Anyone else hates the xenomorph design on Covenant?

Started by rafaelgg, Mar 03, 2019, 09:23:07 PM

Author
Anyone else hates the xenomorph design on Covenant? (Read 13,632 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

I do enjoy the unique design of the Planet 4 Xenomorphs, especially when considering it a unique strain that David has resurrected/created using the Black Pathogen. The bio-mechanical designs of the original quadrilogy are the best though.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Mar 27, 2019, 09:01:12 AM
I do enjoy the unique design of the Planet 4 Xenomorphs, especially when considering it a unique strain that David has resurrected/created using the Black Pathogen. The bio-mechanical designs of the original quadrilogy are the best though.

;)

SiL

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Mar 27, 2019, 09:01:12 AM
It works considering it's the first ever iteration of an Alien in the universe's timeline and he hasn't put the finishing biomechanical touches on it.

Frosty Venom

David having not yet put the bio-mechanical finishing touches on his Xenomorph creation to evolve it into what we see in the original films is fan theory. I'm not saying it's not a viable theory, the film can definitely be read as inferring this but we still don't have those answers.

SiL

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Mar 27, 2019, 09:22:43 AM
David having not yet put the bio-mechanical finishing touches on his Xenomorph creation to evolve it into what we see in the original films is fan theory.
Him creating the Alien is stated in the film (might be wrong, whatever; point is, that's what the film itself says); him reusing or rediscovering designs isn't.

Corporal Hicks

David having not yet put the bio-mechanical finishing touches on his Xenomorph creation to evolve it into what we see in the original films is fan theory. I'm not saying it's not a viable theory, the film can definitely be read as inferring this but we still don't have those answers.

It's not a fan theory. The film very clearly states that David is responsible for the creation of the Aliens. The powers-that-be state the same. They also state the lack of biomechanical detailing is because they haven't been introduced into the design yet.

Nostromo

Nostromo

The design in Alien Covenant absolutely sucked. Head looks like black matte plastic, body is really skinny, and it moved like a complete turd with all that CGI crap except in a few scenes. Pretty much the same sh!t from Alien 3.

[/quote]

But you are forgeting the fact that on Covenant the xeno walk on its four legs almost all time and not bipedly.
[/quote]

That's the reason it sucked mostly. Even when bipedaling, it looked like fake cgi utter crap.

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 03, 2019, 09:42:40 PM
Appreciate the greater scope of Ridley's vision for these movies and you'll understand the Covenant design is the first in an iterative process.  It's David's first 'creation' and lacks the biomechanical features of later creatures we see in 'ALIEN' and 'ALIENS'. 

There's a piece of dialogue David delivers at some point (It's not in the movie - I'm not sure of it's origin) that gives it all away "The future is neither organic or synthetic - it's biomechanical".  This statement alone tells us he's not finished with the design of the creature.  That what we see in 'ALIEN' is yet to be made. 

So, it's not a bad design, but part of a much larger plan on the part of the film maker.  This story isn't supposed to end with 'ALIEN Covenant'.  The movie's closing scene was a clear indicator of more to come.   

The Covenant Alien was just the start.  ...and yes. Like Stompy, it too has digitigrade legs.   (NECA makes good stuff, huh.)

-Windebieste.

If that's true and a different better design closer to the original shows up, with a quick mention of the transformation etc. than I'd completely forgive the AC design, it would make sense.

SM

Yes we do.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 27, 2019, 09:30:58 AM

It's not a fan theory. The film very clearly states that David is responsible for the creation of the Aliens. The powers-that-be state the same. They also state the lack of biomechanical detailing is because they haven't been introduced into the design yet.

I've barely read a lick about Covenant and only saw it once on release, so forgive my ignorance here: if they say that David is responsible for later creating the biomechanical look, do they explain why the derelict was biomechanical in the first film? I'm just a little confused.

Corporal Hicks

Samhain13

When was it said that David would add the biomechanical details to the alien? Was that Ridley?

Corporal Hicks

It was during the set visit interviews. It was in Collider's, I think.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 27, 2019, 08:21:35 PM
When was it said that David would add the biomechanical details to the alien? Was that Ridley?

Covenant's Production Designer, Chris Seagers hinted at that:

Quote from: Chris Seagers"The aesthetic choices aren't just superficial, they tie into the larger story. "Technically, we're slightly earlier than the Giger stuff, a little bit," Seagers explained. "We're sort of edging into that. That's part of that whole storyline."

Frosty Venom

David having yet to add the bio-mechanical features is one interpretation of that quote.

You gotta take behind the scenes quotes with a grain of salt, it can always change in the next film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed