Looming SAG-AFTRA strike throws a monkey wrench into Alien series production

Started by Gimitko, Jul 13, 2023, 09:12:38 AM

Author
Looming SAG-AFTRA strike throws a monkey wrench into Alien series production (Read 17,025 times)

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: Enjoy on Jul 27, 2023, 02:04:56 PMI heard studio execs had trees cut down that provided shade to the protesters.  Trees owned by the city. Imagine that mindset.
Yep. They pruned the tree branches that were providing shade.  haha crazy.

Ingwar

bobcunk

bobcunk

I think Marineland bought the surrounding city property so people couldn't protest infront of them.

Quote from: RIP77 on Jul 16, 2023, 02:55:41 PMFede's Alien was filmed without being able to make changes to the script on set. It's something normal and they couldn't because of the strike. The director can make small changes to the script on set, but no more.

But what if they did anyway? What kind of fined and penalties are we talking? I know in other businesses people bread rules and laws all the time because the profits are greater than the fines if caught.

The re-recordings are important and more so in this context where they could not improve the script on set.

All movies need to improve the script on set and especially small or large reshoots.

Now they can't do reshoots without actors.

Nightmare Asylum

Writers Strike updates, but I figure I'll post here since we've been using this thread as a sort of catch-all for Strike discussion in general:

Writers Strike: AMPTP, WGA Set Meeting to Discuss Resuming Long-Stalled Contract Talks

https://variety.com/2023/biz/news/writers-strike-carol-lombardini-ellen-stutzman-wga-1235685400/

Eal

At this point, even if it ruins an Alien movie, I'm happy if studios completely implode structurally. Hoisted up by their own petard so to speak.

If the strike doesn't do it, then the AI sweep that will come will definitely. It wouldn't be a 'revolution' in any sense, but more like a slow death and beautiful rebirth of something new.

Think about it: if writers could be 'replaced', then executives, CEOs and Investors can too. It's not that they'd accept that...but if you /showed/ it was possible, you'd basically be stripping away any importance and belief in them that they hold as people at the top of the food chain.

BlueMarsalis79

Eal

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 02, 2023, 05:05:12 PMIf only.

TLDR: The CEOS are not worried about AI taking over humanity or the people under them, or about the damage they're personally causing...but that it'll be eventually shown that they too are expendable and replaceable by AI. And being cut off from that money scares the shit out of them the most, lol.

Eal

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 03, 2023, 12:44:27 PMhttps://twitter.com/Variety/status/1687078782975246336

Awful.
I swear, a nuclear holocaust could be going on, and these ghoulish pricks would be talking about how much money they saved for special effects.

SiL

Like how they used video of the Beirut explosion as the base of a special effects shot in that new sci-fi movie The Creator?

Kradan

Eal

Quote from: SiL on Aug 05, 2023, 04:47:05 AMLike how they used video of the Beirut explosion as the base of a special effects shot in that new sci-fi movie The Creator?

I....I...

Nightmare Asylum

Already posted this in the Marvel thread, but just going to cross-post it here for eventual relevance if/when it swings around to impact this:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1688660261497196544

Eal

Glad to hear. Let's hope more follow suit.

Ingwar

Ingwar

It's getting worse. I doubt it will be solved this year.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed