All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 341,766 times)

Gazz

Gazz

The latest episode is up and takes a look at Star Trek V - So Very Tired.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Prez

Prez

Quote from: SiL on Apr 22, 2023, 07:06:53 AM
Quote from: Prez on Apr 20, 2023, 11:58:51 AMMaybe I am a bit old on this but I prefer my Trek to Boldly Go and be hopeful. Gritty and edgy doesn't seem Trek to me.
I'm not sure what our age gap is (and I imagine you wouldn't want to think about it?) but I agree. Some of the OG Trek had heavy ideas -- but it wasn't "f**k you" gritty and edgy, it was "hey wouldn't it suck if you had to let someone get run over or else really screw with reality?"

I hit the half century last year (though that feels weird even saying that).
And still I find it out of place to hear my favourite Trek cast drop the F bomb.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Prez on Apr 24, 2023, 04:45:27 AM
Quote from: Prez on Apr 20, 2023, 11:58:51 AMMaybe I am a bit old on this but I prefer my Trek to Boldly Go and be hopeful. Gritty and edgy doesn't seem Trek to me.
I'm not sure what our age gap is (and I imagine you wouldn't want to think about it?) but I agree. Some of the OG Trek had heavy ideas -- but it wasn't "f**k you" gritty and edgy, it was "hey wouldn't it suck if you had to let someone get run over or else really screw with reality?"

And still I find it out of place to hear my favourite Trek cast drop the F bomb.

Just imagine if the Tarantino movie happened. "You green blooded f**king f**k!" - Bones

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Gazz on Apr 23, 2023, 10:01:05 PMThe latest episode is up and takes a look at Star Trek V - So Very Tired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iVtCJnGz6Y

Ridiculing "The Final Frontiers" has become a pastime among Trekkies. And they are not wrong, it is the weakest entry in the original six movies. The nightmare that was the production of the Final Frontiers is now well-known to Trekkies. Shatner's over-inflated ego, his inexperience directing a major Hollywood production, the  crew striking combined with budget cuts mandated by the studio all made the end product a bad joke.

Of course, the whole idea of "finding God" was strange for a plot to begin with. And the special effects, without ILM, just looked horrid even for 1989. Heck, even a TNG TV episode airing in the same period had better effects for a fraction of the movie budget.

But with all that said, mocking the Final Frontiers is a low-hanging fruit for me. More interesting is that despite all those flaws...I don't hate the movie. If I am in the right mood, I would even find it enjoyable to watch. I mean the movie moves at a good pace, the chemistry between Kirk, Spock and McCoy had never been better, exemplified by the campfire scenes, which I actually liked. Laurence Luckinbill also did a good job with what he was given playing Sybok.

Am I saying the Final Frontiers is actually a good movie, a masterpiece even, that has been undeservedly criticized by generations of fans? No. It is undeniably a bad movie in the conventional sense. The scorn heaped onto the film aren't misplaced. Its just that...despite all those issues, the movie is still better than the absolute nadir in the Trek film series, Nemesis. That was simply turd-quality, even Final Frontiers was better. My thoughts on Shatner's (in)famous directing job is actually closer to this fellow, who gives a nuanced take on the Final Frontiers:

Prez

Prez

Quote from: KiramidHead on Apr 24, 2023, 05:22:55 AM
Quote from: Prez on Apr 24, 2023, 04:45:27 AM

Just imagine if the Tarantino movie happened. "You green blooded f**king f**k!" - Bones

Hahaha. Thing is though Tarantino is great at exposition and character development. I think that combo (whilst so intrinsically poles apart) would actually be very interesting and work.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Gazz on Apr 23, 2023, 10:01:05 PMThe latest episode is up and takes a look at Star Trek V - So Very Tired.

I thought you did one on Final Frontier ? Not that I'm complaining, of course, always a pleasure to hear a new episode

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 24, 2023, 12:24:03 PM

I thought you did one on Final Frontier ? Not that I'm complaining, of course, always a pleasure to hear a new episode

Oh we did. This is a highlight reel of a few talking points, something we're making for youtube to drive traffic to the podcast (and it has worked quite amazingly). So in the off weeks when we don't publish a new episode, we'll put out one of these highlight reels from a previous one.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Cougerboy on Apr 24, 2023, 11:22:34 AM

Ridiculing "The Final Frontiers" has become a pastime among Trekkies. And they are not wrong, it is the weakest entry in the original six movies. The nightmare that was the production of the Final Frontiers is now well-known to Trekkies. Shatner's over-inflated ego, his inexperience directing a major Hollywood production, the  crew striking combined with budget cuts mandated by the studio all made the end product a bad joke.

Of course, the whole idea of "finding God" was strange for a plot to begin with. And the special effects, without ILM, just looked horrid even for 1989. Heck, even a TNG TV episode airing in the same period had better effects for a fraction of the movie budget.

But with all that said, mocking the Final Frontiers is a low-hanging fruit for me. More interesting is that despite all those flaws...I don't hate the movie. If I am in the right mood, I would even find it enjoyable to watch. I mean the movie moves at a good pace, the chemistry between Kirk, Spock and McCoy had never been better, exemplified by the campfire scenes, which I actually liked. Laurence Luckinbill also did a good job with what he was given playing Sybok.

Am I saying the Final Frontiers is actually a good movie, a masterpiece even, that has been undeservedly criticized by generations of fans? No. It is undeniably a bad movie in the conventional sense. The scorn heaped onto the film aren't misplaced. Its just that...despite all those issues, the movie is still better than the absolute nadir in the Trek film series, Nemesis. That was simply turd-quality, even Final Frontiers was better. My thoughts on Shatner's (in)famous directing job is actually closer to this fellow, who gives a nuanced take on the Final Frontiers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ogp_8Shmg0

I like things in Final Frontier. The trio hanging out at the beginning is mana for Kirk-Spock-Bones fans. Well, my wife loved it anyway. She'd watch those three camp and fish all day. The scenes at the end are really effective, the ones where the guys are being challenged - Bones has to face up to euthanizing his father, Kirk's "I need my pain!"

Definitely the weakest entry of course. I barely remember the plot. Just moments. This film is awkwardly sandwiched between two great Trek movies.

Gazz

Gazz

Those are exactly my favourite parts of the film too, and scenes we take a look at in the video. I also don't blame Shatner entirely for the outcome of the final film. The concept is ambitious and comes from an interesting place (inspired by Shatner's opinion of televangelists), but has been neutered by committee and executed by a director who really needed to know more about the technical demands of filmmaking.

I know I'm repeating myself from the video, but under the circumstances it needed a director like James Cameron; one who knows the technical details inside and out. The effects studios promised Shatner the world and he expected it to pay off. When the effects started coming in looking as they did, it was already too late. I guess Shatner's naivety is what killed the film ultimately, but I still admire his ambition (ego that he is!).

ace3g

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

That is wonderful and very emotional. Generations remains probably the biggest missed opportunity of the entire franchise for me.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I do think Generations is underappreciated. It's got such strong character throughout.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Cougerboy on Apr 24, 2023, 11:22:34 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ogp_8Shmg0

I love the Campfire scene too. I also like how they question the false god, "don't you know my name? Arn't you god?" and "what does god need with a starship?"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed