

SiL

SiL

1. Assume the movie is wrong

2. Work backwards

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: oduodu on Jul 10, 2023, 10:37:02 AMstart quote

Relying on the author for the meaning of a work is a very old and antiquated view, and becomes irrational when one discovers things in the work that contradict his intentions, so I don't see why anyone in his right mind would keep pushing this, and in, of all places, a thread that analyzes the film.

end quote

i am saying it is A WAY. not the only way.    for me at least it is as important as any other way.

where does cameron contradict his original intentions?

ok so ya saying burke did not work alone.

You answered your own question.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed