Test Screening Reactions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 07, 2017, 08:34:43 PM

Author
Test Screening Reactions (Read 23,149 times)

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 14, 2017, 10:57:36 PM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on Feb 14, 2017, 10:13:32 PM
I honestly don't think this current story can go another round. What is there left to tell that this movie cannot do? Do we really need another weyland yutani ship to go another round in another 2 hour movie only for the last 5 minutes to tie into Alien? Don't get me wrong, I love this series but I just question how far they can drag these prequels out.

They could do something with SO 937 to tie into Alien or a prequel to Prometheus centered around the engineer base on LV-223 with the original derelict ship. The prequel storyline is a contrived and nonsensical mess as it is.

Isn't there kinda a tie-in on the Blu-Ray extras of Prometheus?  I also kinda figure SO 937 comes about from the Covenant mission?  As of the end of Prometheus Weyland corp has zero knowledge of what is actually there, so there has to be a second mission that goes back to LV223/LV426 and something happens.  Or maybe there is a Yutani mission before the merger that hasn't been documented. 

The other idea could be that SO 937 is just a blanket order for all synthetics that encounter any extraterrestrial life, and thus it doesn't need to be tied in.  It just is because it was programmed that way.  No further explanation needed. 

Richman678

Richman678

Quote from: CainsSon on Feb 14, 2017, 11:45:54 PM
Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Feb 14, 2017, 05:06:02 PM
Yep, i can't wait for Marketing to start. 8)

Yeah... Any month now.

Maybe we will get another trailer in June?....hehehehe

Predaker

Predaker

Quote from: fiveways on Feb 14, 2017, 11:56:24 PM
I honestly don't think this current story can go another round. What is there left to tell that this movie cannot do? Do we really need another weyland yutani ship to go another round in another 2 hour movie only for the last 5 minutes to tie into Alien? Don't get me wrong, I love this series but I just question how far they can drag these prequels out.

They could do something with SO 937 to tie into Alien or a prequel to Prometheus centered around the engineer base on LV-223 with the original derelict ship. The prequel storyline is a contrived and nonsensical mess as it is.

Isn't there kinda a tie-in on the Blu-Ray extras of Prometheus?  I also kinda figure SO 937 comes about from the Covenant mission?  As of the end of Prometheus Weyland corp has zero knowledge of what is actually there, so there has to be a second mission that goes back to LV223/LV426 and something happens.  Or maybe there is a Yutani mission before the merger that hasn't been documented. 

The other idea could be that SO 937 is just a blanket order for all synthetics that encounter any extraterrestrial life, and thus it doesn't need to be tied in.  It just is because it was programmed that way.  No further explanation needed.

That's how I took SO 937 to be - automated or preprogrammed in the system.

Not sure about the tie in... I think Ridley once said the third or fourth film in the prequel series would tie directly into Alien but I also remember talk of how this new series of films was supposed to move further away from the originals and do its own thing, as well. It seems Ridley had some relatively vague themes or ideas he wanted to explore and they're just kind of making the rest of it up as they go.

fiveways

fiveways

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 15, 2017, 02:01:12 AM

Not sure about the tie in... I think Ridley once said the third or fourth film in the prequel series would tie directly into Alien but I also remember talk of how this new series of films was supposed to move further away from the originals and do its own thing, as well. It seems Ridley had some relatively vague themes or ideas he wanted to explore and they're just kind of making the rest of it up as they go.

They also really played with stuff for the blu-ray release.  Ridley clearly said in interview that LV223 and LV426 were on the other end of the galaxy from each other, then that changed.  They mention the signal from LV426 in passing on the blu-ray.  Looks like someone decided to go back on a lot of what he said if he didn't and he just rolled with it.

It looks like the further away thing was only for prometheus and now they are going in the other direction.  I would say it was nice to see them dropping surprises but, yeah, it seems liek they just don't really have a plan currently.

Protozoid

Protozoid

Quote from: Predaker on Feb 15, 2017, 02:01:12 AM

Up until very recently, the Prometheus sequels were supposed to go in their own direction and the tiny amount of Alien references we got in Prometheus were going to be the only connection to Alien. What I think changed is Alien 5. Scott couldn't keep delaying Prometheus 2 if Blomkamp was ready to shoot and everyone was behind Alien 5. He'd risk the Alien series taking over, again. This is a way of guaranteeing that Blomkamp can't fit his movie in between Covenant sequels. Too confusing, so Alien 5 is on indefinite hold. But this also involved abandoning the Prometheus sequel plan and coming up with this compromise movie. They can't get back on track after Covenant. The Prometheus sequel storyline wouldn't be possible, anymore. They just turned Prometheus 2 into the subplot of the next Alien movie. If the leaked descriptions are true, we're in for a worse sequel to Prometheus than Alien3 was to Aliens. It sucks being a Prometheus fan, I'll tell you...

D88M

D88M

wtf, spoiler alert, i liked Prometheus, this movie looks good, but no Rapace? looked cheap and awful? really? the story doesnt sound good either, it is for real?

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 08, 2017, 12:56:04 PM

The problem is that maybe some people who watched Covenant test screening expected direct continuity to Prometheus. They wanted Shaw. They wanted Engineers. For that reason some of them probably called it a mess. But it's not a mess. It's just different story. They got something they didn't expect and now they're disappointed. I claim it might happened worldwide. But I don't care :)

it is a sequel, they cant not continue the story in some way, i am expecting the movie to be good and answer some stuff from the previous one and taking this spoilers and negativity with caution

please, cover the spoilers, i was unwillingly spoiled, please put a SPOILER TAG and cover that so it cannot be read

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: D88M on Feb 15, 2017, 08:21:19 AM
wtf, spoiler alert, i liked Prometheus, this movie looks good, but no Rapace? looked cheap and awful? really? the story doesnt sound good either, it is for real?

Because the main Prometheus protagonist doesn't play big role in Covenant it doesn't mean that the movie looks cheap and awful. It's just different story. Prometheus was about Shaw (and David) and her journey but Covenant isn't Prometheus sequel in traditional sense, however it shares its DNA. Above all, Covenant is Alien prequel. Story focuses on David.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 14, 2017, 04:47:34 PM
So that does make it four test screenings for Covenant so far. Seems they're struggling to nail some aspect or the other of the film.

Depends if they were both Covenant. I've heard different things from different places in regards to those Monday showings.

D88M

D88M

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2017, 08:34:21 AM
Quote from: D88M on Feb 15, 2017, 08:21:19 AM

Because the main Prometheus protagonist doesn't play big role in Covenant it doesn't mean that the movie looks cheap and awful. It's just different story. Prometheus was about Shaw (and David) and her journey but Covenant isn't Prometheus sequel in traditional sense, however it shares its DNA. Above all, Covenant is Alien prequel. Story focuses on David.

lol that is not what i said at all, i just said various things, i hope the Prometheus sequel part of the movie is not expressed at minimum

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2017, 08:34:21 AM...but Covenant isn't Prometheus sequel in traditional sense, however it shares its DNA.

Oh God, not that "sharing the same DNA" crap again :laugh:

But either way, it is a traditional sequel, because it continues David's story. It doesn't need to focus on the main character for it to be a sequel - look at The Lost World.

irn

irn

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 15, 2017, 10:48:15 AMlook at The Lost World.

And Predator 2.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 15, 2017, 10:48:15 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2017, 08:34:21 AM...but Covenant isn't Prometheus sequel in traditional sense, however it shares its DNA.

Oh God, not that "sharing the same DNA" crap again :laugh:

But either way, it is a traditional sequel, because it continues David's story. It doesn't need to focus on the main character for it to be a sequel - look at The Lost World.

My bad. I wasn't too precise. Let me put this another way: Covenant is more a prequel to Alien than sequel to Prometheus (however it's still sort of sequel). Few points:

Not without a reason its tone and vibe is mixture of Alien/Aliens.
Not without a reason it's got Alien in the title instead of Prometheus.
Not without a reason Fox
Spoiler
got rid of Shaw who meant to be the main protagonist in Prometheus sequel.
[close]

Covenant is like a Frankenstein monster :)

windebieste

windebieste

Think of 'PROMETHEUS' as a Prelude to the Greater 'ALIEN' series and you're on the right track.

By the way, Shelley's 1818 book has the full title of 'Frankenstein - or The Modern Prometheus'.

-Windebieste.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 15, 2017, 12:43:32 PM
Think of 'PROMETHEUS' as a Prelude to the Greater 'ALIEN' series and you're on the right track.

By the way, Shelley's 1818 book has the full title of 'Frankenstein - or The Modern Prometheus'.

-Windebieste.

And now David plays Frankenstein. Modern Prometheus? ;)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2017, 12:21:08 PMMy bad. I wasn't too precise. Let me put this another way: Covenant is more a prequel to Alien than sequel to Prometheus (however it's still sort of sequel).

No, it's a Prometheus sequel, because it continues David's story. Whether or not its a prequel to Alien reamins to be seen.

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2017, 12:21:08 PMNot without a reason its tone and vibe is mixture of Alien/Aliens.

So what? Having a similar tone doesn't make it a prequel. Otherwise countless films could be classified as prequels to Alien.

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2017, 12:21:08 PMNot without a reason it's got Alien in the title instead of Prometheus.

They did that because they think it'll get more people to go watch it (and are probably right).

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2017, 12:21:08 PMNot without a reason Fox
Spoiler
got rid of Shaw who meant to be the main protagonist in Prometheus sequel.
[close]

Spoiler
Except she's in it... And who says she was originally meant to be the main protagonist in the sequel? I honestly don't think they knew precisely where they were going after Prometheus until comparatively recently.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed